Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: E39 Cold Air intake

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Yes...you seem to have selective vision as well. You only point out the Dinan intake and ignore the fact that he has a complete Dinan Package (not making a point). That spec sheet is in combination with the Dinan Intake and the reason it makes a difference. The Dinan rep stated to me that you have to do much more than just replace the air box...you just confirmed that statement. Thanks...
    Well, if everyone is stating how the stock box is superior, no matter what you do, then how do you agree with this as the right decision? If a CAI is SOO bad for your car, then no matter what you do to your car, it will always be a bad thing, right? You cant justify saying "A CAI is a dumb idea unless you have other parts to support it." That makes absolutely zero sense. You are just contradicting yourself at this point.
    Last edited by Giancarlo976; 04-12-2012 at 04:33 PM.

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by bullard123 View Post
    Lol he he i'll take it Seriously though the name brand ones will cost a bit more than the cheap ebay ones. AEM, Dinan etc. I am going to install the one i got and see how i like it.
    /Thread.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Yes...you seem to have selective vision as well. You only point out the Dinan intake and ignore the fact that he has a complete Dinan Package (not making a point). That spec sheet is in combination with the Dinan Intake and the reason it makes a difference. The Dinan rep stated to me that you have to do much more than just replace the air box...you just confirmed that statement. Thanks...
    Ignorance is bliss.
    Quote Originally Posted by Aradaiel View Post
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    E39 moonlight silver
    This thread will be evidence to my class action lawsuit against all these intake manufactures. Who's in?

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by Giancarlo976 View Post
    Well, if everyone is stating how the stock box is superior, no matter what you do, then how do you agree with this as the right decision? If a CAI is SOO bad for your car, then no matter what you do to your car, it will always be a bad thing, right? You cant justify saying "A CAI is a dumb idea unless you have other parts to support it." That makes absolutely zero sense. You are just contradicting yourself at this point.
    I'm sure your tuning company is better than Dinan.

Can I tune my car on your butt dyno this week?
    I'm sorry, the m5 and the 528/530 don't feel the same driving them. The m5 is leaps and bounds better. My loud pedal actually does something in the m5, steering is tighter, suspension is tighter and just feels better. The ONLY thing my 525/528/530 does better than my m5 is use less fuel. The whole rack and pinion thing is stupid, they feel the same.

My Cars
    99 528i/5, 98 528i, E30
    It's very simple...stock airbox plus silencer & air intake muffler delete + AFE oiled filter = PERFECT.

I speak from experience on a few E39's and other BMW's I've modified. The stock air box is well designed and just needs a few simple tweaks to make it just right.

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner View Post
    I'm sure your tuning company is better than Dinan.

Can I tune my car on your butt dyno this week?
    Hey, Im on Dinan's side. But if someone is saying a CAI wont do anything and its bad for your car, THEN says it will do something because another part doesnt make it bad anymore, Im going to question that thought. Some people here think they are the most knowledgeable person in the world about everything. All Im doing is pointing out flaws in their logic.

By the way, I dont do butt dynos, and I never claim that something "feels faster". Whats your beef with me?

Quote Originally Posted by fabby318 View Post
    It's very simple...stock airbox plus silencer & air intake muffler delete + AFE oiled filter = PERFECT.

I speak from experience on a few E39's and other BMW's I've modified. The stock air box is well designed and just needs a few simple tweaks to make it just right.
    Probably one of the best answers on here so far. Good man.
    Last edited by Giancarlo976; 04-12-2012 at 05:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Wow I've read through the posts and have read some good points on both sides.....From my experience I have been satistfied with the intakes I have had on the 2 cars I had them on. One was a short ram. It was very responsive and I noticed better fuel mileage and higher revs than from stock the other was a cold air intake. I felt a differerence with that one too but the short ram was more responsive. These were both on the 2 hondas I've owned. I can't speak from a BMW perspective which is why I started this thread to hear both sides of the discussion.

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bullard123 View Post
    Wow I've read through the posts and have read some good points on both sides.....From my experience I have been satistfied with the intakes I have had on the 2 cars I had them on. One was a short ram. It was very responsive and I noticed better fuel mileage and higher revs than from stock the other was a cold air intake. I felt a differerence with that one too but the short ram was more responsive. These were both on the 2 hondas I've owned. I can't speak from a BMW perspective which is why I started this thread to hear both sides of the discussion.
    Thats what its all about. I think you have a good amount of information here to decide for yourself wether or not to do it. Good luck, and let us know how it turns out either way.

My Cars
    E36/7 E36/8x2 E46 F25
    Well, if it's just simulated engine noise you want, then this is your ticket

/.randy

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Hey, Im on Dinan's side. But if someone is saying a CAI wont do anything and its bad for your car, THEN says it will do something because another part doesnt make it bad anymore, Im going to question that thought. Some people here think they are the most knowledgeable person in the world about everything. All Im doing is pointing out flaws in their logic.

By the way, I dont do butt dynos, and I never claim that something "feels faster". Whats your beef with me?

My "beef" is that you don't provide any metrics to back your baseless claims. Neither does 85% of other "cold air" intake manufacturers. It's just babble.

The scenario above proves he lost power when switching, and here you are still trying to convince yourself. Just sayin'
    Last edited by webdesigner; 04-12-2012 at 07:23 PM.

My Cars
    ferrari f40
    Quote Originally Posted by crdiscoverer View Post
    I have a "CAI", not because I wanted it but because my supercharger kit came with one to replace the stock, real CAI.

My take?: While I can't speak with numbers for obvious reasons (no SC before), below 2k rpms where the SC is not spinning fast enough to make any noticeable power, I can tell that the car tends to bog down where it was fine before. I can extrapolate that and conclude that if I had the stock engine with an aftermarket CAI, I'd get unacceptable loss of response at low revs and I'd have removed it. So, for stock or lightly modded E39s, do your car and yourself a favor and keep the stock intake muffler.

your take makes no sense. because your supercharger is causing low end lag you didnt have before that therefore it means a cai is to blame? that like saying i changed my spark plugs and started flooring it from every red light and blame my plugs for lower mpg.
    why on earth would a freer flowing filter cause a loss of torque? rofl do you know how an engine works?

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    I doubt any valid explanation of how cone air filters can allow silicon particles to pass and settle in your oil or the possibility of hydro-locking you engine will sound as cool as the vroom vroom sound you get from a CAI.

ok your banned from the arguement. afe is the brand in dispute and its the only brand that doesnt get blamed for hydrolock. not one case i have found because its up high behind the headlight. the hydrolock type is a completely different setup.
    the stock setup takes it air from lower than this so therefore from a hydrolocking stand point stock is actually worse.

and for the silcon particles. sure some people are dumb and to lazy to clean and oil it, but for the rest of us that do this on a regular basis this is not an issue. if the filter isnt bright blue anymore its dry so oil it. not rocket science.

if a freer flowing air filter doesnt help than niether does a freer flowing m60 manifold or larger diameter exhaust. maybe what i should do is put a big kink in the maf tube elbow to try and stop all air from entering my engine. maybe that will increase my power. apparantly this car is so well engineered that it is impossible to modify. people here are actually claiming modifying an engine makes it lose power.
    Last edited by modkiller; 04-12-2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    My "beef" is that you don't provide any metrics to back your baseless claims. Neither does 85% of other "cold air" intake manufacturers. It's just babble.

The scenario above proves he lost power when switching, and here you are still trying to convince yourself. Just sayin'
    All the data you need is provided by the manufacturer, I dont see how you dont understand that. You are the one that cant provide the numbers. All you are doing is saying it doesnt work, yet have no solid proof. And if you were to show your numbers, it would be for your specific car and situation. The M5 mentioned above is not even the car we are talking about, so it has no business being on here as your "proof". Thats a completely different beast. I can easily say that a Prius doesnt gain anything with an AFE intake vs stock, and have the so called proof to show it, but that carries zero weight on this thread. Show me the manufacturer babble you are talking about, show me your numbers, and show me other numbers on E39 525, 528, 530, and 540's before you shoot me down. Ill trust a respected and proven CAI manufacturer over you any day. Just sayin'

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer View Post
    I doubt any valid explanation of how cone air filters can allow silicon particles to pass and settle in your oil or the possibility of hydro-locking you engine will sound as cool as the vroom vroom sound you get from a CAI.

Please, if you do not have one installed, install one. Enjoy it. Tell your friends. Do plenty of full throttle runs up and down the street so you can let the world know, you're a CAI baller.

Because frankly Scarlett.....
    Is an oil change really that hard to do? The amount of particles you are talking about are so negligible that they wont even affect wear or performance. Just change out that oil before 6k like everyone else and you will be fine.
    Last edited by Giancarlo976; 04-12-2012 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Or make sure the filter isnt dry. It turns white when it isnt wet anymore.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    All the data you need is provided by the manufacturer, I dont see how you dont understand that. You are the one that cant provide the numbers. All you are doing is saying it doesnt work, yet have no solid proof. And if you were to show your numbers, it would be for your specific car and situation. The M5 mentioned above is not even the car we are talking about, so it has no business being on here as your "proof". Thats a completely different beast. I can easily say that a Prius doesnt gain anything with an AFE intake vs stock, and have the so called proof to show it, but that carries zero weight on this thread. Show me the manufacturer babble you are talking about, show me your numbers, and show me other numbers on E39 525, 528, 530, and 540's before you shoot me down. Ill trust a respected and proven CAI manufacturer over you any day. Just sayin'

Is an oil change really that hard to do? The amount of particles you are talking about are so negligible that they wont even affect wear or performance. Just change out that oil before 6k like everyone else and you will be fine.
    The manufacturers huh? Oh, you mean their "average" claims?

Like the proof on M5Board wasn't enough, LMAO. You're a broken record. Good luck with your tuning company. The facts were shown above in real life testing with metrics, have yet to see yours other than some "averages".

Here's a supercharger for you

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-electric...66f4be&vxp=mtr

They have the same metrics you use. Babble.

Man up and show a chart like the great members on M5Board did or you're just all talk. I'm talking an actual dyno print-out, not something from a photo program.
    Last edited by webdesigner; 04-12-2012 at 09:34 PM.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    To say it does nothing is one thing. I admit thats possible. But to say it reduces power is just plain retarded.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    To say it does nothing is one thing. I admit thats possible. But to say it reduces power is just plain retarded.
    Funny how M5Board members actually test their claims and BimmerForums members just tend to run their mouth

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...no-review.html

Think this thread is enough proof

Later

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    And to the guy with his data files that have the proof but is only willing to share them with one member privately, rofl right....., you said you hooked it directly to the throttle body and didnt like it then took it back off? you ran it without the maf? Of course the car would run f'd up. Rofl

Only on bimmerforums do people think half assed opinions over rule science.

The engine is an air compressor, the more air that moves thru it the more power it makes. Restricting the air on purpose does not increase power. If that was true having a turbo would do nothing but reduce power by that logic.

Funny how M5Board members actually test their claims and BimmerForums members just tend to run their mouth

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60...no-review.html

Think this thread is enough proof

Later
    Proves nothing. What the hell is an rpi scoop? Our cars dont even have those so its a moot point.
    Last edited by topaz540i; 04-12-2012 at 09:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    RWD + TORQUE
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    And to the guy with his data files that have the proof but is only willing to share them with one member privately, rofl right....., you said you hooked it directly to the throttle body and didnt like it then took it back off? you ran it without the maf? Of course the car would run f'd up. Rofl

Only on bimmerforums do people think half assed opinions over rule science.

The engine is an air compressor, the more air that moves thru it the more power it makes. Restricting the air on purpose does not increase power. If that was true having a turbo would do nothing but reduce power by that logic.

Proves nothing. What the hell is an rpi scoop? Our cars dont even have those so its a moot point.
    Hey, why trust the guy with an airplane, Porsche, M5, and hard data when I can trust the guy with a 540 that can type a poorly written paragraph?

PS the RPI scoops have virtually nothing to do with what's going on... He was testing an AFE intake AT RPI... Sigh.
    Last edited by webdesigner; 04-12-2012 at 09:55 PM.

