My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il

Talking How to convert 1997 CD changer to 6pin 3pin I-bus changer

Hi i want to convert my 1998 with DSP old plug some how from that:

to the i-bus 6pin 3pin plugs:

Thanks All

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    I think racer2086 is the man you want to talk to.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I will ask him
    If any one have any diagrams that will help me
    Thanks

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    I did it, however, I did it with a complete navigation retrofit. If there is an easier way to convert it is unknown to me. Why are you looking to change?

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I want to install nav but I don't want to pay 2000$ now to do it
    Anyhow I can use the dice to make the 6pin plug because I have DSP
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/DICE-BMW-DSP...-/140737482605
    But I need to know what is in the 3pin plug ?

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    I did my retrofit for far less then $2000. Mine was probably in the $500 range, there are several write ups detailing all that is needed and how to do it yourself.

MODS:18' Chrome M-Pars, 6000k Xenon Lowbeams and Chromelined Headlights, 01 Tails, Clear Corners and Side Markers, Boston G2 Sub and Gt22 Amp, Dinan CAI, 20% Tint, Hardwired Passport 8500i X50 Radar, Predator Chromium DDE Angel Eyes, Tri Stitched M5 Sport Steering Wheel, MKII Navigation Retrofit, Einbach Prokit Springs, Quad Brake Light Mod, Dice MB 1500, Powder Coated Valve Covers

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriabmw27 View Post
    I did my retrofit for far less then $2000. Mine was probably in the $500 range, there are several write ups detailing all that is needed and how to do it yourself.

How!!!!!!
    please tell me

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by zaherr

How!!!!!!
    please tell me
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/479497

I used this write up.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Thanks i will do it if i fail to do this

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    So
    I can make the 6pin plug using the dice in the link:http://www.ebay.com/itm/DICE-BMW-DSP...5#ht_708wt_952

The 3pin plug have the i-bus and power :

and here is my plug diagram in the link :
    http://www.bavtech.com/e34-guides/19...o-adapters.php

I have the Round 14 Pin Female DIN Connector
    What i need to know is what is the "Data (BDATA)" what is it for? can i use it as i-bus or the i bus is Different thing ?

Is there any one knows what is the BData and what is it for, is it the same as the i-bus ?

Last edited by zaherr; 04-20-2012 at 05:28 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Hopefully I can answer your questions...

EDIT: I forgot the most important thing...my car is a NON-DSP car. So that changes things a little if you are planning on keeping the CD changer. It doesn't sound like you are, so not gonna worry about that.

First, I did my conversion from the old style changer to the i-bus changer because I retrofitted nav to the car. I spent about $1100-1200 to do this because I put in an MKIV computer, a BM53 radio, a TV module, and some other goodies that brought the price up. If you want details on that, I can supply them (in fact, in about 11 days when I have some free time after exams, I can work on the write up that I have been meaning to do...)

Ok anyway on to your question. Like you said, the 3 pin connector is I-bus, power, and ground. You can use any ground. I used a switched power source. And I pulled I-bus from the navigation retrofit harness that I used to install the nav in my car. If you don't end up doing that retrofit, you can find an I-bus wire in the 12 pin clear plug mounted to the back of the driver's side tail light. One of the wires in that connector should be a white wire with gray strip running the length with yellow dashes along the wire. That color combination is the "universal" wire color for i-bus in our E38s. If you tap that wire and run a lead to your 3 pin connector, that will give you the I-bus you need. Then just run the power and ground to the connector and you're done.

The old female CD changer connector is worthless to you at this point. It's a proprietary set up that was only used for that generation Pioneer CD changer. You shouldn't need to tap anything from that.

Did you figure out what to do with the 6 pin plug? Where is that running to? Reason why I ask is that plug was used to hook up to my new style BM53 radio. I'm not sure where it would plug on the old radio. I thought the pins were different...

Lastly, just want to throw in my own $.02 about retrofits, DICE, and i-pod integration...

IF you're actually contemplating a nav retrofit, you may want to consider a different route than the DICE...

I've heard mixed things about the DICE. Like it works, but there is a bit of a learning curve, and it can be a little slow navigating through the iPod. You also lose your CD changer (which for some people doesn't matter).

That being said, I decided to do something different. The newer BM53 radios that came in '03+ cars run on I-bus (so they are compatible with our cars) and have the ability to support an AUX input, satellite radio, and (some of the newest units) support MP3 CDs and will display track titles on your screen. Right there, the newer radio gives you an AUX input for anything with a headphone jack that is factory integrated with the electronics. I mainly use my Android phone for everything now, so I'm glad I don't have a DICE. People get in my car and plug in their phones/iPods with the headphone jack.

