Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: E39 Cold Air intake

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i

E39 Cold Air intake

Anyone running one on here?? I've seen the K & N brand and a few others. For the people who have them are you impressed with the results? What brands would you recommend?

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by bullard123 View Post
    Anyone running one on here??
    From the factory, everyone is.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 540i, '94 325is
    Any that leave the engine bay.
    2001 540i6 Sport
    Engine Mods: Dinan Throttle Body, Dinan MAF, M60 Intake Manifold, Dinan SC Bracketing, Dinan Crank Pulley, Vortech V2 SQ SC, water/air intercooled @ 9.5 psi, 2 heat exchangers, Intercooler piping by Wicked CAS, Vortech BOV, 42lb injectors, high flow fuel pump, Custom Tuned by ACE performance, Evosport power pullies Exhaust Mods: A1 Headers, Random Technology 100 Cell cats, Dynomax Race Bullet, Eisennman Quad Race, 3" Stainless Piping, AEM wideband Suspension Mods: Eibach springs/sway bars, Koni Sports, Powerflex, BMP strut reinforcements, Dinan Strut Bars Brake Mods: M5 Brakes, Stoptech stainless brake lines, Axxis Ultimates, Bav Auto Drilled/Slotted Rotors Transmission Mods: 3.15 with Quaife LSD , Z4M shifter, UUC Transmission Mounts, Clutchmasters FX300 Aesthetics: M5 bumpers, M5 Mirrors, M5 Trunk Lip, M5 Instrument Cluster, M-tech door sills, M-tech side molding, Style 65s with Michelin PS2s, 35% tint all around

My Cars
    2003 E39 Auto
    Anyone running one on here?? I've seen the K & N brand and a few others. For the people who have them are you impressed with the results? What brands would you recommend?
    Most don't run them because it does not benefit the car in any performance. However, if you really want to install one because it looks cool then google "BMW E39 Cold Air Intake", you should see a few companies that sell them.
    2003 530iA sport

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by teklord69

Most don't run them because it does not benefit the car in any performance. However, if you really want to install one because it looks cool then google "BMW E39 Cold Air Intake", you should see a few companies that sell them.
    +1...that's what the mechanic at DINAN told me. The car came from the factory with CAI...

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using BF.com

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Im pretty happy with the AFE Pro Dry CAI on my 540it. Felt like it was breathing better when I first installed it. Then I did my exhaust and that made it just right. I went with the Dry filter only because I didnt want to deal with re-oiling it, and you can just tap out the dirt or wash and sun dry it. You can still do the oiled filter, but thats all personal preference.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by Giancarlo976
    Im pretty happy with the AFE Pro Dry CAI on my 540it. Felt like it was breathing better when I first installed it.
    Proves nothing except that you "perceived" a difference. Put that badboy on a dyno and show me the numbers!! Otherwise I am inclined to believe the guy who actually works at DINAN...no difference unless you go with a complete package to improve performance. IMO, you should save your money for some cool mod that actually does something.

'00 540iA Sport w/235k+ Original TCG's, Vanos and transmission.​*Trans failure at 244k+...FS Now

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by 12CoolDude View Post
    Proves nothing except that you "perceived" a difference. Put that badboy on a dyno and show me the numbers!! Otherwise I am inclined to believe the guy who actually works at DINAN...no difference unless you go with a complete package to improve performance. IMO, you should save your money for some cool mod that actually does something.

I didn't want to get into this discussion again, but I'll just say this. DINAN makes a CAI which has been dyno tested and proven to provide a mild increase in power (nothing insane, but a few HP or TQ). Your mechanic friend, who works for DINAN, says it is BS. So you are essentially claiming DINAN is BS'ing us in order to buy its products, and we are gullible to believe it. I see now...Thanks for the tip. What cool mod for $250 should I do, that actually "does something"?

My Cars
    2003 530i/5 2008 Hemi WK
    Quote Originally Posted by Giancarlo976 View Post
    What cool mod for $250 should I do, that actually "does something"?
    Racing shoes.

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    I was gonna say racing gloves, for better handling, but to each his own.

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Yes that was what I was thinking as well. I'm sure the oem air intake setup is ok. But if it was that good there will be no aftermarket Cai's out there. And if they running $250 there better be a increase in hp/airflow over stock lol. Quick question what are the two air boxes at the top of the engine (near the windshield wipers) used for?? I took the filters out of both of them yesterday and found a bunch of leaves and dust etc. Cleaned them both out and you know the deal

My Cars
    10/86 635CSi,99 528iT/5
    My buddy had Dinan CAI installed in his 528 sport. The car lost a lot of torque down low and was noticeably louder and less comfortable to drive overall. I would say all the gains were high up as it reved up slightly more happy.

If you do not touch the exhaust and flash ECU DO NOT INSTALL IT or you will regret it. It is a support mod for a reason.

Anyone wants a Dinan intake cheap? I still have it
    Last edited by Pabloel; 04-11-2012 at 05:04 PM.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

I didn't want to get into this discussion again, but I'll just say this. DINAN makes a CAI which has been dyno tested and proven to provide a mild increase in power (nothing insane, but a few HP or TQ). Your mechanic friend, who works for DINAN, says it is BS. So you are essentially claiming DINAN is BS'ing us in order to buy its products, and we are gullible to believe it. I see now...Thanks for the tip. What cool mod for $250 should I do, that actually "does something"?
    Honesty and marketing are two different beasts...he had nothing to gain by steering me away from the DINAN CAI cause he knew that was the only thing I was interested in getting. He (not my friend, just a mechanic) didn't outright say it was BS but told me there were no gains from just doing the DINAN CAI...:shrug

Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer

Racing shoes.
    LMAO

Last edited by ViolinARC; 04-11-2012 at 05:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Yes that was what I was thinking as well. I'm sure the oem air intake setup is ok. But if it was that good there will be no aftermarket Cai's out there. And if they running $250 there better be a increase in hp/airflow over stock lol. Quick question what are the two air boxes at the top of the engine (near the windshield wipers) used for?? I took the filters out of both of them yesterday and found a bunch of leaves and dust etc. Cleaned them both out and you know the deal
    The two filters at the top are cabin air filters. You should replace them, not clean them out. Makes a world of difference.

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by AnotherGeezer

Racing shoes.
    LMAO...again!

Quote Originally Posted by Pabloel
    My buddy had Dinan CAI installed in his 528 sport. The car lost a lot of torque down low and was noticeably louder and less comfortable to drive overall. I would say all the gains were high up as it reved up slightly more happy.

If you do not touch the exhaust and flash ECU DO NOT INSTALL IT or you will regret it. It is a support mod for a reason.

Anyone wants a Dinan intake cheap? I still have it
    See what I mean...just changing the CAI to another CAI really doesn't do anything by itself. Wanna Dinan CAI cheap...Pabloel will sell you his buddy's!

Last edited by ViolinARC; 04-11-2012 at 05:37 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2000 540it Sport
    Ok. We'll just say Dinan is a liar and leave it at that I guess.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    I have a so called cold air intake on my car and I can tell you it does nothing my feed my engine hot air. I have logged my IATs and can tell you once the engine warms up, I have seen intake temps upwards of 60F above ambient temp.Needless to say, I have been meaning to build an intake setup similar to the factory one.

CAI = snake oil.

2003 M5 LSx l 6 Spd Manual l 4.10 LSD
    Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    Dyno results or not, peak hp increase or not he is right that the engine breathes a little better. Anyone that has one will tell you. Whether or not it adds power the engine revs slightly faster with it vs stock. This Helps with gear matching. When you have a 33 lb flywheel and the engine free revs so slow you can hold the pedal to floor before it even hits the redline its noticeable when the free rev is improved.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by topaz540i View Post
    Dyno results or not, peak hp increase or not he is right that the engine breathes a little better. Anyone that has one will tell you. Whether or not it adds power the engine revs slightly faster with it vs stock. This Helps with gear matching. When you have a 33 lb flywheel and the engine free revs so slow you can hold the pedal to floor before it even hits the redline its noticeable when the free rev is improved.
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hfYJsQAhl0[/ame]

Build Thread
    The chassis must always be regarded as a means to an end and never as an end itself

My Cars
    2001 BMW 530i
    Quote Originally Posted by Giancarlo976 View Post
    The two filters at the top are cabin air filters. You should replace them, not clean them out. Makes a world of difference.
    Ok Cool...I will definately do that. Appreciate it

My Cars
    '03 M-Sport 540iA

Get the one embedded with carbon, you'll thank me later.

My Cars
    2001 540i sport 6spd
    OK great i will assume you didnt actually read what i wrote because there is no way you would come to an idiotic video like that if you did. Unless of course you are a noob with no knowledge of how an engine works and what it actually uses the air for.

O and another thing, let me guess, your backseat driving on this one because you dont actually have a c.a.i. to give an actual experienced based response.

There are two camps here- those that hate them but dont actually have one so who knows what this hatred is actually based upon,
    And the rest of us that do have them and will say otherwise.

Its pretty clear that the only people who should be listened to here are the ones that actually use them so that you can get an actual educated response. For those of us that have them its pretty unanimous that we like them and what they do for the engine.
    There is nothing you can say to that. You either have one or you dont.
    ~2001 540i/6speed~
    Schmiedman M5 headers, SPEC stage2+ kevlar clutch, JBR 11lb lightweight flywheel, ESS Tuning m60 manifold software tune, 3" SS freeflow OBX catback, afe cold air intake, m60 intake manifold, Cdv delete, powerflex urethane sway bar bushings, M5 rear sway bar ,Autozone replacement driver side blinker light bulb, 545 short shifter zhp weighted, "dsc off" sticker, m5 3.15 lsd differential, m5 chassis rods, akebono ceramic pads, G2 caliper epoxy, ecs braided lines, BC-Racing br-plus series w/swift springs 8/6~
    On the night that I go back in time, you will be shot by terrorists. Please take whatever precautions are necessary to prevent this terrible disaster.

My Cars
    ferrari f40

Its pretty clear that the only people who should be listened to here are the ones that actually use them so that you can get an actual educated response. For those of us that have them its pretty unanimous that we like them and what they do for the engine.
    Amen.
    Thats why when i asked about performance coils i specifically asked for only people that have actual bought them to respond and my suspicions were confirmed that coils do nothing. Of course here the repsonses of actual owners is the opposite. I have yet to see one negative response from someone that has one. Even lalaray gives it a thumbs up lol
    Last edited by modkiller; 04-11-2012 at 08:09 PM.

My Cars
    2003 M5, 2014 535i
    OK great i will assume you didnt actually read what i wrote because there is no way you would come to an idiotic video like that if you did. Unless of course you are a noob with no knowledge of how an engine works and what it actually uses the air for.

O and another thing, let me guess, your backseat driving on this one because you dont actually have a c.a.i. to give an actual experienced based response.

There are two camps here- those that hate them but dont actually have one so who knows what this hatred is actually based upon,
    And the rest of us that do have them and will say otherwise.

I don't know much but I know what you posted makes no sense at all.

Build Thread

My Cars
    1998 540i
    if they running $250 there better be a increase in hp/airflow over stock lol.
    If it costs money it must be better!

I can make you one for $1000.

Page 1 of 12 1234567891011 ... LastLast