My Cars
    ferrari f40
    ok here is my dyno graph

proves just as much if not more than all the other ones.

um you provided a graph for an e60 m5.
    i have no idea what that set up looks like. maybe it is better but thats not the type of car any of us are talking about. your in the e39 forum bro. if you want to say how stock is better you cant provide a graph of some other type of car and substitute that as evidence. and thats one guys experience that is well within dyno variation anyway. maybe it was hot and humid that day.
    Last edited by modkiller; 04-12-2012 at 09:53 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2002 525i
    Quote Originally Posted by webdesigner

Just cuz I got a 5 speed hurr, KAY AN ENNN.

Ugh.

Instead of wasting your money on something that will hurt more than help, buy NPG coolant so you can shut your trap in the other thread you ruined.
    Aah... Sigh.. I have two cars. And have no coolant problem on the one I intend to buy the cai..and overall the other doesn't have coolant issue no moe. Live on, Dude let it go I did

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Hey, why trust the guy with an airplane, Porsche, M5, and hard data when I can trust the guy with a 540 that can type a poorly written paragraph?

PS the RPI scoops have virtually nothing to do with what's going on... He was testing an AFE intake AT RPI... Sigh.
    WHY wouldn't I trust a guy with an AIRPLANE, PORSCHE, V10 M5, and hard data? Because its not OUR CAR! Dude, this has to be the single most retarded argument I have ever seen.

Do you realize you STILL have not shown me anything that proves me or the manufacturers wrong? If you want proof of numbers, go to the publicly released manufacturer numbers. You can believe them or not, I dont care. Im not going to hold your hand through google search and walk you to the answer, which is everywhere.

Your attempt to embarrass me in a photoshop comparison between an M5 V10 and an E39 v8 proves that you are insane. None of what you are saying makes any sense here. As for my paragraph skills...Really? You are attacking my PARAGRAPH skills. If you care that much about grammar and sentence/paragraph construction, you should probably be on another forum. Then you PM'd me a picture of the garbage nonsensical comparison AND posted it up here.

To sum it up, here is what you are saying, Webdesigner -

"I have hard data (metrics, numbers, etc.) that prove, beyond a shadow of a doubt, that an intake system designed specifically for an E60 M5, doesn't work. Therefore, aftermarket intakes do not work on any car, ever. It actually makes you lose power, no matter what you drive. Just to back up my super accurate data, this one guy has an Airplane. I also type better than anyone in the history of written language possibly could. Plus, I'm really good at photoshopping 2 things together that have absolutely nothing to do with each other, make a flow chart from it, and therefore proving definitively, that I am 100% correct. No matter what you say, I'm right about everything, even though I have not, and can not prove it in a realistic way."

You shouldn't argue about this because you are stuck in your own little pissed off world of confusion. Get the CORRECT data, and show it to yourself until you understand. Then come back here once you stop being such a child.

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2002 525i
    Lol I wonder what the op is thinkin

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Webdesigner keeps pming me that an e60 m5 intake is the same as an e39 non m5 because an intake is an intake so this one isolated incedent proves that all intakes no matter what the design sucks. By that theory the stock intake must suck equally as well because an intake that sucks air is an intake that sucks air. Is it just me or does an e60 m5 have nothing to do with anything going on here?

Usually when it resorts to insults it means the arguement ran out of gas awhile ago and there is nothing logical left to say.

Who's sig is it that says something about dont argue with an idiot because you will lose lol?

Quote Originally Posted by Mac Castle View Post
    Lol I wonder what the op is thinkin
    O i think he left the building awhile ago lol
    Last edited by topaz540i; 04-12-2012 at 11:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    ~2001 540i/6speed~

My Cars
    '03 530
    Hey, why trust the guy with an airplane, Porsche, M5, and hard data when I can trust the guy with a 540 that can type a poorly written paragraph?:
    Are you bragging about the stuff you have in an effort to back up your claims? That not only doesn't help your case but kind of makes you look like a dick. You should have left it at hard data, though I think I agree with your point.

I'm haven't read this whole thing by any means, but I've seen several side-by-side dyno comparos with stock vs cai and they have all been negligible gains or arguable losses (maybe increase peak hp but hurt low end). Adding them with multiple other components is a different story.

How many of you are engineers or educated in a related field? Do any of you that are really think removing the baffle helps?

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast