Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: E39 6cyl oil pan gasket replacement illustrated

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by perelet View Post
    One thing that's worth mentioning that will cut down some of time/pain:

1st drop suspension and then unbolt 10mm pan bolts.

Originally I did it reverse and spend lots of time with reaching some of the bolts while suspension was still in place. I guess I was too intimidated dropping suspension and holding engine by the bar, so I left it for last. Be confident and drop it 1st

Oleg.
    I agree with you. Drop the subframe and/or suspension components as it will much easier to reach to the pan bolts especially on the driver's side.

Quote Originally Posted by Aussie528iT View Post
    I'm about to do this job on an M52TU 528 and have a couple of questions.
    1/. How far do you need to lower the subframe to provide enough clearance to remove the oil pan as it has to clear the pump and pickup etc?
    2/. It doesn't appear that it is necessary to disconnect the steering rack from the steering column even though the TIS says to do this.
    Perelet warns about not allowing the sliding part of the column to disconnect. So how much movement of the column sliding joint can take place before it separates?
    I will have the car on a hoist so access underneath is not a problem as I'm past crawling under and lying on my back with oil and dirt falling on my face etc. Any other advice appreciated.

Regards
    RonR
    Melbourne
    Australia
    1.) If I remember correctly that Alldata said a good 6 inches, however, I found that to be still short. I dropped it further enough to drop it and then be able to slide it out towards the transmission. As long as it can be out of the oil pump housing way, you are good to go.
    2.) There will be tremendous amount of weight/tension being hung on that column if you do not separate them. That I do not think is a good idea. Plus, how will you drop the subframe with the rack being fastened to it?
    Last edited by auaq; 05-15-2012 at 07:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Wish this thread existed a month ago...

I dropped my subframe as low as possible without removing any suspension components...

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by LuisGT View Post
    Wish this thread existed a month ago...

I dropped my subframe as low as possible without removing any suspension components...

Nice

The picture may delude me; however, it seems like you actually lifted the engine as high as possible, right? You have also separated the compressor from the block and the steering pump as well. Makes me wonder about your transmission mounts being under stress!
    Last edited by auaq; 05-15-2012 at 08:22 PM.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by auaq View Post
    Nice

The picture may delude me; however, it seems like you actually lifted the engine as high as possible, right? You have also separated the compressor from the block and the steering pump as well. Makes me wonder about your transmission mounts being under stress!
    Yep... I raised the engine... I also loosened the transmission mounts and removed the exhaust in order to avoid any binding... Sounded like a v-twin without the exhaust pipe... lol

http://s16.photobucket.com/albums/b2...t=9968adf9.mp4
    Last edited by LuisGT; 05-15-2012 at 08:30 PM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Yep... I raised the engine... I also loosened the transmission mounts and removed the exhaust in order to avoid any binding... Sounded like a v-twin without the exhaust pipe... lol

Very good sire!

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR

What did you use to raise the engine?

Looking for an E39 belly pan , passenger front inner fender liner …

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    What did you use to raise the engine?

An Engine hoist...

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    I found this pretty helpful post:
    Thread:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114577

Quote Originally Posted by jeremy339 View Post
    I have a 01 530i. I noticed a lot of oil on the driver side wall of the engine and for months I could not figure out where it was comming from. I changed every hose that was wet or locked wet. I finally traced the problem to the oil filter housing. I replaced the $12.00 oil filter housing gasket and problem solved.

I recently changed the oil pan gasket because of leaks.

