Thread: Replacing headlight adjusters on pre-facelift headlights...how do u do it???

My Cars
    99' 528i & 08' 335i

Replacing headlight adjusters on pre-facelift headlights...how do u do it???

Ok guys, I have to replace my headlight adjusters as my headlights are pointing down to the ground. i went to BMW to buy the new ones, but i have no idea how to install them. Mine broke when I replaced the lenses on my headlights..(how, i do not know)...

anyhow, does anyone have a write up on here on how to install them?

Oh, forgot to add....mine are not the self level headlights either....
    Last edited by alkdc2; 04-16-2012 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1998 540i
    Several threads on this in the DIY links at top.

My Cars
    1998 540i

My Cars
    99' 528i & 08' 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by JaimeZX View Post

yes, I know, but many of them are for self leveling headlights or the HID/Xenon ones. Mine are not self leveling or Xenon headlights....

My Cars
    2003 540 M-Sport
    http://www.bmwtips.com/

Pick the Tips and Tricks tab, scroll down to Lighting, select the second line.

My Cars
    too many
    the pre-facelift ones are the easiest.

Remove headlight (4 bolts, i think 10mm)

remove glass

replace adjusters

replace glass

install headlight

shouldn't take more than 15 mins per headlight for you..... lucky SOB

My Cars
    '99 528i/5, '01 Boobaru
    For pre-facelifts the procedure is the same regardless of halogen or xenon HID.

Take the assemblies out of the car.
    Remove the bulbs.
    Pop the lens cover off and you are looking at the reflectors; they're mounted together on a frame bracket that has to come off.

The plastic adjusters have ball tips that are pressed into sockets on the backside of the reflector bracket; one for horizontal adjustments is located behind the top outside corner of the bracket near the low-beam reflector and the other, for vertical adjustment, is at the top of the bracket between the two reflectors. If they're already broken, you don't have to work at getting those things out of the bracket sockets yet.

The lower bracket pivot is located between the high and low-beam reflectors, straight down from the vertical adjuster, and has a little white tab that you turn 90 degrees, allowing you to simply slide the pivot down and out (or the frame up and out; look at it and you'll know....).

You get the reflector bracket off, get the broken aduster ball tips out of the bracket sockets (might need pick tools or small drill to crush that crap) and unscrew the broken adjuster pieces still in the headlight housing. Then you thread the new adjusters onto the metal screws, slide the relfector bracket back onto its lower pivot, and use your palms to snap the new adjuster ball tips into their respective sockets. This last part is a bit tricky; you want to get the adjusters screwed in far enough so that when you snap them into their bracket sockets, you can apply pressure straight down. Might want to lube the ball tips with something.... (not WD40).

I'd recommend you buy new adjusters from the dealer or if you want the best price, go to Pelicanparts.com and get the MTC brand adjusters. They're pink plastic and fit well; some vendors sell more expensive versions that are way too tight....

Snap the lens covers back on, insert the bulbs, install the housings back on the car, plug everything in, go find a good wall to adjust beam levels.

My Cars
    99' 528i & 08' 335i
    Quote Originally Posted by pleiades View Post
    For pre-facelifts the procedure is the same regardless of halogen or xenon HID.

Take the assemblies out of the car.
    Remove the bulbs.
    Pop the lens cover off and you are looking at the reflectors; they're mounted together on a frame bracket that has to come off.

The plastic adjusters have ball tips that are pressed into sockets on the backside of the reflector bracket; one for horizontal adjustments is located behind the top outside corner of the bracket near the low-beam reflector and the other, for vertical adjustment, is at the top of the bracket between the two reflectors. If they're already broken, you don't have to work at getting those things out of the bracket sockets yet.

The lower bracket pivot is located between the high and low-beam reflectors, straight down from the vertical adjuster, and has a little white tab that you turn 90 degrees, allowing you to simply slide the pivot down and out (or the frame up and out; look at it and you'll know....).

You get the reflector bracket off, get the broken aduster ball tips out of the bracket sockets (might need pick tools or small drill to crush that crap) and unscrew the broken adjuster pieces still in the headlight housing. Then you thread the new adjusters onto the metal screws, slide the relfector bracket back onto its lower pivot, and use your palms to snap the new adjuster ball tips into their respective sockets. This last part is a bit tricky; you want to get the adjusters screwed in far enough so that when you snap them into their bracket sockets, you can apply pressure straight down. Might want to lube the ball tips with something.... (not WD40).

I'd recommend you buy new adjusters from the dealer or if you want the best price, go to Pelicanparts.com and get the MTC brand adjusters. They're pink plastic and fit well; some vendors sell more expensive versions that are way too tight....

Snap the lens covers back on, insert the bulbs, install the housings back on the car, plug everything in, go find a good wall to adjust beam levels.
    Thank you very much good sir.

My Cars
    Bmw 328 f30
    The plastic adjusters with the ball tips need a lot of force to be pushed in? Im not sure if mine is broken or if needs to be forced in. Any ideas?

My Cars
    1999 540i, 2000 540i
    Hey I just did mine like three days ago. There is a video on you tube that is very well done. it shows the process for the xenon headlights. Yours are done following the same steps. Search YouTube for "200 BMW E39 M5 xenon headlight adjuster replacement" Video is by J. Wade Browne. Hope it helps and good luck.