Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Father-son E36 M3 track car

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by gbreeE90 View Post
    Thanks! Your build looks great! Check mine out, ours are very similar.
    Thanks! I've been following you're build closely, looks great!

My Cars
    1989 325is Spec E30 #109
    Wish my dad gave a crap enough to DIY something with me. Instead he does this...

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeLenoch5 View Post
    Wish my dad gave a crap enough to DIY something with me. Instead he does this...[/IMG]
    I hope you get rides in that!

FYI for anyone installing the VAC floor pans, be careful when drilling mounting holes right in front of the gas pedal. I wasn't as careful as I should have been and hit a fuel line with the drill bit. Luckily it was a rubber line and an easy fix but lesson learned.
    Last edited by hoki06; 06-12-2012 at 11:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    I couldn't have asked for a better way to spend Father's Day weekend than at the track with Dad. We had a successful weekend at Summit Point for Hyperfest and put over 270 track miles on the car between the two of us and the car took it like a champ. It did develop an oil leak that we noticed when loading it on the trailer Sunday evening so we need to figure out where its coming from. It looks like it's near the back of the motor so it could possibly be a rear main, we'll see.

Some pictures and video

My best lap at 1:29 was my 3rd ever session on Hoosier R6s
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBOpFQLQ2Aw[/ame]

My Cars
    911, 95 M3

My Cars
    1997 Bmw M3 sedan
    nice going

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    It's been a while since I've updated this but not a whole lot has changed since this summer. We finally got Vorshlag camber plates installed and a fresh alignment. Current alignment specs are:

Front camber: -3.7 deg
    Front toe: 0.40 deg total
    Caster: 6.2 deg

Rear camber: -1.7 deg
    Rear toe: 0.40 deg total

Otherwise the car is unchanged. Dad's birthday was last week so what better way to celebrate than the NASA Fall Finale at Summit Point. The car was flawless all weekend even with multiple back to back 30+ min sessions. The track was pretty cold and slick Saturday but I enjoyed it because it presented a new challenge. Between the cold track and really old/high heat cycle Hoosiers, I was struggling to drive to the cars full ability because they were like ice on the rear and it wanted to step out the whole time through turns 6-7 mostly. Sunday the track was much better with the sun being out and some rubber put down on Saturday. I ended up cording a rear tire so our last sessions were spent back on street tires which I fully enjoyed. I had a great time sliding and drifting through the course which was a fun end to the weekend.

My gf rode with me for a couple sessions and she loved every second of it, especially when we were sliding around on the street tires. She's definitely a keeper.

Pictures from Finish Line Productions

We have a big list of maintenance and upgrades planned for this winter so I'll have more updates before too long. Here's a brief list of what we have planned, in order of priority.

Oil pump nump
    Replace all suspension bushings, front control arms, wheel bearings, diff bushings, ect.
    Oil cooler
    Oil temp, pressure, and water temp gauges
    Oil pan baffle
    Solid guides for the calipers and possibly rebuild them
    New brake lines
    Flush/replace all fluids

I probably forgot a couple things but that the majority of it. Looking forward to making more progress on it this winter!

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5, 2005 BMW M3
    Another Richmond racer! Great to see, and a great build! I may call upon Carlos to weld in my current bolt in four point!

--Peter

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Video of one of my faster laps the other weekend at Summit. A lot of room left for improvement and need to get more comfortable with the Hoosiers.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jUgyyHx4z_g&hd=1[/ame]

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Parts are arriving for the first stage of the winter upgrades

New front control arms

VAC oil pan baffle kit

Euro oil filter housing, Mocal 13 row cooler, and braided stainless lines with-10AN fittings

Last edited by hoki06; 11-19-2012 at 01:43 PM.

My Cars
    1995 BMW M3 Coupe
    awesome build! can't wait to see the progress made this winter!

Looking to do a similar build with my father in 2013. Cheers!

My Cars
    2001 540i E39
    Sounds like lots of fun! Would love to do something like this is the future when the opportunity arises. Subscribed!

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Vorshlag camber plates installed

Sparco 323 wheel installed with the Sparco adapter and Rouge Engineering quick disconnect

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    We dropped the car off with our trusty local mechanic Joe at Winchester Foreign and Domestic. He's going to tack the oil pump nut in place and weld in the VAC baffle while the pan is off. And when he puts it all back together he's going to replace the front control arms with Meyle HD ones that we ordered a little while back.

When I go home for a couple days around Christmas we are going to rebuild the calipers, replace the front wheel bearings, and make good headway on getting the oil cooler setup installed. Unfortunately updates and progress comes in small spurts since I live 2+ hours from my parents where the car is kept.
    Last edited by hoki06; 12-03-2012 at 07:23 PM.

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Oil pump nut has been welded and the VAC baffle was installed as well. New front control arms are also now installed.

Here's the official list of stuff we're ordering and installing when I go home for a couple days during Christmas.

-New factory OEM rubber brake lines
    -Rebuilding all the calipers with new seals and installing Speed Bleeders while they're broken down
    -Solid caliper guides
    -New front wheel bearing/hub assemblies
    -Swap the oil filter housing to the Euro E36 M3 housing
    -Install the oil cooler somewhere in front of the radiator
    -Possibly installing a Motion Motorsports aluminum underpanel if we have time

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Why OEM rubber lines? Why not grab some good quality steel braided lines from one of the trusted BMW performance part companies? Better pedal feel for the track!

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by jakermac View Post
    Why OEM rubber lines? Why not grab some good quality steel braided lines from one of the trusted BMW performance part companies? Better pedal feel for the track!
    I've read multiple threads on here with people arguing both sides of the OEM vs SS argument and the one thing that sticks in my head is that BMW designed the lines to work with this system and tested the hell out of it. I feel that as long as they are not old and are inspected frequently there is no problem using OEM lines. There are a lot of racers using them with frequent inspections and replacing them every season or two. Plus, how often do you hear of a stock brake line failing?

Here's the one thread I'm specifically thinkin about: http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ht=brake+lines

Now if we ever uprade to a BBK I'll probably get custom SS lines from somewhere like Essex (http://www.essexparts.com/shop/ss-br...ake-lines.html) but for now I trust the design of BMW engineers.

And I also believe that improved pedal feel from changing to SS lines is more of a myth or something you want to believe rather than actuality. Just my opinion though.

My Cars
    1993 325is
    Well as I have never driven a BMW with rubber lines, I can't comment on any improvement there (I bought my car with steel braided lines already installed), but my experience says that in the other cars I've driven/raced they all benefited from the change from good condition rubber lines to steel braided lines.

My Cars
    1997 bmw m3
    nice build so far

My Cars
    99 BMW E36 M3 AR Design
    Keep up the good work!

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Well work over the holiday didn't go as smoothly as we had hoped. We replaced the passenger front brake line with no issues but on the driver side the hard line fitting started to round off so we stopped. I accidentally tore one of the new outer caliper seals when putting the passenger front caliper back together so we only rebuilt that one for now. Solid brake guides are in both front calipers and new front sway bar end links are also installed. Since it was Christmas Eve and we started to get frustrated, we put the car back together so it's drive-able and enjoyed the holiday. Pictures will be coming soon of the work we did do.

On the plus side, I got a Traqmate for Christmas
    Last edited by hoki06; 12-27-2012 at 08:49 AM.

My Cars
    1995 M3 Coupe
    Nice build..... you are several months ahead of me but we are not too far apart. It looks like there are several similar builds going on here in the Richmond area. I tried to send you a PM/E-mail but could not connect..... I would love to take a look at what you have done so far and perhaps get a better look at Carlos' work as I am in the search for a cage/roll bar builder now. Feel free to e-mail me at mrothe1@aol.com

My Cars
    95 325i(Spec3), 95 Miata
    are those m3 control arms?
    if so how much did you pay? looking for a set myself.

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mrothe1 View Post
    Nice build..... you are several months ahead of me but we are not too far apart. It looks like there are several similar builds going on here in the Richmond area. I tried to send you a PM/E-mail but could not connect..... I would love to take a look at what you have done so far and perhaps get a better look at Carlos' work as I am in the search for a cage/roll bar builder now. Feel free to e-mail me at mrothe1@aol.com
    I'll send you an email this morning

Quote Originally Posted by 1SlowSpec3 View Post
    are those m3 control arms?
    if so how much did you pay? looking for a set myself.
    They are the E36 M3MZ3 '96+ Meyle HD arms from Bimmerworld
    http://store.bimmerworld.com/3-serie...arms-p236.aspx

Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast