Thread: e34 instrument cluster bulbs

My Cars
    BMW 535i 1992

e34 instrument cluster bulbs

hey guys
    a month ago i changed my instrument cluster bulbs with OEM bulbs and they looked bright but not as much as in this picture

in the above picture its much brighter and nice
    my car has the 2nd generation instrument cluster (90 535i) and the above piture is (95 m5 )
    is there any way to get the same brightness without changing the whole cluster

and another problem is one of my climate control thumbwheel has a blown bulb i tried to change it but its irreplaceable and i have to re-shoulder another bulb ? what kind of bulb should i use

My Cars
    '95 540iA
    IT looks like they used some kind of wide angle LED in the above pic. Where did ya find that picture?

And are you talking about the thumbwheel at the center vent in the dash?

this one?:

It can be easily replaced. IIRC it is the same small bulbs for the instrument cluster, but without the black base. The bulb just plugs into the socket and the socket plugs into the center vent.

Quote Originally Posted by 1990525i View Post
    the bees knees

My Cars
    1995 BMW 540i
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplane94 View Post
    IT looks like they used some kind of wide angle LED in the above pic. Where did ya find that picture?

this one?:

It can be easily replaced. IIRC it is the same small bulbs for the instrument cluster, but without the black base. The bulb just plugs into the socket and the socket plugs into the center vent.

These have bulbs? I knew something was weird

My Cars
    540i6, 540iA, RX7, RdBlk
    Quote Originally Posted by ZIDSAB View Post
    hey guys
    a month ago i changed my instrument cluster bulbs with OEM bulbs and they looked bright but not as much as in this picture

in the above picture its much brighter and nice
    my car has the 2nd generation instrument cluster (90 535i) and the above piture is (95 m5 )
    is there any way to get the same brightness without changing the whole cluster

and another problem is one of my climate control thumbwheel has a blown bulb i tried to change it but its irreplaceable and i have to re-shoulder another bulb ? what kind of bulb should i use
    Well, something you should know is that when taking a picture of a lighted object, exposure means everything. Meaning, if you take a longer exposure picture, something lit up will appear brighter. I'm thinking that's why this pic seems so bright - poorly taken pic making it seem brighter than it really is. For what it's worth, it's kinda tough to take good pics of backit things, especially with cheap cameras. Easy enough if you know what your doing though, and easier still if you have a good camera. But that pic is overexposed, so don't take that as how bright you dash should be. If you have new bulbs, you're probably ahead of the curve.

Fox

My Cars
    BMW 535i 1992
    Quote Originally Posted by paperplane94 View Post

this one?:

nah not this one bro
    i meant the one in the right of the following pic

My Cars
    1989 BMW 535i
    = This one.

Take the bulb to radio shack (or equivalent, like a computer place), they should be able to help.

My Cars
    M3 e46cs,E21 M5 s38 swap
    hey guys , pls i need help ! im looking for 89/2 m5 e34 cluster pigtails the grey cluster the code on the pigtail any help? pls thx

My Cars
    1989 BMW E34 525i
    God's sake if anyone still finds this topic and wonders the same thing - how to increase the brightness of the instrument cluster. Do NOT put in 5 watt bulbs in your instrument cluster, I've made that mistake myself and the damn thing fried some wires. Particularly the wires going to the brightness control button. It was a cheap fix, but having your cluster flicker while driving at night and then smelling burning wires followed by thick white smoke coming from your instrument cluster is something I'd only wish upon my enemy.