Thread: Is there a better brand or HD version of all 4 exhaust hangers?

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan

Is there a better brand or HD version of all 4 exhaust hangers?

My wife's '98 E36 M3/4/5 has a Supersprint cat back exhaust. I replaced all 4 hangers about 4-5 years ago (maybe 25K miles) with ones that I got from rmeuropean.com back then. I have no idea what brand rmeuropean sold back then, but they went on fine, didn't seem crummy, and I got the correct offset looking M3 pieces. I noticed the exhaust shakes the other day, so I inspected and discovered the front mounts look pretty stretched out and the rears, while not broken are showing a lot of cracking and checking. Is there a better brand, or preferably a HD version of these mounts I can get. I feel 4 years is far to frequent to have to swap these things out. Also, a good source to get them from would be appreciated. TIA

My Cars
    98/M3/4, 05 M3 Vert
    Hmm, good question. I noticed mine also are a little "stretched". I also have a aftermarket exhaust(RE DMS) on a 98 m3/4 also.

My Cars
    1989 Tornado Red GTI16v
    Some sort of universal polyurethane hanger could serve well for the front hangers, like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12...613103&vxp=mtr

Though, I bet it would be pretty hard to get those to stretch so you can get the midsection back up. Plus, NVH.

Another trick to consider is taking the four stock hangers, building a mould around them, and filling the empty spaces with windowweld or other polyurethane adhesive -- like the JDM guys do with their motor mounts. Again, I would be careful to not go overboard with this due to NVH concerns.

My Cars
    '98 M3 Sedan
    Has anybody actually successfully used those ebay poly front hangers that you linked to? Also, I considered windowwelding the rears, but I wonder how well that stuff would hold up to muffler heat. I suppose the good news is that the Supersprint exhaust is significantly lighter than stock. Why the hangers are overwhelmed is kind of a head scratcher.

My Cars
    are slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by SmokedBMW23 View Post
    Hmm, good question. I noticed mine also are a little "stretched". I also have a aftermarket exhaust(RE DMS) on a 98 m3/4 also.
    Did you also change them when you swapped in the new exhaust? Your hangers are probably over 10 years old at this point... It's just rubber, they fail with time.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrrrrrrr View Post
    Some sort of universal polyurethane hanger could serve well for the front hangers, like these:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Universal-12...613103&vxp=mtr

Though, I bet it would be pretty hard to get those to stretch so you can get the midsection back up. Plus, NVH.
    No. Poly will fail in this location.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrrrrrrr View Post
    Another trick to consider is taking the four stock hangers, building a mould around them, and filling the empty spaces with windowweld or other polyurethane adhesive -- like the JDM guys do with their motor mounts. Again, I would be careful to not go overboard with this due to NVH concerns.

This could work.

Quote Originally Posted by STS42 View Post
    Has anybody actually successfully used those ebay poly front hangers that you linked to? Also, I considered windowwelding the rears, but I wonder how well that stuff would hold up to muffler heat. I suppose the good news is that the Supersprint exhaust is significantly lighter than stock. Why the hangers are overwhelmed is kind of a head scratcher.

Buy new OE ones.

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe..._FCBE59E4.aspx

http://www.rmeuropean.com/Part-Numbe...P_E861074.aspx

Then try. Understand that these will fail every 5-10 years. That is to be expected.
    "Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind."
    -Dr. Seuss
    DIY BMW Tools. Charlie For President

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    +1 i gotta replace mine every few years they suck

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    '95 Cosmos E36 M3
    see thread here, more specifically post #19.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1508962

also, here is a link to those hangers, as the ebay link i provided in the original post no longer works.

http://www.performanceproducts4benz....er-hanger.html

fwiw, i'm still using those same hangers will no side effects. they are holding up perfectly. marvelous!!!

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    i bought one hanger from the dealer and one from pelican parts. the dealer part has a metal sleeve around the bolt hold and is much better constructed, the one from pelican larts is the same shape but no metal sleeve and noticeable lesser quality. +it looks painted black for some reason.

edit: rear hangers, i had oem middle hangers
    Last edited by scoobiedoo2029; 04-25-2012 at 04:20 PM.

My Cars
    Dicktone Limo