1. Raise the car and place on stands. REMEMBER SAFETY FIRST!
    2. You would need a floor jack so, stop being cheap and buy a good one. I paid $90.00 for mine.
    3. Remove the engine mount nuts.
    4. unlatch the fan shroud from top and bottom. No need to remove it. It has to move up when you raise the engine.
    5. Drain oil.
    6. Be very careful and place a piece of wood on top of the jack and place top of jack right where the tranny meets the engine ON THE TRANNY. You will have to remove the exhaust bracket attached to the tranny.
    7. Gently raise the jack to raise the engine and watch the engine to make sure nothing is being stretch ( hoses or wires).
    8. Raise the engine as high as possible. Don't worry if it slips off the engine mounts, it will slide back when you lower the jack or you can easily guide it back in. Do not use fingers.
    9. After you raise the engine. start to remove all the nuts holding the oil pan to the engine. There are also two bolts on the transmission you'll have to remove. Towards the rear of the pan you will have different size bolts (note where you remove them from).
    10. The transmission require special hex socket. PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU USE THE RIGHT TOOLS. WRONG TOOLS CAN CAUSE A BOLT TO STRIP OR A DAMAGED HEAD AND THEN YOU WILL INCREASE YOUR PROBLEMS.
    11. After you remove all nuts, gently pry the oil pan from the engine. Don't force it, if it seems stuck, check to make sure you have removed ALL nuts.
    12. Lower the pan as far as it will go. You will not be able to completey remove it.
    13. Remove the old gasket by either cutting it or sliding it under the suction pipe leading into the pan.
    14. Clean all areas where the gasket will seat with a rag or scraper if needed. Avoid pieces from entering the pan.
    15. Now for the delicate part. YOU WILL HAVE TO BE VERY CAREFUL AND SLIDE THE NEW GASKET UNDER THE SUCTION PIPE LEADING INTO THE PAN. I DID THIS FROM THE PASSENGER SIDE OF THE ENGINE. THIS IS THE ONLY WAY TO REPLACE THE GASKET WITHOUT REMOVING THE FRAME UNDER THE PAN OR PAYING TUFFY $500.00 OR THE STEALER $900.00 TO DO IT.
    16. SO THE MAIN THING TO DO IS SLIDING THE NEW GASKET UNDER THE SUCTION PIPE (NOT REAL NAME) IN THE OIL PAN WITHOUT BREAKING OR DAMAGING IT.

17. Replace nuts and torgue. Leave engine gravel cover for one week while you cheCk for daily leaks

18. DON'T FORGET TO ADD NEW OIL.

PRETEND YOU PLACE ONE OF YOUR FEET INTO A BUCKET AND YOU HAVE TO PLACE THE COVER ON THE BUCKET BY SLIDING THE COVER (GASKET)OVER UNDER YOUR FOOT (SUCTION PIPE LEADING INTO THE OIL PAN) IN ORDER TO PLACE IT ON THE BUCKET (OIL PAN) BUT YOU CANNOT TAKE YOUR FEET OUT OF THE BUCKET.

IT TOOK ME ABOUT 3 HOURS TO DO THIS JOB.

ALWAYS FOLLOW SAFETY.
    USE THE RIGHT TOOLS AND WORK CLEAN AND ORGANIZE.

Hope this helps
    It looks like he did the job without using any hoist, or engine support.
    He just jacked up the engine near the transmission...
    Last edited by Jason5driver; 05-16-2012 at 12:03 AM.

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    An Engine hoist...

Hmmm .... so your bike has got an M50 engine, eh?

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Hey... once you go BMW... you can't go back!

Quote Originally Posted by Jason5driver View Post
    I found this pretty helpful post:
    Thread:
    http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=114577

It looks like he did the job without using any hoist, or engine support.
    He just jacked up the engine near the transmission...
    I don't know how he did it... but even with the engine lifted as high as possible... almost hitting the firewall... I had to lower the subframe in order to clear the oil pump intake...
    Last edited by LuisGT; 05-16-2012 at 02:42 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 99 528iT

auaq,
    Thanks for that info.
    How far the subframe needs to be lowered determines how far to raise the car on the jack stands even though its on a hoist. (4 post ramp type) I will raise the car to give a good 8-9 inches drop for the subframe.
    I thought it might be easier to not disconnect the steering column and use the sliding column part to avoid doing this. I didn't think it was a good idea but worth considering but for now the TIS rules.
    I've also never considered going down the "cut the gasket" approach as it isn't necessary when you can raise the car high enough. Its really a last resort approach when all else fails.

