Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Father-son E36 M3 track car

My Cars
    02 M3
    It's that bad huh? Local autoparts store has Moog bearings, ends up being $120 with coupon code, may give that a shot.

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    I'm sure it's perfectly fine for normal use but given the temps our brakes see, I think the Red Line grease is better for our use. If anything, now I know exactly what's in there and what temps it's designed for.

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Lots of parts going on before Hyperfest!

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    you going to run TTD, GTS2 or both? Inquiring minds want to know.

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alwaysinboost View Post
    you going to run TTD, GTS2 or both? Inquiring minds want to know.
    Both. It's a 170 lb difference between min weights so I'm working on an idea for quickly installing/removing ballast.

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    wow, thats a whole person! would it be easier to keep the weight and just mess with power via res. plates?

Im still on teh fence about making the trip down, but if there is going to be some competition there then that is my motivation.

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    wow, thats a whole person! would it be easier to keep the weight and just mess with power via res. plates?

Im still on teh fence about making the trip down, but if there is going to be some competition there then that is my motivation.
    I've contemplated that but that'll be my last option as I think my ballast solution will be easier if it all goes as planned. We've got plenty of lead and gym weights plus I can set TT min weight at 1/2 or 3/4 tank of gas to help.

I'm hoping we'll have a least 5 in TTD at Hyperfest, we'll see.
    Last edited by hoki06; 04-27-2016 at 01:14 PM.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Come down and help make me faster on Friday, then kick my ass Saturday and Sunday
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    Sounds like a plan. If i came down it would only be Sat-Sunday. I wouldn't mind sitting with you either day. Only problem is the fucked up TT/Instructor schedule. MA still doesn't get it...

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Sounds like a plan. If i came down it would only be Sat-Sunday. I wouldn't mind sitting with you either day. Only problem is the fucked up TT/Instructor schedule. MA still doesn't get it...
    Yeah... that's why I don't really instruct/TT now, especially at VIR. I did it once at VIR and swore to never do it again there. You basically get the warm up lap (upwards of 4-5 mins), one hot lap, and then come in the next time around so you can catch your student. The tires don't even get hot!

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    that's if you're lucky! usually for a 15min session it's a 5-8min warm up lap, one flyer @ 2:10ish, then you have to book it back around for another lap and pit in so you aren't late for your student.

any MA wonders why they have a hard time getting instructors...

My Cars
    SpecE46, 99LS/M3, 07GMC
    Quote Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post

I'm hoping we'll have a least 5 in TTD at Hyperfest, we'll see.
    More than that signed up for GTS2 already and we are missing a couple guys like Scott Blair, Dorrian Weave Jason Shippee and Wyatt Foster

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Spec3HOR View Post
    More than that signed up for GTS2 already and we are missing a couple guys like Scott Blair, Dorrian Weave Jason Shippee and Wyatt Foster
    That's what I like to hear! Hopefully I'll be a little more competitive this time around.

My Cars
    2003 350z
    How did the car make out? Saw you off during the TT session. I was in the TT3 Black 350z.

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by 03threefiftyz View Post
    How did the car make out? Saw you off during the TT session. I was in the TT3 Black 350z.
    Not good. I need to collect my thoughts and type out a story with pictures before too long but to put it shortly... we're currently shopping for a donor E36 coupe chassis

My Cars
    2003 350z
    Quote Originally Posted by hoki06 View Post
    Not good. I need to collect my thoughts and type out a story with pictures before too long but to put it shortly... we're currently shopping for a donor E36 coupe chassis
    Bummer. Looked pretty wedged in and given how wet the grass was the whole weekend, I imagine it was not a soft hit.

My Cars
    1998 BMW M3 Sedan
    Sorry to hear

Hopefully you are ok and made it out without any serious injuries.

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    As alluded to previously, Hyperfest was not kind to us this year. A spin in turn 3 at VIR plus some very wet grass led to a pretty solid impact with the outside tire wall. Luckily there were no injuries as the impact was mostly straight into the rear of the car which absorbed all of the energy and the safety equipment did it's job. A big thanks is owed to Brian Hair and the OG Racing team for always guiding us in proper safety gear selection and it paid off.

Pre-crash pictures from Chris at Finishline Productions

The aftermath

Metal was hitting the rear tire which made it no able to roll/drive so we did some quick clearancing with the truck and a tow strap

The only damage is the chassis, wing mounts, and exhaust but what is damaged on the chassis is significant. The damage appears to stop right before the critical rear suspension components such as subframe mounts and shocks. However pretty much ever piece of structure above and behind the rear subframe was hit including the bottoms of the shock towers having wrinkles/tears. After consulting a highly recommended local body shop run by someone who knows and understands race cars, many friends, our cage builder, and crunching numbers for multiple scenarios... we decided it was best (and probably slightly cheaper) to rebuild starting fresh with a new chassis.

We came very close to purchasing a couple different non-M E36 cars in various condition until I came across a local 1999 M3 that was listed at a decent price and pretty much exactly what we're looking for. We worked out a deal and picked it up the weekend before last. I've already sold a couple parts and the remaining parts will be sold as we prep the chassis. Pretty much every part from the silver car will transfer over and most of the current suspension on the black car will be spares.

The goal from the start will be a GTS2 car that will run in whatever TT class it will fall into, either TTC or TTB. We've learned a lot since we started this hobby over 5 years ago and while I loved the silver car and what it evolved into, I'm very excited to rebuild from a clean slate. I already have a 2 page list of things to do, some differently than the first time, so I want to take some extra time and do things a certain way. The goal is to build a fast, clean, reliable, easy to work on race car and have fun while building it with Dad. The current plan is to have the car ready for the first event of 2017 for a shakedown.

My Cars
    Spec3 & MCoupe
    Bummer about the car but glad your pops walked away unscathed. Good to meet you on Friday and hopefully I'll see you on track soon.

My Cars
    1997 BMW M3 NASA GTS2
    Let me know when the swap party is, my gloves are ready.
    2011 F-150 FX4 | 1997 BMW M3 #404 GTS2 | 2006 BMW M3 Convertible
    Out Motorsports

My Cars
    E36
    looking forward to part 2!

My Cars
    Many
    Good luck. First build was quite nice. Looking forward to seeing this one.

My Cars
    16' STI DD, 97' M3 Track
    I see you're located in Richmond, VA.. I'm up in Fredericksburg.

Any plans to attend events at the new track in Thronburg - Dominion Raceway?

I recently bought an E36 M3 sedan to turn into a track car. Going to make a build thread here shortly. Not as badass as your but we may get there over the next couple of years.

Message me if you're going to any events at Dominion. I will likely be there! would love to talk and get some advice and suggestions.

My Cars
    S52, 4g63, LS1
    glad you got a replacement. was hoping you'd be able to get it all back together before nats...

My Cars
    E82 128i, E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by OCRentAPopo View Post
    Bummer about the car but glad your pops walked away unscathed. Good to meet you on Friday and hopefully I'll see you on track soon.
    Nice meeting you too! We'll be back out there before too long.

Quote Originally Posted by Brake_L8 View Post
    Let me know when the swap party is, my gloves are ready.
    Absolutely!

Quote Originally Posted by bmw328m52 View Post
    looking forward to part 2!
    Quote Originally Posted by darbyfam View Post
    Good luck. First build was quite nice. Looking forward to seeing this one.
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by GG Emerican View Post
    I see you're located in Richmond, VA.. I'm up in Fredericksburg.

Any plans to attend events at the new track in Thronburg - Dominion Raceway?

I recently bought an E36 M3 sedan to turn into a track car. Going to make a build thread here shortly. Not as badass as your but we may get there over the next couple of years.

Message me if you're going to any events at Dominion. I will likely be there! would love to talk and get some advice and suggestions.
    I might go hang out for the July NASA event if it actually happens. I won't be driving but I want to check out the track and watch friends race at a minimum.

glad you got a replacement. was hoping you'd be able to get it all back together before nats...
    Honestly, Nats was probably not going to happen either way. I was planning on slowing down a little for the latter half of this season so I can hit my goal of buying a house next year. As much as I'd love to do Nats, it's a big financial commitment especially considering I've never drive WGI before and I would want a practice event beforehand to be competitive. There's a chance I might show up to help Felton in some capacity if he needs it.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718 LastLast