Also, the BM53 radio sound quality is above and beyond the stock headunit that was in the car before. The radio sounded like utter garbage GARBAGE, but with this unit, treble is much better along with bass. The AUX input is crisp and as clear as the CD changer (which both sound way better than the much improved radio). Also, it has RDS, so I get the song names and stuff from radio stations.

The only hitch with this newer radio is that it has different plugs on it. That's not a problem, though. If you are doing a nav retrofit and buy a retrofit harness, it has the newer plug on it. If you don't do that or use a harness out of a scrap car, you can buy an adapter cable from BMW to hook up the newer radio.

This brings me to the actual nav retrofit. Sadly, like most of the work done on these cars, it's easier to do all of this stuff at once. What I did was take my time and do a whole ton of research on what parts to get and which are compatible. Then I took my time locating them to score the best price possible (for example, I scored my MKIV nav for $350, instead of the going rate of $450-$500).

Once you have all the parts, you need to make sure you have all the wires for everything. I decided to bite the bullet and buy the nav retrofit harness from bimmernav. It really saves a lot of headaches and time, plus it's plug and play. I swear the cable is probably able to be purchased from BMW like every other harness (for likely less than the pretty expensive bimmernav price), but I couldn't find a part number for the life of me. FWIW, BMW used to sell a navigation retrofit kit, which included that harness in the group of parts. But again, I couldn't dig up a part number.

The hardest part of the whole job is running that cable up to the front of the car. It requires quite a bit of interior disassembly and the removal of the driver's seat and console electronics. It can be done, though

Alright, me thinks this is dragging on. If you have any other specific questions, post them up, and I'll do my best to answer them.
    Last edited by racer2086; 04-20-2012 at 10:05 PM.
    '98 740il | 9/97 build | schwarz 2 | sandbeige | 5AT | 270k
    '04 330i ZHP sedan | Mystic blue | Alcantara | 6MT | 120k
    '00 540i sport | Titanium silver | Black | 5AT | 152k
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

mods: m-pars | Bilsteins & B&G springs | ValentineOne | StealthOne
    retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Wow that is so good
    Thanks a lot
    I will keep you up to date

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Lol. Glad I could be some of this otherwise useless knowledge to work.
    '85 Mustang GT convertible | Medium charcoal metallic | Gray | 5MT | 216k | one owner, all original

retrofits: full nav | MKIV | bluetooth TCU | BM53 w/ AUX input | video module w/ AV input & backup cam | oem sirius xm | xenon | shades | PDC | rain sensor | BMW DWS TPMS | lighted door handles | front seat heaters | heated steering wheel | euro rear fog lights | ski pass | folding mirrors

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Actually I'd like to ask you what is the I-Bus for ?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    The i-bus is the communication line for most of the electronics in the car. It is one wire that connects to all electronics through which messages can be sent. The messages are coded in hexadecimal format in a standardized form that directs the message to a particular device, tells it where it came from, and contains the data for the message sent. This way the radio, for example, can talk to the nav computer, board monitor, and CD changer using only ONE wire, rather than having to connect it directly with wires to each module. It's the same idea with the bus systems in computers.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    I have never imagined that they will put some thing like that in the car

that's what I like with bmw because they think about everything

Thanks a lot for the information
    that was so useful

My Cars
    2x01 750, 01 740
    Quote Originally Posted by zaherr View Post
    I have never imagined that they will put some thing like that in the car

that's what I like with bmw because they think about everything

Thanks a lot for the information
    that was so useful
    There were literally miles of wiring in the E32, BMW learned from that lesson

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Any one knows where to buy a 3pin plug so I can make one?

My Cars
    98 740il, 00 540i,04 ZHP
    Go to a junkyard and find a late 90's BMW. You can cut all the connectors you want out of it, including a bunch of wiring. It's an easy way to get connectors, pins, wiring, anything. Then you just have to solder wire together to keep the pins and connector intact.

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    Thanks I will look for a junk yard close to me
    Thanks a lot

My Cars
    1996 740iL
    There is a yahoo group just for the IBus.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/...&sec=dir&slk=2

My Cars
    145 cylinders of power
    Quote Originally Posted by victoriabmw27 View Post
    http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/479497

I used this write up.

The dude who wrote that write up is a total badass!!!
    Random Sig below (refresh to see new image)

My Cars
    97 E38, 00 E39 M, 15 F25
    Quote Originally Posted by 04SSHD

The dude who wrote that write up is a total badass!!!
    I wouldn't get carried away, he isn't anything too special!! Haha

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    My Dice mediabridge is coming soon xD

Should I get this with the dice or it's going to work with the current one

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-BUSINESS...-/280789266416
    Last edited by zaherr; 04-22-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 bmw 740il
    it works thanks to racer and all of you guys and the dsp is still working