Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: E39 Cold Air intake

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Personally, I'd like to see the data. If you put it up, it would be cool. If not, thats fine as well.

That kid lost his argument a looong time ago, and has no credibility on here. All I'm asking for is a little proof, but he doesnt understand that. Perhaps you can shed some light on this, or give us some insight, Absentmathis?

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    I came back to check for graphs & facts but still see garbled written paragraphs. Not going to read

Quote Originally Posted by absentmathis View Post
    Are you bragging about the stuff you have in an effort to back up your claims?
    Absolutely. I would rather trust the guy with an airplane, Porsche GT3, and access to dyno than some guy that can type poorly written paragraphs.
    Last edited by webdesigner; 04-13-2012 at 06:41 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    99 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    you said you hooked it directly to the throttle body and didnt like it then took it back off? you ran it without the maf? Of course the car would run f'd up. Rofl
    I don't use a maf.
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Umm. Y?
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Mac Castle View Post
    Lol I wonder what the op is thinkin
    I'm like wow..this has turned into a heated debate. Good news is that my intake came in yesterday and I will be installing it this weekend along with my NGK irridum sparkplugs

My Cars
    99 540i6
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    Umm. Y?
    Because EFI Live COS3 with semi-closed loop because big camshaft. Don't have a need for a MAF.
    Last edited by James39; 04-13-2012 at 08:11 AM.
    '99 BMW 540i6 L33 5.3, PRC Heads, E-force supercharged
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1674320

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by bullard123 View Post

I'm like wow..this has turned into a heated debate. Good news is that my intake came in yesterday and I will be installing it this weekend along with my NGK irridum sparkplugs
    I predict warp speed will finally be attained.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    I predict warp speed will finally be attained.
    Nah not aiming for warp speed but what would be nice lol...Just trying to get rid of the stock lag and hesitation. Just a quicker response

My Cars
    '94 M-Technic, 76 Porsche 911, '01 Ram 4x4
    Wow, what arguments... a lot of people think they are really smart, perhaps some should stand back and look at the forest instead of the trees...
    Do you see that wrinkled a** elbow before the maf on the stock box, you think that allows for smooth airflow? So, cooler air with a larger diameter opening does nothing, (I am not arguing whether the factory intakes cool air, but rather the opening it allows it to enter the stock box)? Smooth transitions in the radius and bends of the airway also has no effect?
    Perhaps, you slap a cai on and yes, immeasurable gains, but open the exhaust to match etc and you will start seeing gains. It is always the big picture.
    Lots of people will put small diameter pullies on there supercharged car just to see it run slower and not make as much power. Wow, more boost from a small pulley and the car doesnt make more power, small pullies must be bad. But do the supporting mods, big dividends. (Well, with a BMW "big" dividends may be a bit strong lol).

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    I came back to check for graphs & facts but still see garbled written paragraphs. Not going to read

Absolutely. I would rather trust the guy with an airplane, Porsche GT3, and access to dyno than some guy that can type poorly written paragraphs.
    I also came back to check for some kind of data from you, for an E39, but still see that you don't know what a comma is. I never said you should trust me, and I really don't care if you do. But to trust someone just because they have an airplane is something a little kid says. Also, avoiding the topic doesn't help your case little guy.

Im still waiting for you to prove a point here. I'm not even stopping you. I'd like to see a few different dyno runs from a 540i with just a CAI.

I'll also ask you to stop taking our discussion to different threads, and saying I should be banned. Im surprised you haven't been banned yet.

Just move on if you have nothing useful to contribute.

Im curious to see what you think of it when its installed! Maybe start a new thread though, so the other ones wont follow. Then we can have a legit interested crowd that has useful things to say or add. Best of luck!
    Last edited by Giancarlo976; 04-13-2012 at 02:56 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Nah not aiming for warp speed but what would be nice lol...Just trying to get rid of the stock lag and hesitation. Just a quicker response

Warp speed or fail.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Giancarlo976 View Post
    Well, if everyone is stating how the stock box is superior, no matter what you do, then how do you agree with this as the right decision? If a CAI is SOO bad for your car, then no matter what you do to your car, it will always be a bad thing, right? You cant justify saying "A CAI is a dumb idea unless you have other parts to support it." That makes absolutely zero sense. You are just contradicting yourself at this point.
    WTF?!? I NEVER said that a CAI was a "bad idea", "dumb" nor did I say it was "bad for your car". Stop trying to put words in my mouth...

