Thread: e30 alignment help

My Cars
    84 318i

e30 alignment help

my car feels like shit i think i just need a good alignment, what are some specs other e30 drift guys are running? i have a friend who will the alignment for me, but he only knows ae86s, so we need some specs. i had the car done at sears the last time, here is where the car is right now

front left
    camber -2.8
    caster 9.4
    tow .13

front right
    camber -2.3 (this plate is fully maxed out)
    caster 9.5
    toe .15 (this tie rod is slightly tweeked)

right now i dont have the adjustable plates in the rear, the so rear isnt adjustable, im going to put together a new rear subframe with all the urethane bushings and the plates, but it gonna take a little bit for me to finish that up, so for now i want to at least get the front in some what order. so far i only have donminc49's setup, help me out guys
    84 318i drift car
    04 mk4 gti 1.8t
    96 e320
    63 plymouth valiant

My Cars
    87 325is
    Only able to get 2.3deg camber on the right front says something is bent. If you are lucky it will be a control arm or strut housing (those can be replaced). If not the car will have to go on a frame machine. With stock sized springs you may not be able to get more than 3deg camber, but you want all the can be had and both sides should be equal with the driver in the car. Front toe should be set to zero or 1/6" total toe out.

That said, the front alignment doesn't look all that bad. I'll bet on the rear alignment being way off from wear in the bushings and/or bent trailing arms. Rebuilding the rear suspension including amber/toe adjustments should be a priority and done before re-aligning.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    84 318i
    i think its the right tie rod, i replaced all the the arms and tierods up and had the car aligned, before a track event, at that event i went off the track pretty hard and bent some thing, i took the car back to the alignment shop and these were the specs before adjusting anything

front left
    camber -4.1 (fully maxed out)
    caster 9.4
    toe .06

front right
    camber -2.2 (fully maxed out)
    caster 9.5
    toe -1.59 ( this was leading me to believe the tierod was bent slighty)

as for the rear, i want to put it together corectly with all the quality performance parts, but i cant do it all at once, that why im building it off to the side little by little, but i still track my car weekly, so i figure if i get the front setup now, atleast the car will feel somewhat better
    84 318i drift car
    04 mk4 gti 1.8t
    96 e320
    63 plymouth valiant

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    I usually set camber to max neg, can't do much about caster, set toe to 0 or slight out. Rear is... whatever you can get lol.

the key is even. The numbers need to be as close to even as you can get them. (IE same number left to right).

I say go -2.2 camber front, and 0.13 toe both sides.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    84 318i
    What if i do 2.2 camber and 0 toe?

What if i do 2.2 camber and 0 toe? Or i think if i get a new tie rod i could do 4.0 camber
    Last edited by dub 6er; 04-22-2012 at 01:12 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    84 318i drift car
    04 mk4 gti 1.8t
    96 e320
    63 plymouth valiant

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    4 is excessive. 2.2 is fine. 0 toe sounds fine too. Just get something even to start out with.

Status: Someone put glitter in my oil. Wait. Why's all my oil outside the engine? What's that knocking?

My Cars
    84 318i
    Ill try that and adjust from there then

How come some dudes run like a ton of negative camber then? i dont much about alignment setups
    Last edited by dub 6er; 04-22-2012 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    84 318i drift car
    04 mk4 gti 1.8t
    96 e320
    63 plymouth valiant

My Cars
    E30 V8 M60B40
    Does anyone knows best spec for rear alignment for E30?
    Tnx..

My Cars
    2 E30s and a maxima
    Raise the subframe as far as it'll go, adjust camber as close to 0 as you can get... toe as close to 0 as you can get... go play?