Thread: Drive by wire delete / E46 / S54 Throttle cable conversion possible?

My Cars
    99' M3

Drive by wire delete / E46 / S54 Throttle cable conversion possible?

Alright guys, ive looked high and low but I cant find anywhere there is a decent talk about converting an E46 from drive by wire to throttle cable. I recently saw VAC stocks a conversion kit: http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...kit-p1341.aspx

Still slightly confused how that would be a full kit... not like my petal is set up for a throttle cable right now.
    I cant even find anyone whos done this... seems like it would be pretty popular...

Anyone have a good DYI, video, etc of how to do the full conversion?

Other thoughts, ideas, etc? I hate the drive by wire system and want my cable back so any sprint booster crap is not going to cut it. missing my E36 throttle!

My Cars
    2001 bmw 330ci
    Why?

My Cars
    Transports Metropolitans
    Throttle cables provide superior feedback and feel. They also require more maintenance. Dunno anything about such a conversion though.

My Cars
    99' M3
    tool- its difficult to explain to someone who is content with a drive by wire system. The delay from this system at first was no big deal, but the longer I drive the car the more its becoming a daily problem. boggs on start because the engine is not responding to what my foot is doing for what feels like a full second.
    Basically the drive by wire system feels like im hooked up to 56k playing first person shooter games when im used to being on a T1 line. shits just SLOW.

After owning an E36 with a throttle cable for years I feel who ever came up with drive by wire should be shot - what a foolish system.

My Cars
    97 Ford Ranger (Prerunner), 92 Toyota pickup 4x4
    I know this is an old thread but looking for info to convert to cable for 2001 325i that will see mostly track time.
    Tony

My Cars
    335d, 328xd (had 330xi)
    If you're converting to a track car, you can get a stand-alone ECU and do it. Not otherwise AFAIK.

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    On the M3 it can be done with even the stock ecu, albeit with a lot of software modification. You will lose DSC and cruise control however. And the dme will no longer be torque managed.

I don't think it's really necessary on the M3 though. I've driven many throttle cable cars, and the M3 isn't noticeably laggier. The stock throttle curve is a little bit sluggish, but you can change that pretty easily in the dme.

The throttle feedback isn't there, but I fail to see how that's really an issue. It's not like steering feedback where the feedback gives you useful information.

My Cars
    325CI manual
    Quote Originally Posted by Boxerchip View Post
    Alright guys, ive looked high and low but I cant find anywhere there is a decent talk about converting an E46 from drive by wire to throttle cable. I recently saw VAC stocks a conversion kit: http://store.vacmotorsports.com/vac-...kit-p1341.aspx

Still slightly confused how that would be a full kit... not like my petal is set up for a throttle cable right now.
    I cant even find anyone whos done this... seems like it would be pretty popular...

Anyone have a good DYI, video, etc of how to do the full conversion?

Other thoughts, ideas, etc? I hate the drive by wire system and want my cable back so any sprint booster crap is not going to cut it. missing my E36 throttle!
    Sprint Booster fixes this. And before somebody jumps in as they have done previously no I don't have anything to do with them, I just like sprintcar racing!

DBW on my E46 330i drove me nuts. I drove the car 100K miles and never did get used to it.

Throttle response on my Epic tune S54 is instant, with no discernible lag.
    '95 M3 S54 Track Toy
    '19 X5 40i M-Sport
    '16 Cayman GT4
    ‘23 GR Corolla

My Cars
    2003 330Ci

Question

BUMP

Uh Uh Uh Uh staying alive

Found a reset protocol for the fly by wire throttle

Turn key to position 2 and count 10 seconds
    Turn key to off and count 10 seconds
    start engine.

Your throttle will now be reset

Will be trying this tomorrow before work.
    Last edited by Doge; 02-10-2016 at 11:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    2003 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Doge View Post
    Will be trying this tomorrow before work.
    Seems to have worked. (Not that anyone is looking at this deadthread.)
    Quote Originally Posted by bmwdirtracer View Post
    ...we shouldn't forget that he changed the radio oil...
    "Stop im assuming im people in the past im giving you all the info you need and all i here is bitching ......im not stupid"

My Cars
    e30 318i, 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by TerraPhantm View Post
    On the M3 it can be done with even the stock ecu, albeit with a lot of software modification. You will lose DSC and cruise control however. And the dme will no longer be torque managed.

I don't think it's really necessary on the M3 though. I've driven many throttle cable cars, and the M3 isn't noticeably laggier. The stock throttle curve is a little bit sluggish, but you can change that pretty easily in the dme.

The throttle feedback isn't there, but I fail to see how that's really an issue. It's not like steering feedback where the feedback gives you useful information.
    I've seen other posts from you elsewhere about a similar topic.
    Has anyone ever documented how to adjust the tune to account for this? i found this thread:
    http://www.m3forum.net/m3forum/showthread.php?t=458827

But its come to an end as well.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 318i
    Bumping this thread as I would really like an answer.
    I have an M52B28 TU (2000 UK model) that has a 10 pin throttle body (wire actuated drive by wire thing).

It will be replaced with cable operated throttle and TPS.

Anyone know how to wire the TPS without putting the ECU into limp mode?

There are two driver wish cables.
    Two TPS cables (+ two ground wires)
    Two stepped motor actuators.
    Struggling to recall the other two wires (probably stepper motor grounds) but can check later.

Any clues?

ECU is an MS42.

My Cars
    Two Z3 Roadsters
    By memory the M52TUB28 have a throttle cable with electric drive (MKD) over rides for cruise control and ASC/DSC.
    1999 2.8L Z3 Roadster,
    2000 3.0L Z3 Roadster,

There is only one thing more pleasurable than working on a Z3, that's driving it top down on a fine day.

My Cars
    1999 BMW 318i
    Quote Originally Posted by Muzz258 View Post
    By memory the M52TUB28 have a throttle cable with electric drive (MKD) over rides for cruise control and ASC/DSC.
    Yep. The throttle is directly controlled by a cable, however, actuators can override it's position. It has two actuators, and two TPSs and two driver wish position sensors.
    If it detects an issue, it goes into limp mode.

I haven't started experimenting with it yet, however, I anticipate this to be the main blocker with me using the MS42 ECU on my throttle body conversion.

My Cars
    E36 328i M54B28
    I have a M52TUB28 on my E36 (defo cable operated), which I converted to DBW. I'm really really happy with the way it responds, imo, it's much quicker than the cable one. It sort of feels like when you install those things that trick the ECU into thinking the pedal is depressed more, can't remember the name. As previously mentioned, if it feels anything less than sharp, it maybe just needs a reset?