Bavarian Soundwerks

Thread: e30 + stereo upgrade + speakers + antenna

My Cars
    1984 318i E30, '07 Jetta

e30 + stereo upgrade + speakers + antenna

I have a 84 318i (see sig). It has the power antenna, and the 2 of the 4 speakers (that I've found) are dead. The power antenna itself is dead (broke off).

What I'm thinking is I want to replace the radio with a good quality radio with mp3 plug-in, and upgrade the speakers. I'd rather not get a size of speakers that make me have to do (barely) any cutting, I just want quality is what I'm looking for.

This brings me to 2 questions.

1. Should I ditch the Power Antenna? If I should, should I replace it with one that doesn't roll up or down? If I shouldn't, can I get a sock replacement or get something that is better suited for the new radio? And if I keep the Power Antenna, this means I will need to purchase a radio that supports the power antenna (I think most do), of course.

2. My budget is $2-350 for the radio, and probably $200 for the speakers. I don't want a amp, a sub. Advice on what you'd use? I've had Pioneer speakers and Pioneer headunits, and I've also had Alpine speaker and headunits.

I liked Pioneer better, but I haven't bought anything for a car in probably 4 years so I'd love to know any thoughts or advice on what to look at.

1984 E30 318i, 5 Speed, Coupe

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    Every aftermarket radio I've ever seen supports the power antenna. You will find a small wire, typically blue, labeled "remote" that can be used for that purpose but is more often to turn on an external amp. I like Alpine headunits, but the Pioneer I had was actually great. Find something that offers the features you want and is layed out to your liking and buy it. I would suggest finding a headunit with bullet proof contacts behind the screen as they are frequently a pain as the unit ages. As for speakers, audition some in person. I actually like Pioneers sold at walmart a lot!
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys