Autogeek.net Car Care Products
** 10% off @ Autogeek.net - PinnacleWax.com & Wolfgangcarcare.com - Coupon Code = clubmember

Thread: Drying car with leaf blower and hard water

My Cars
    2006 e46 M3 Comp Pkg

Drying car with leaf blower and hard water

I live in a condo where the water is hard. If I dry my car with a leaf blower will that leave the minerals behind? Thanks, Paul

My Cars
    99LR, 00M Coupe, 12 650i
    mmm good question I would say yes because your technically just pushing the water around... it will leave spots. always better to hand dry in my opinion.

HIGH FIVE FOR LAZINESS THOUGH

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    But then, if you blow the water off, what's left to spot?
    If your car has a good lsp still on it, the water will just blow right off.
    If your car has no lsp on it, the water will be a pain in the neck to blow off.

Here's a remedy not involving blow drying:
    Duragloss Aqua Wax.
    When your car is wet with your final rinse, spritz a section with Aqua Wax. Notice the name? The Aqua part is because it works with that residual water.
    Take a microfiber towel and dry that panel. Spritz the next and repeat until the car is dry.

No spotting and an extra gloss. Win-win.
    -John C.

My Cars
    99LR, 00M Coupe, 12 650i
    technically all your really doing is pushin the water around to a thinner level so that it air dries faster to warm air contact. It is the same system as a drive through car wash. Many of the Auto dry systems at car washes blow forced warm air. This pushes the water to less then a 1mm layer of water while the warmth of the Air dries. It is not pushing 100% of the water off your lucky if you actually remove 50% of the water off before it dried.

The leaf blower will get some of it off but you will still have substantial water spotting with the hard water.

Hand drying is still the best way to go.

Gl...

My Cars
    2006 e46 M3 Comp Pkg
    Thanks guys. One of the water stations near by is old and I think that's why the hard water. I'm using a sediment filter but once the water dries, there is still some minerals left behind. I dropped a bit of water on some glass and left it overnight and the outline of the water drop was visible.

What is a really good filter that will give me relatively "pure" water? Thanks

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    This is a really good filter system. Car guys swear by it:

http://crspotless.com/

A bit pricey though,

My Cars
    01 Z3 2.5I

Cool

Leaf blowers are great for wheels, tires and seams, but to prevent spotting I use a waffle style mf towel on the windows, then the roof, then the hood and trunk.......then I let the blower do it's thing..........

My Cars
    1997 M3 Hellrot(Red)
    I never even thought of using a leaf blower. Awesome Id use it just to piss off my neighbors. Fuck the HOA!!!

For the record I use a Chamois and a sham-wow type towel to dry. But I think im gonna shop craigslist for the most obnoxious leaf blower I can find. Bam.

My Cars
    1997 M3 Hellrot(Red)
    I never even thought of using a leaf blower. Awesome Id use it just to piss off my neighbors. Fuck the HOA!!!

For the record I use a Chamois and a sham-wow type towel to dry. But I think im gonna shop craigslist for the most obnoxious leaf blower I can find. Bam.

My Cars
    99 M Coupe
    ^^^ Tell us how you really feel about the neighbour.

The leaf blowers work really well and normally I'll steer guys towards an electric model but I'm thinking you'll want to look at one of those really big Stihl backpack models. Huge power, huge volume, and to really impress those neighbours, get a crescent wrench and take off the muffler.

Then wet your car down really good and just let her rip. Oh, park your wet car close by the property line too. Actually pointing the blower at your wet car would be optional of course. Just let her rip.

Edit: When they complain about the noise, say stuff like 'it's second hand' and 'it came that way' and 'yeah, it does seem a tad noisy now that you mention it - I'll have it looked at. My brother's sister-in-law's cousin over in Beaverton lives next door to a mechanic and he knows all about this stuff.'

-John C.
    Last edited by JohnZ3MC; 04-10-2012 at 01:33 AM.

My Cars
    98' M3/4/5, 85' 944
    I have an electric blower and a husqvarna gas blower. The electric blower is way faster and puts out a lot more air. The gas gets used all the time cause its way more convenient i dont have to pull out extension cords. Plus something about using electricity while standing in water.......