Thanks
    RonR

My Cars
    SR-71 Blackbird
    Quote Originally Posted by Aussie528iT View Post

auaq,
    Thanks for that info.
    How far the subframe needs to be lowered determines how far to raise the car on the jack stands even though its on a hoist. (4 post ramp type) I will raise the car to give a good 8-9 inches drop for the subframe.
    I thought it might be easier to not disconnect the steering column and use the sliding column part to avoid doing this. I didn't think it was a good idea but worth considering but for now the TIS rules.
    I've also never considered going down the "cut the gasket" approach as it isn't necessary when you can raise the car high enough. Its really a last resort approach when all else fails.

Thanks
    RonR
    Thanks mate!

My Cars
    e39's, e30's, e46's, e53
    That oil pickup tube is a real bitch.

Other cars that don't matter, and then..
    '01 530i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather(My 1st love)
    '02 540i Sport/Premium/Cold Weather (German bitch)
    '06 330i Sport/Comfort (Sweetness!)
    '08 535i/6 Sport/Premium/Comfort/Nav ()
    '99 528i Sport Touring (Repaired the Previous owners garbage and let her go)
    '02 525iT Premium/Nav/Cold Weather/Alpine/Supercherry
    '90 325i e30 sedan schwarz (1st e30 project!)
    '90 325is e30
    '06 X5 4.4
    '04 325i Sport
    '04 330ci
    '89 325IX 31k Original Miles!
    '04 330i e46 coupe
    '08 550i Sport
    '13 535i Sport
    '13 328i Luxury
    '88 e30 Stroker

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post
    That oil pickup tube is a real bitch.
    Ok.....
    Care to explain...?
    Any pictures....?

Thanks!
    Jason

My Cars
    3 540i / 1 528i
    Quote Originally Posted by cnn

Oleg,

The idea of cutting gasket + add RTV sealant came from my 1998 Volvo S/V70 oil pan. Volvo does not use the rubber gasket as BMW does.
    In the 850, S/V70 series, Volvo used "liquid gasket" for the oil pan.
    Yes, Volvo uses the "liquid gasket" for the entire oil pan edge!
    The Volvo "liquid gasket" is basically similar to RTV.

Remember that for BMW E39 "gasket-cutting" trick, the RTV is used ONLY where the cuts are made, so the RTV patch covers only a small area such as 1/2" or less. Search bimmerfest forum for "mudbone" etc. Many have done it this way and have had no leak for 2-3 years.

I am not arguing with you, of course your way (dropping subframe) is the kosher (the correct) way, but it requires not only time (some 9-10h) but also:
    - special tool (engine hoist or engine support as you used)
    - alignment
    etc.

The "gasket-cutting" technique is basically an improvised method that allows one to perform this job in 1-2h.

Life is choices, if one does like Option A then select Option B.

---------
    FYI, below is the gasket-cutting thread, many have done it successfully.
    Again, it is a matter of choice. Option A (the BMW way) does not mean it is better than Option B (cutting gasket).
    Once you guys fix different car makes (such as BMW, Volvo, Honda, Toyota etc.) and learn how different mfg's design/fix their cars, then your view will change.
    There is more than one way to do things.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=532166

Well,

You may as well go and ask the people who have done it this way, nobody has had a leak that I know of.
    (I sent these people PMs and all of them are happy with this trick).
    +1
    there is nothing wrong with taking short cuts when done right, and if you can find a way to cut hours off a DIY job, and still have the same outcome then by all means do it. Of course short cuts dont apply to everything, theres plenty of ways to get a job done easier and quicker. But if it's a dealer or Indy doing repairs the right ways is expected.

My Cars
    e39 540i/6, e36 318i
    A few things:

1) I wouldn't shortcut this job the way CNN does it. To be sure the new gasket doesn't leak, you should completely remove the pan & use a razer blade to clean the gasket interface on both the engine & pan. With the pan close to the engine, you will wind up with debris in the pan at best.
    2) Fully dropping the pan allows for a thorough cleaning & inspection of the pan & engine. While the pan is down, I check each rod bearing for play although you'd probably hear it...
    3) Doing this in the car is probably a nightmare. Some of those 10mm bolts have tight access and it's also a pain lining the gasket up so the bolts thread in. I'd allow a good chunk of time just to get the pan back on. It probably takes a half our OUTSIDE the car.
    4) I use a victor reinz gasket which seems fine to me.
    1985 325 - 5 speed - LSD - M50NV - MS2/extra - AEM UEGO - TiAL MV-R - 750cc injectors - HX35 - Blunttech Manifold - 3" exhaust
    1991 318i - 5 speed - M50NV - e36 rack - Smileys

