Thread: Stolen 2003 BMW 745.. Is there satelite tracking?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 745

Stolen 2003 BMW 745.. Is there satelite tracking?

Hello my 2003 BMW 745 was recently stolen and there was no Lojack in it so we cant track it that way. The car was taken because someone who was using it left it running when they went into pepboys auto for about 2 minutes. What we want to know is if there is some way we can track the car with gps technology.The car had a gps navigation system. Please help asap to anyone who knows about these things...good or bad news is ok!!

Thanks

My Cars
    2008 BMW 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by Rocko33 View Post
    The car had a gps navigation system.
    GPS navigation is NOT the same as GPS tracking.

A tracker (used by skiers, boats and ambulances) has the ability to SEND and receive coordinates to and from a server (the tracking company in this case).

NO CAR comes with a tracker from the factory, unless you buy it as an optional, like On Star or Lo-Jack.

It amazes me that people think a regular GPS can send tracking signals...

My Cars
    1987 BMW 735i
    That's correct, a GPS receiver (satnav) doesn't usually have any sort of transmitter able to send coordinates unless as stated above the car is equiped with a transmitter such as onstar or lojack which is a seperate system from the satnav receiver.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwgalore View Post
    NO CAR comes with a tracker from the factory, unless you buy it as an optional, like On Star or Lo-Jack.

You might waht to reconsider your comment. Mercedes Benz comes with this and has since 2010 ish. this is part of the telephone system. It is factory installed.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2008 BMW 750Li
    Quote Originally Posted by 02325

You might waht to reconsider your comment. Mercedes Benz comes with this and has since 2010 ish. this is part of the telephone system. It is factory installed.
    As you said it yourself: It's part of the telephone system. It's not a gps tracker sending signals.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    it is part of the telephone system that you can use to track your car is it is stolen. I am not sure of the designation of it, but its pretty cool on how it works. we tracked an instructor car while i was in training last month.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2008 750Li
    You can have it tracked if (A) your car came with BMW Assist fromthe factory and (B) your subscription is current. I don't know if that was offered in 2003 or if it came online later. It utilizes both the cell service and the GPS positioning.

My Cars
    2004 745 Li
    The car could probably be tracked but only if there was a legal issue or a warrant issued. This is what I have heard but do not know how true this is. My Verizon cell phone can be tracked from assurion if the phone is on. Chances are the authorities can track it, but I doubt they will. What did the insurance company do or say? Will they cover this? Car was left running and that could cause a problem.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    By now that car is either overseas or has been destroyed.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2007 BMW 750Li
    Bummer! Hopefully your insurance will cover it.

My Cars
    01 740il, 01 740i
    if u dont have lo jack or a gps tracker installed i think bmw can only track it if the car has been involved in a felony ie hit and run with death,i remember someone had a w220 and it was involved in a hit and run and the guy killed a pedestrian and the cops told mercedes to track it, but your best bet is to check craigslist everyday for your parts
    Last edited by bimmerfreak187; 04-25-2012 at 12:08 AM.

My Cars
    08 B7, MB SLK,Marai
    My Prius can be tracked without the use of a cell phone. I was told my BMW (08 B7) has the same ability, but I've never tested it.

My Cars
    BMW X5 2003

Bmw x5 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Rocko33 View Post
    Hello my 2003 BMW 745 was recently stolen and there was no Lojack in it so we cant track it that way. The car was taken because someone who was using it left it running when they went into pepboys auto for about 2 minutes. What we want to know is if there is some way we can track the car with gps technology.The car had a gps navigation system. Please help asap to anyone who knows about these things...good or bad news is ok!!

Thanks
    My BMW X5 2003 has a tracking device, it's fitted by BMW but not sure if it was a standard item or an optional
    extra for previous owner. it's located on the right hand side of car in the boot above rear wheel arch. you'll have to unscrew the fuse box behind the wheel arch to find it. pretty well hidden. not sure why anyone would want to steal one anyway, had nothing but trouble with mine.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    yours would be aftermarket I would guess.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    2007 BMW 760Li
    If it has the BMW Assist option, it can be tracked if you're paying for the service. I think the police can issue a subpoena to track the car if you aren't paying for the service.

My Cars
    Bmw
    Hey are you still in here? I have a 2003 x5 that was just stolen and the police don’t seem to be doing much, I have already contacted bmw assist and they said my car is to old to track . Help how do I track it I just bought it so I haven’t set much up yet