Thread: Retrofitting Steptronic in 2002 BMW 745i

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745i

Retrofitting Steptronic in 2002 BMW 745i

I have a 2002 E65 that I put in a new steering wheel with wheel heating and steptronic buttons. I only have the L mode and I am trying to get SDM working. I successfully coded the heating and now I am having trouble coding the Steptronic buttons to work. I already used NCS Expert to edit my VO/FA to add $202 to the string and coded CAS, LMA, SZL, EGS modules. The only information BMW has on this process involves using Progman which is SO SLOW and always gives me errors telling me to replace or reprogram modules because some modules I think have too new of a software. If all else fails, I guess I may have to take it to the dealer and pay them to use ISTA/P to do it.

My Cars
    BMW E46 CIC.E53 X5.
    Hi the correct fa for the heated steering wheel is
    W 248 LENKRADHEIZUNG //Lenkradheizung
    maybe you could add this to your VO [both modules] and then recode at least the szl & egs & lma modules to the new VO.
    I found more info that indicates you might need to recode the ZGM also

• SZL (Steering Column Switch Center): the steering column switch center processes all the data of the multifunction steering wheel. The SZL transmits the data across the BYTEFLIGHT bus to the ZGM.
    • ZGM (Central Gateway Module): The central gateway module provides the link to the bus systems. The ZGM sends the data to each receiver control module: wiper module, rain/driving light sensor, EGS, DME, KOMBI, LM

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745i
    Yes, I have steering wheel heating working with the $248 code. Now I am trying to code the steptronic buttons to work which I know from BMW literature is code $202. I just tried looking in my NCS Expert for the ZGM module but it is not in the list of modules? I also tried recoding the KOMBI (instrument cluster) and EMF (parking brake module) which did not help.

My Cars
    2002 BMW 745i
    Bump

My Cars
    2001 BMW 525iT
    Hi Jimmy, I know this is an old post but have you figured this out? I'm in the process of doing this to my e65 as well. Anything can help thank you.