Thread: DISA repair kit?

My Cars
    2012 X5

DISA repair kit?

Good day, I ordered two DISA repair kits from German Auto Solutions to eliminate any posibility of such valve failure in the future. I have a 04 325i & 03 530i. In their webside it calls for the same part number for both cars... well, I got them yesterday evening and went ahead to start working on the e46 first. Once I took the old valve from the car and cleaned up everything, I noticed that the valve flapper valve on the kit is longer than the one that came out of the car. I have never done or seen one of these valves before and I am just wondering if my car has the wrond DISA valve installed or if there was a mistake while ordering them. The repair kit seems to be of excellent quality and its very well constructed, I need to have them installed to avoid any failure of these things in the future. I have not removed the one on the e39 yet, that will happen this evening and see how it goes. Is there a difference on the valves? I bought both cars used and I have no idea of this, could the valve be the wrong one on the 325? I included two photos of the flapper in here to see the difference on them. Any help with this will be appreciated, thanks, Dave.,
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Dave as far as I know they are all the same for the M54s. So if both flappers look the same when comparing the new ones then you should have received the correct ones.

On the bottom of their page has the PN that should be on the outside of your DISA...cross reference to yours and compare.
    http://germanautosolutions.com/DISA_...epair_Kit.html

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Most likely....that longer one isn't going to fit...

by Dane Wilson, on Flickr

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    My thoughts:
    1) According to RealOEM, the 3-liter M54 engine has a different part number for the DISA than the 2.5-liter. The 3-liter part number is 11617502275 (before 4/2004) and 11617544805 (after 4/2004); and the 2.5-liter is 11617502269 (before 4/2004) and 11617544806 (after 4/2004).

2) Based on anecdotal evidence (i.e. lots of threads about it here on BFC, and my own personal experience), the DISA in the 3-liter engine seems MUCH more prone to failure than the one in the 2.5-liter.

3) Many other intake parts are different between the 3-liter and the 2.5-liter. We know that the MAF and intake boots are different; the MAF in the 3-liter is half an inch fatter. So it stands to reason that other intake parts in the 3-liter will also be larger than in the 2.5-liter, including the DISA.

I have a busted DISA in my garage from when I helped a friend replace hers (also in a 330i, model year 2004 so it would be before the update). And I think mine is broke too, based on the rattling noises and my intermittent lean codes, but I haven't removed it to inspect. I'll take a look at the broken one on my shelf and see how it looks - if I recall correctly, it looks like the flap on the left in your photos.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Oh crap...I missed it. It occurred to me after reading Dane's and Nathan's posts while having my morning caffeine that there is a 2.5L version and a 3.0L version.

You were shipped both 3.0L versions would be my best guess...

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    Oh crap...I missed it. It occurred to me after reading Dane's and Nathan's posts while having my morning caffeine that there is a 2.5L version and a 3.0L version.

You were shipped both 3.0L versions would be my best guess...
    Yup.

Makes sense.....intake is different as well. 2.5" vice 3".

My Cars
    2012 X5

Disa

Thanks for the responses guys. It was my mistake, they are different parts for the 3.0L & 2.5L. My mistake was when reading the add, it stated that they have them for all those models, and me assuming that they were all the same, ordered two for the 3.0L. But I contacted them and they will exchange one of them for the correct one, just got to pay shipping, not bad after all, since it was my mistake.... Thanks for the help guys, just remember that order the ones for the specific car/engine the next time....

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Good news. Go ahead and provide link to the provider of the DISA repair kit.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Good news. Go ahead and provide link to the provider of the DISA repair kit.
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate View Post
    Bam!

My Cars
    01' 330CI 6MT / 00' 540i
    Uhm... At $82 price (shipped) it makes little to no sense of hassle. I'd just order a brand new one from www.thebmwpartstore.com for $173.33 and be done with it.

nathancarter is offline Stretch Haters Club #1 BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2002 330i 131k
    But the new one is subject to the same design flaw as the broken original. The repair kit fixes the flawed design.

My Cars
    2004 ZHP 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by SexualChocolate

Bam!
    Ha! Did not know the link you provided was where he got his.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by danewilson77 View Post
    Ha! Did not know the link you provided was where he got his.

Sent from my Thunderbolt using BF.com
    Sometimes I am on my game...lately not so much

My Cars
    2012 X5

Disa

Sorry for being late, was out aqnd about.. That is the link where I got them from, but somehow the price was a tad cheaper at 79... not a huge difference but there it is. Like nathancarter stated, this one fixes the desing problem of the original, I also thought ot just getting a new one, but just to get back into the possibility of having the same issue sometime in the future... I decided against it. This kit provides the flapper valve made of some sort of metal (aluminum?) that it feels much better than the original platic one, plus that holding screw that goes all the way thru the valve flapper to hold it in place, it just a much better design than the original one. Thanks for the replies guys.

My Cars
    E36 M3, E39 M5, C4S, 8V.
    Quote Originally Posted by playero View Post
    Sorry for being late, was out aqnd about.. That is the link where I got them from, but somehow the price was a tad cheaper at 79... not a huge difference but there it is. Like nathancarter stated, this one fixes the desing problem of the original, I also thought ot just getting a new one, but just to get back into the possibility of having the same issue sometime in the future... I decided against it. This kit provides the flapper valve made of some sort of metal (aluminum?) that it feels much better than the original platic one, plus that holding screw that goes all the way thru the valve flapper to hold it in place, it just a much better design than the original one. Thanks for the replies guys.
    He has a thread somewhere that states that at 75 he is not going to be making much on each unit, so eventually the price will creep up if the volume sales are not there to keep the company afloat and parts available.

My Cars
    1995 540I and 525I

Disa Repair kit

Quote Originally Posted by playero View Post
    Good day, I ordered two DISA repair kits from German Auto Solutions to eliminate any posibility of such valve failure in the future. I have a 04 325i & 03 530i. In their webside it calls for the same part number for both cars... well, I got them yesterday evening and went ahead to start working on the e46 first. Once I took the old valve from the car and cleaned up everything, I noticed that the valve flapper valve on the kit is longer than the one that came out of the car. I have never done or seen one of these valves before and I am just wondering if my car has the wrond DISA valve installed or if there was a mistake while ordering them. The repair kit seems to be of excellent quality and its very well constructed, I need to have them installed to avoid any failure of these things in the future. I have not removed the one on the e39 yet, that will happen this evening and see how it goes. Is there a difference on the valves? I bought both cars used and I have no idea of this, could the valve be the wrong one on the 325? I included two photos of the flapper in here to see the difference on them. Any help with this will be appreciated, thanks, Dave.,
    I didn't order mine from German Auto because they only ship via USPS and I needed mine shipped overnight which they couldn't and flat refused to do.
    I ordered mine from BestOfParts.com, I like their kit especially seeing that they don't use plastic parts they use aluminum so there should be no fatigue from heat and oil as you'll get with plastic.
    Price was close to the same, maybe a few bucks more but a very nice kit.
    I'm from MI and my 530 puked when I got to GA, went to turn at an intersection and had no brakes, engine died and when I refired the motor it began back firing and stumble unless I kept the revs up.
    I pulled the codes and there were 23, ranging from misfires, rich conditions, maf shorted to ground, etc.
    I limped it to my sons house where I could look at it in the morning and low and behold the crank for the butterfly was missing leaving a hole causing a massive vac leak.
    Luckily the pin was still attached to the butterfly valve, whew.
    Just to be sure I troubleshot it by unplugging the maf so the vehicle would start, fired up the motor, plugged the hole with my finger and the engine smoothed right out, plugged in the maf and it ran like it should.
    Called German Auto, they wouldn't ship fedex P1 overnight so I called BestOfParts.com and they got it out that day for fedex P1 overnight before noon.
    Took about 5 minutes to repair the DISA and get it back in the vehicle.
    Drove the 735 miles from Helen, GA to Flushing, MI with absolutely no problems.

Both German and Best Of stipulate their kits only work on the factory DISA and not on a DISA from sources like URO Parts.

Hope this helps someone in the future if you are chasing down a back fire problem.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    My DISA failed a vacuum check so I just ordered a new one for $195 delivered. Sale ends tomorrow!

OEM: https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/327...e-11617544806/ <--- add the coupon JULY4TH for another 10% discount - and the shipping is free too!

I thought of just getting a repair kit but none of them included a diaphragm, which I gather you cannot replace anyway.
    Last edited by All2kool; 07-03-2017 at 03:33 PM.

My Cars
    325e 535i M5 325iT 330i
    OK, why do you think the engineers put plastic parts in there? For cost only? Where do the parts go if they fail? Right through the engine. Now would you rather have metal or plastic bits blowing past the valves and rattling around inside the cylinders? I'll replace mine with plastic parts periodically, thank you.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson42 View Post
    OK, why do you think the engineers put plastic parts in there? For cost only? Where do the parts go if they fail? Right through the engine. Now would you rather have metal or plastic bits blowing past the valves and rattling around inside the cylinders? I'll replace mine with plastic parts periodically, thank you.
    If individual plastic replacement parts are available I would consider it. I agree with your logic a little. Unfortunately I think this is more of a case of "designed obsolecenance". Here's my thinking on the subject. I have no facts to back this up. BMW engineers design a lot of their parts to last the life of the car. Only problem is they consider the life of the car to be 100,000 miles more or less. After that and I don't think they really care. If you have the financial means to buy a new BmW then you're already into a new one way before that 100,000 mark. Those are the people they are catering to. Not guys looking to pick up a 18 year old car for $2-3k. So I don't think it's a case of make sure it's plastic so it doesn't grenade the engine. I think it's a case of this plastic part will work just as good as a metal part at a fraction of the cost given our life expectancy requirements.

Someone came up with a metal repair part that appears to work very well. I haven't heard of any failures.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by NervoS View Post
    Uhm... At $82 price (shipped) it makes little to no sense of hassle. I'd just order a brand new one from www.thebmwpartstore.com for $173.33 and be done with it.
    That link DOES NOT go to the The BMW/MINI Part Store.

My Cars
    2002 325Ci Cabriolet
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackson42 View Post
    I also agree here. BMW did this for a reason and I think its best to not question the decision. My DISA is being replaced with an OEM unit. Some parts should always be BMW Genuine.