Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: İoncrete donkey's 540i timing chain guide replacement

My Cars
    540i/6

İoncrete donkey's 540i timing chain guide replacement

Sorry if you came into here expecting a DIY of some sort (I contemplated this) but this is just a thread following the repairs I am currently working on. Enjoy.

Tore into the motor this past weekend and had to stop at this point

I rented the timing tools from Bimmertoolrental.com and they arrived today

I've had parts ordered from PelicanParts and ECSTuning scattered all around my garage in boxes for weeks

I haven't really taken many pictures today due to the weather over here in NJ but below I have already removed the upper timing covers to begin cleaning...and by cleaning I mean blasting with aluminum oxide.

Then realized I was side tracked while my tool rental time was ticking I'll come back to this later.

Moving on, my apologies to the previous owner if he happens to run across this thread but guy, you took terrible care of this car. Every possible gasket and o-ring are fried... plastic,brittle, oil leaking out everywhere type of fried. I still have other issues to attend to but I decided to replace every gasket and o-ring possible at this moment....while praying to the "Jesus bolt" that the head gaskets are still in tact.

Let us pray

Here are a few comparison shots between the OEM gasket on the right & new Victor Reinz on the left

IMPORTANT - to all of you out there... I cannot stress how important it is to change out your chain tensioners as preventative maintenance. See below for a comparison of the new and old tensioner:

The spring in the old tensioner is shot .. I'm lucky that the slack in the chain didn't allow it to slap against the timing guides. This is @ 130,000 miles.

The fly wheel lock is in place and those are the cams at TDC

Last edited by Concrete Donkey; 05-04-2012 at 05:28 PM.

My Cars
    C63 P31, SLK55, B8 S4
    I just hit 120K, thanks for the motivation! Scary before/after pic, just placed my previously procrastinated order for new tc tensioner!

My Cars
    Pull n Release
    Welcome back Topaz! LOL!!

Another FP5241 Creation
    Parting out M54 Engine. Intake and all. Cats avail as well. PM ME!

My Cars
    540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by Gumbi4u View Post
    Welcome back Topaz! LOL!!
    Try again

My Cars
    F10 N52
    Wow, I don't know if I would have enough balls to tackle this job. What year is your 540i?

My Cars
    2003 525i
    That's a cool thing you did with the C there. I see it.

And lol if that's Topaz.
    Last edited by freethrowdunk; 04-23-2012 at 11:23 PM.

My Cars
    03 540i
    topaz already did his guides months ago... and he bought his own set of timing tools

My Cars
    64-BUICK; 95-E34; 00-E39
    It's DAN and he's got a new 540

woot

• 2000 BMW 540i/6 (Anthrazit Metallic 397)
    • 2001 Buick Park Avenue Ultra (Bronzemist Metallic)
    • 1964 Buick Wildcat (Sunburst Yellow / Arctic White)

Fan Blades Can Explode.. Read My Thread

My Cars
    540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenTiger View Post
    Wow, I don't know if I would have enough balls to tackle this job. What year is your 540i?

Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe87865 View Post
    topaz already did his guides months ago... and he bought his own set of timing tools
    This ^

Quote Originally Posted by fragzem View Post
    It's DAN and he's got a new 540

woot
    Who's DAN? You guys wouldn't know of me since I'm new to the E39 scene.

My Cars
    2003 525i
    Oh, Dan. :/

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    so whats the condition of your timing chain guides at 130k miles? hope you also have a new oil seperator on-hand; i'd definetly swap that out too while im in there.
    2001 540i 6speed metallic silver

My Cars
    540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by mifesto View Post
    so whats the condition of your timing chain guides at 130k miles? hope you also have a new oil seperator on-hand; i'd definetly swap that out too while im in there.
    I will post up a comparison... I tried to snap the plastic on the old timing chain guides without much success. There is a difference in color with the 130k being more of a very dark brown (as opposed to an almost translucent brown on the new guides).

Right now I'm pretty much at my budget for this job... the CCV will have to wait for now I believe I'm somewhere in the $600 ballpark including tool rental/purchase.

My Cars
    03 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Donkey View Post
    I will post up a comparison... I tried to snap the plastic on the old timing chain guides without much success. There is a difference in color with the 130k being more of a very dark brown (as opposed to an almost translucent brown on the new guides).

Right now I'm pretty much at my budget for this job... the CCV will have to wait for now I believe I'm somewhere in the $600 ballpark including tool rental/purchase.

not the CCV, but OSV ... and OSV is inexpensive and will require pulling the lower timing covers and they are pretty brittle at this age and fail often... so its a pretty good idea to hit that.

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    ah so at 130k mileage, the guides still had some life in it? if so that makes me breath a sign of relief for now..... and my oil seperator seems still be doing its job so im alright (for now)

My Cars
    540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by bigjoe87865 View Post
    not the CCV, but OSV ... and OSV is inexpensive and will require pulling the lower timing covers and they are pretty brittle at this age and fail often... so its a pretty good idea to hit that.
    Excellent piece of info... thank you.

My Cars
    01 540i, 88 carrera 3.2
    Not to troll , ... But not cool on bashing the previous owner because if leaking gaskets... Every owner is different. Not every owner overhauls a motor because of a brittle looking gasket unless you are there doing something else already. Unless there is an oil leak, it is totally normal for m62s to have wet timing c overs at 130k. That's not the owners fault, that's bimmers fault.
    If your not pinging you not running enough boost.

Current cars : 03 Saab 95 aero , 97 M3/4/5
    retired : 88 carerra coupe 3.2 , e30 m52 Vert, boosted e34 535i, e39 540i sport, r53 cooper s......

My Cars
    540i/6
    ah so at 130k mileage, the guides still had some life in it? if so that makes me breath a sign of relief for now..... and my oil seperator seems still be doing its job so im alright (for now)
    Actually, I went to insert the tensioner tool and the plastic guide broke. This 540i has been overheated without proper care to maintain anything The plastic on mine may be much more brittle than yours (taking a stab in the dark) but I wouldn't hesitate on pulling your covers to inspect.

Thanks again for the reminder... I don't know what I would have done if I thought about that AFTER everything was back together. Here are some randoms from tonight:

If any one's timing guides look like those pictured above, it means prepare to replace them ASAP. Since it was raining today I toyed around with the thought of polishing my timing covers... what do you guys think?

Working out some pitting...

I'll be removing the Jesus bolt tomorrow

Last edited by Concrete Donkey; 04-26-2012 at 09:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1967 Chevelle Malibu
    Looking good man Cant wait till the 540s done!

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    i wouldnt bother polishing the cover unless you plan to make your 5er into a show car. you'll need to maintain it, which will be tough to keep shiny even if you dont have mechnical fan. maybe i'd get it powdercoated black.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Nice work so far. Those tensioners are not as big of a deal as people make them out to be - the spring does not apply the tension, oil pressure does. It might cause a rattle on startup in which case it should be replaced, but otherwise it's not hurting anything. I believe BMW also changed the design so old tensioners do not have the same spring as the new ones.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    whats interesting is mine rattles at startup (only when engine's been off for a week) but the chain tensioner is only 1k miles old. then again it could be vanos related.

My Cars
    540i/6
    i wouldnt bother polishing the cover unless you plan to make your 5er into a show car. you'll need to maintain it, which will be tough to keep shiny even if you dont have mechnical fan. maybe i'd get it powdercoated black.
    I planned on using a high temp clear coat which should hold the shine. At this point I don't have the funds for powder coating and looking to get it back together using the resources available.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyrix2k View Post
    Nice work so far. Those tensioners are not as big of a deal as people make them out to be - the spring does not apply the tension, oil pressure does. It might cause a rattle on startup in which case it should be replaced, but otherwise it's not hurting anything. I believe BMW also changed the design so old tensioners do not have the same spring as the new ones.
    Which tensioner are you referring to?

whats interesting is mine rattles at startup (only when engine's been off for a week) but the chain tensioner is only 1k miles old. then again it could be vanos related.
    Possibly a broken timing chain guide? The chain can hold the broken guides in place in some instances.
    Last edited by Concrete Donkey; 04-26-2012 at 10:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1967 Chevelle Malibu
    Herculiner that shit

My Cars
    2001 540i 6speed
    Quote Originally Posted by Concrete Donkey View Post
    Possibly a broken timing chain guide? The chain can hold the broken guides in place in some instances.
    possible but it wouldnt explain if i drive it often, startup is quiet and smooth.

My Cars
    540i/6
    Quote Originally Posted by NJpit1996 View Post
    Herculiner that shit
    Imagine? Don't tempt me

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast