RM European Auto Parts

Thread: Clutch Issue (disc installed backwards?)

My Cars
    72 2002 99 M3T

Clutch Issue (disc installed backwards?)

So my car is at a shop right now to get the clutch replaced. The clutch I got was an F1 Racing Stage 3(6 puck sprung disc) with 10.5lb flywheel. The shop installed it and it idled fine for 30 seconds and then the motor turned off by itself and something seized. Car wouldn't turn over anymore. They thought the starter might have gotten stuck somehow so they took the starter out and put it back in... same problem. I'm fairly certain the clutch disc was installed backwards. Anyone had this issue? They are currently trying to take the transmission back out but it's stuck in there. I've talked to one person who's fairly knowledgeable on the subject and said that when the disc is installed backwards the hub rubs on the pressure plate and eventually the heat causes the disc, the PP and the input shaft of the transmission to get welded together. Any suggestions?

EDIT:
    Found a few threads that seem to talk about the same issue:
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...ghlight=clutch

Also PMed another member that had a similar issue but never posted the results. Overall it's not looking good
    Last edited by stupenduzzman; 03-27-2012 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Past:
    1974 2002, 1989 325is, 1998 M3/4/5, 2001 740i, 1970 2002 Current: 1972 2002, 1999 M3 Turbo, 1992 Miata chumpcar

My Cars
    72 2002 99 M3T
    Update: The disc was indeed installed backwards but when they tried taking the transmission off it was stuck. They ended up drilling a hole in my bellhousing to get it off Supposedly nothing was broken anywhere so they reassembled it all the correct way and gave it back to me. Several problems I have noticed now: The clutch does not fully disengage, I get stonewalled at a standstill in all gear and the car starts creeping forwards when in gear and the clutch pedal is pushed in. This would be resolved by bleeding it right? Was told it was already bled. Second, there is a chatter from the transmission. Sounds very similar to that of an LTW flywheel, which the car now has but the noise persists in neutral regardless of where the clutch pedal is. Is this normal? (My friend has an LTW flywheel but his only chatters in neutral with the clutch pedal out)
    Last edited by stupenduzzman; 04-02-2012 at 04:31 AM.

Past:
    1974 2002, 1989 325is, 1998 M3/4/5, 2001 740i, 1970 2002 Current: 1972 2002, 1999 M3 Turbo, 1992 Miata chumpcar

My Cars
    Avus e30(sold), '95 Avus
    First of all I would be raising hell if anybody that I was paying money to install parts had to drill a hole in my bell housing because they messed up. I also would have never taken the car back with the engagement problem that you are having.

As far as the chattering, I think the amount of noise can vary from vehicle to vehicle. I've been in cars with the exact same aftermarket clutch/flywheel set up, one rattled like hell, the other was barely noticable.
    Other possibilities are damage to the pilot bearing or throw out bearing from the faulty install.

As far as the clutch not fully disengaging.

I assume that the aftermarket PP is not self adjusting. That said, I suspect the release fork or the push rod on the slave may have been damaged/bent at some point. This is sometimes barely noticable, but just a small bend can cause cause the issue you are describing.

At any rate I would take the car back and have them take a look at it.
    Level 1 Certified BMW Technician

My Cars
    E39M5, E500 4WD
    Yeah, the whole job smells like crap, and I suspect there's something still seriously wrong with the install - or the parts. If they had to drill a hole in the bellhousing to get the trans back out, I expect there's something very damaged.

Chris Powell
    Racer and Instructor since, well. decades, ok?
    Master Auto Tech, owner of German Motors of Aberdeen
    BMWCCA 274412
    German Motors is hiring ! https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/s...1#post30831471