The only statement I made was that the Dinan Rep I spoke to told me that "JUST ADDING A CAI WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE UNLESS DONE IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER DINAN MODS." and from the sheet you posted, have confirmation. We have a CAI from the BMW factory...

In order to make use of more airflow, the throttle body would certainly have to be larger to accommodate the increased volume of air and the software would have to be updated to reflect the change. It seems like simple math to me...

If you just want colder air for your ride...move farther North!

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    I was generalizing that statement to everyone's comments. Didn't mean to put words in your mouth, so if you feel that way, thats my bad and I apologize. I'm so sick of this thread already, and I'm sure you are too, so I'll just clarify a few things.

I wanted a better throttle response, revving, and overall better feel of my car. I wasn't looking to make any power at all, and didn't buy it so I could get the noise it makes. That was my first mod to it, and I was very happy with the results. Then I did the exhaust and I liked it even more. So now I'm content with the setup I have.

Now the problem I have with this is when someone comes to me and says "Your setup is a scam, and it is scientifically proven to not work. I have this proof!" Then they don't actually show me any proof, they just want to be right about it. I dont take one mans opinion to be the gospel. Webdesigner had the chance to prove this to me, but instead showed us something that has nothing to do with anything. I'm still waiting for him, or anyone, to show me some kind of real data that backs their claims up. Not a dyno from another type of car, but a few dynos of the cars (in different scenarios) we are talking about. I researched it extensively before I got mine. I found dyno charts, airflow charts, and sought out the manufacturer results from testing. It's all out there, open to the public! Im not going to spend my time researching it all again to prove a point to some kid who thinks people with airplanes have superior knowledge then the rest of us. He can go and do the research himself. I'm not his daddy, and I'm not going to hold his hand. He can be right about all of this and show all the proof he wants, and I'll be cool with that.

I ended up liking my setup a lot. Sure, maybe I am a fortunate person to not have had any problems with it at all. Im happy with what I paid for, and I feel like it was well worth it. I have nothing but good things to say about the AFE Pro Dry Intake system for my 540iT. I also have the experience of having it on a bone stock car, and then later on with more support mods. I am not saying I'm right or wrong, just that it worked for me. So maybe, I'm a "best case scenario".

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i

I'm like wow..this has turned into a heated debate.
    Yes, cold air intake debates are taken very serious here as you can tell.
    If you would rather have a calm, civil debate, be sure to post a new thread asking which car is faster between a 530i and 540i.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    2000 E39, 2000 E36/7
    Quote Originally Posted by Schitzo View Post
    Yes, cold air intake debates are taken very serious here as you can tell.
    If you would rather have a calm, civil debate, be sure to post a new thread asking which car is faster between a 530i and 540i.
    it used to be i6 vs v8,
    now just 530i vs 540i? I feel left out.

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    My Stock 530i once completely smoked an SRT Viper.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by Giancarlo976 View Post
    My Stock 530i once completely smoked out an SRT Viper.
    A bad CCV will do that.

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    A bad CCV will do that.
    We swapped engines for the day. Thats how it was possible.

My Cars
    2000 E39, 2000 E36/7
    drive like biff and you'll always win

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    You guys could actually do something useful, read this thread and help my buddy out with some troubleshooting input...it has nothing to do with CAI either.

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1820838

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by VLee View Post
    drive like biff and you'll always win
    God damm Right!!!!

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Wonder why Giancarlo976 or Topaz still haven't put their cars on a dyno yet with stock vs ricer intake comparison runs. Love bimmerforums
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Moon ButtDyno Rules!

Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    Wonder why Giancarlo976 or Topaz still haven't put their cars on a dyno yet with stock vs ricer intake comparison runs. Love bimmerforums
    They have...it's called the "ButtDyno"!!

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Have you guys?

I know Webdesigner put up someone else's dyno results.
    Last edited by Giancarlo976; 04-13-2012 at 11:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E39 moonlight silver
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    .......Dinan Rep I spoke to told me that "JUST ADDING A CAI WILL NOT MAKE A DIFFERENCE UNLESS DONE IN COMBINATION WITH OTHER DINAN MODS."

I'm staying out of this debate, but this stuck out at me and said .... this guy is a salesman, that's what he suppose to say.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast