Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Won't go in gear while running but will when off

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI

Which throw out bearing swivel or not?

The kit I bought off ebay came with a throwout bearing but was wary not knowing the brand. I decided to purchase a Timken TOB and pilot bearing. Comparing the two different brands I noticed the Timken had no swivel play while the one with the kit had lots of play and moved relatively easy.

My question is should the Throwout Bearing swivel easy? Should I return the Timken?

I found a link stating a used TOB won't swivel and new one will.

http://tis.spaghetticoder.org/s/view.pl?1/08/62/62

My Cars
    2002 BMW 330CI
    Well I would like to update:

Managed to get everything back together. Hardest part was getting the starter back on. Clutch is now good 100%. Can't wait for the break in period so I can really give it a try. Now I just have to find someone to weld my exhaust back on lol...

Oh btw I was driving and hear a big loud clunk when I hit a michigan turn around. I looked back and it was a prybar that I used to get the starter off. My buddy was behind me driving and was cracking up as it skid across the intersection.

My Cars
    '99 M3, '14 X1, '15 M3
    I had a similar issue with my 1999 BMW M3 (E36) where it all of the sudden would not let any gear in while running after working just fine 5 minutes ago. I went shopping and parked the car everything was fine, came back 10 minutes later and started the car and could not get into any gears, I then shut down then car, and was able to get into all the gears just fine, so I had no choice but to drive the car back home in 1st gear.

Then I consulted with few friends and mechanics, they suggested that I would pump the clutch pedal 15-20 times to get the air out of the hydralics (while the car is not running), so I did and everything was back to normal. I am now able to easily go into any gear!

I was worried that I would need to pull the transmission but its all good! However, I now do need to figure out there the air comes into the system, and possibly bleed the system and/or start replacing slave cylinder. But I am very happy!

I thought I would post what happened to me so it may help others before pulling the transmission, often times, people are looking for suggestion and never come back to report back what really happened and what helped them.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12