Thread: Engine Rev. drops very slowly

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3

Engine Rev. drops very slowly

This has been bothering me for quite some time.
    When changing gear at lower RPMs, the Tachometer needle drops very slowly.
    Say I push into 1st gear when starting out, at 2K RPM I depress the clutch and push into 2nd gear but leave the clutch depressed. I have to wait till the tach to drop to a little bit more than 1K RPM to make a smooth transition. From 2K -> 1K RPM it takes couple of seconds, which is way too slow as compared to other manual cars I've driven ('95 Ford Probe GT, '89 Mazda RX-7). but at higher RPM levels above 3000RPM, the tach moves pretty quick though.

Anyone has anything sharing?

My Cars
    DASC 318ti
    the flywheel is 27Lbs in your car... bmw makes it so heavy for that luxury slow rev... i changed out and put in a 10LB fidanza flywheel and my car revs up and down super fast now.
    BoostJunky Patient #111
    ///No-Coast///

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    "luxury slow rev"? Keeps me wondering why slow rev is "luxury". Damned. So is it easy to do the flywheel? I mean DIY.

My Cars
    '01 M5,'95 325is,'82 320
    DIY... yes... easy... hell no.

It requires removal of the exhaust, driveshaft, TRANSMISSION, and then the pressure plate, clutch, and finally the flywheel can go.

Unless you are a bit of a garage mechanic, its not a job I would recommend heavilly.

Steve

My Cars
    DASC 318ti
    i dont know someone just told me that it was for luxury ... to make the car feel smoother or something.

flywheel is just like changing a clutch. or something you would do with a clutch...
    BoostJunky Patient #111
    ///No-Coast///

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    All right, so this is something I'll have to live with. Just checked the price for the LTW flywheel. Oh, My! I'm currently saving money for suspension while waiting my stock suspension to be toasted naturally. It has 81K already.

My Cars
    '01 M5,'95 325is,'82 320
    81k? Its probably already toasted naturally... these suspensions last around 60-80k... what suspension you looking into?

Steve

My Cars
    96 328is, 99 540i
    My car has 108k and the suspension is pretty good, it doesn't bounce up and down just returns to it's resting spot.

Anyways it almost sounds like maybe your clutch is slipping?

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    But my suspension feels perfectly right. I did the hard acceleration and hard braking test and the suspension is very fine. I also autox it once and no clunking or any other suspension noises. The previous owner is a cute college girl for the first 72k miles and she said 90% of the mileage are spent on highways visiting her family. So I'm just waiting patiently.

Suspension I'm looking at are:
    If I lack money at the time, I'll go for the H&R cup kit.
    If I have more than a grand available, I'll go for the GC as recommended by you Steve.

My Cars
    97 vette / 94 318i
    I had this trouble and was able to fix it. When I first got my 318i, a couple months ago it would studder when I started it in cold weather so I opened up the hood to take a look at the wire that controls the throttle. I chose to loosen the plastic holder of the throttle wire to make it rev higher at idle but after driving it I had the problem you have where when driving it it took a while to rev dow with the clutch fully pressed in. so I went back under the hood and tightened the throttle wire to lower the idle rpm just slightly but still more than when I started this testing and it runs great now. so you may want to try adjusting the throttle wire, driving it and adjusting again until its running how it should. no tools needed and would take an hour or so. Hope this helps! I think the throttlebodies spring get old and isnt quite as accurate so it requires more prescise tuning
    M42 Club member #109 126 RWHP 6k rpm/113 RWTQ 4700rpm

My Cars
    2005 X5 4.4is
    My car has stock flywheel and it revs REALLY quick. I have to practice my heel and toe to keep the revs where I want them.

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    Originally posted by zeit00
    My car has stock flywheel and it revs REALLY quick. I have to practice my heel and toe to keep the revs where I want them.
    Heel and toe will not help in my situation. My problem is that the needle drops way too slow and you can do nothing about it but waiting.

Vettman21: I'll try doing that and see. Thanks for the hint!

My Cars
    DASC 318ti
    if your stock flywheel is revving really quick... then you would think a lightweight flywheel is too fast. When i installed my flywheel i had to relearn how to drive my car.... it revs down so fast that its hard to shift effectively without a short shifter in daily driving situations where im not trying to shift fast as a ninja.
    BoostJunky Patient #111
    ///No-Coast///

My Cars
    '06 X3.0i
    sounds like a sticking throttle to me.
    The VP of Clean
    Let's go a a##hat huntin'

My Cars
    96' BMW 318IS 2 Dr.
    I will have to try adjusting the throttle cable to see what I can dig out

My Cars
    '01 M5,'95 325is,'82 320
    Yeah, I also put a nod towards the throttle, I've never had any problem with my rev-speed. Plenty quick to allow crisp heal-toes and fast fast upshifts...

Steve

My Cars
    96' BMW 318IS 2 Dr.
    by nod do you mean just a small clip to hold it in place at the setting?