My Cars
    1997 BMW 528i
    Great thread for those of us with e39's old enough to have this problem. At recent oil change, I got called into the shop to witness oil beginning to seep around the oil pan gasket. Was told the shop will monitor this for dripping at next oil change, and that if I hold onto car for any length of time this is likely to have to be replaced. it's currently at 176,000 miles.

My question is: while having this done, is there anything else that should get replaced with the subframe off the bottom of the vehicle? Motor mounts? I don't want to be faced with having this done, only to find out six months later that some other major work needs doing that requires taking down the subframe again?

My Cars
    E39 hamster/ruberbandPWR
    Quote Originally Posted by Maineiac 1 View Post
    Great thread for those of us with e39's old enough to have this problem. At recent oil change, I got called into the shop to witness oil beginning to seep around the oil pan gasket. Was told the shop will monitor this for dripping at next oil change, and that if I hold onto car for any length of time this is likely to have to be replaced. it's currently at 176,000 miles.

My question is: while having this done, is there anything else that should get replaced with the subframe off the bottom of the vehicle? Motor mounts? I don't want to be faced with having this done, only to find out six months later that some other major work needs doing that requires taking down the subframe again?
    If the motor mounts are original, I would replace them while replacing the oil pan gasket.

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86
    Did you have to remove the brake calipers for this?

My Cars
    2004 BMW 325i Touring
    Quote Originally Posted by adjmcloon View Post

This is a huge pain in the ass, and if you can manage it I would definitely take it to a good indy and let somebody else do it!
    I agree how much would it cost for a shop to do this?

1973 Clubman GT * 2008 BMW X1 * 2004 BMW 325i Touring* 2000 Honda S2000 *
    2016 Mazda Mx5 Club Sport

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3/4/5
    Quote Originally Posted by E39Only View Post
    Did you have to remove the brake calipers for this?
    Nope, I didn't even remove the wheels when did it.

My Cars
    528, E53 4.4, E92, F86
    Perelet, how did you manage to lower the subframe? What exactly did you do? I've tried to shake and pull down hard but it won't budge at all. The four long screws holding the subframe are out and I've loosened top and unfastened bottom of left and right engine mounts. The engine is lifted nearly 2 inches using the harborfrieght tool. Powersteering pump is out and so is the oil deepstick tube.

Should the steering rack be unfastened from the subframe?

I've given up for the day and going to bed now. I might just have to bloody cut the gasket and get it over with. I've already spent tooo many hours on this.

My Cars
    M3 - 525iTa - M5
    Awesome DIY thanks! I will be using this, and i was wondering if it might be possible to kill teo birds eith one stone... If I needed to do the steering rack too do you think I could snake it out after lowering the subframe? I ask before the instructions for the steering rack all say I need to lift the engine 1.5" or 4cm to get clearance to remove the rack

My Cars
    99 528i ,94 325i,03 350z
    Tagged

My Cars
    1999 528iT, 1994 850ci,
    Quote Originally Posted by E39Only View Post
    Perelet, how did you manage to lower the subframe? What exactly did you do? ...

The four long screws holding the subframe are out and I've loosened top and unfastened bottom of left and right engine mounts. ...

I've already spent tooo many hours on this.
    E39Only, I do not read this board often, so PM will reach me faster. Somehow you missed 2 bolts on subframe, if you read carefully I said 6 bolts, you loosened only 4 - that will make removal hard

Disconnect sway bar. Remove fan/belt, remove PS pulley, brake calipers, unbolt power steering fluid reservuar and let it hang. Put jack under subframe, remove 6 subframe bolts. Lower jack, shake subframe:
    Here's pic of subframe and bolt locations:

Also, you are lifting engine way too high - see on 1st page:

>4. Did you need to lift the engine up any?
    ~1/4 in. Just to free up engine mounts.
    Enjoy.
    Oleg.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast