Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: e60 550i supercharged

My Cars
    e60
    Quote Originally Posted by Denise85 View Post
    bump to see more info and pics on this supercharged 550
    I don't have any photos yet, but here is a video from the other day:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PLFHhhx3-M[/ame]

Oh wait, nevermind. Forgot there are some photos on photobucket. Here are some random photos taken over the past few years:

http://s1229.photobucket.com/albums/ee466/twintiptao/

Cheers.
    Last edited by kernelmaker; 04-24-2012 at 03:17 AM.

My Cars
    hybrid
    this thread is awesome

4.8iS watching here..
    Alpha-N ///M - Youtube

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelmaker View Post
    I don't have any photos yet, but here is a video from the other day:
    The screen shot of the dyno was missing. What are the results?

My Cars
    e36 323is
    Love the pictures!

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Nice to find the resolution!

I didn't even think about the restrictive exhaust. Even still, I didn't think it would lose that much pressure at 7psi.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    e36 323is
    Question... Even with the lower boost numbers, are you making the same power as the kit is supposed to make? Or are you going to need the smaller pulley to make the same power/torque? I would think SS catless headers would give massive power gains with the supercharger

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by JeffroGymnast
    Question... Even with the lower boost numbers, are you making the same power as the kit is supposed to make? Or are you going to need the smaller pulley to make the same power/torque? I would think SS catless headers would give massive power gains with the supercharger
    Great question!
    He should making more power without the restriction.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    e36 323is
    Does the tune touch valve timing at all? maybe some of the boost is going out through valve overlap... this would make sense with the high-flowing exhaust

My Cars
    95 M3, 92 325is, 4runner
    Maybe a stupid question, but where are you tapping for the boost reading? The ts2 unit itself?

My Cars
    e60
    Quote Originally Posted by pbonsalb View Post
    The screen shot of the dyno was missing. What are the results?

Quote Originally Posted by JeffroGymnast View Post
    Sort of. Making an additional 96 whp. The kit does +100 whp on a factory configured N62B48. The interesting thing is that we made the +96 whp on only ~4PSI, which is not near the rated 6.5-7PSI that the kit was intended to deliver. You'd have thought that the headers would give massive power gains, right? Ends up they reduced manifold pressure. Plan on solving that with these:

Not sure what sort of boost we'll end up with by reducing the size, so ended up getting a couple pulleys so we could do some experimenting.

Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Great question!
    He should making more power without the restriction.
    Yeah, you'd have thought.

Quote Originally Posted by JeffroGymnast View Post
    Does the tune touch valve timing at all? maybe some of the boost is going out through valve overlap... this would make sense with the high-flowing exhaust
    Perhaps, but can't say for sure. ESS did the tuning on this car. They keep their secrets in-house..

Quote Originally Posted by n0te1oner View Post
    Maybe a stupid question, but where are you tapping for the boost reading? The ts2 unit itself?
    The magnuson supercharger has a nipple on the manifold. It is directly after the blower, before air gets pushed into the cylinder heads. We ran two different boost guages. Both had similar results.
    Last edited by kernelmaker; 04-25-2012 at 08:12 AM.

My Cars
    skateboard
    Can't wait to see it at 7psi. Thats a nice table top torque curve. Now if they would make a kit like this for the e39 m5.
    “If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear.”
    ― George Orwell

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    That is great power -- a nice 1/3 bump over stock and should make the 550i a lot of fun.
    Last edited by pbonsalb; 04-25-2012 at 03:50 PM.

My Cars
    '91 e34 535 Twin Screw'd
    Nice Car, I bet that's fun to cruise around in.

That's an Eaton TVS not a twin screw btw (most people wouldn't notice the difference but we supercharger nerds are picky)

BRENDAN - Put a SOHC in it!

My Cars
    e36 323is
    That torque curve is SEXY. Can't wait for results with the new pullies

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Nice! Can you post the dyno with RPM's instead of wheel speed?

My Cars
    e60
    Quote Originally Posted by five&dime View Post
    Nice! Can you post the dyno with RPM's instead of wheel speed?
    Here ya go:

My Cars
    E63AMG/Z31/Tacoma/F31
    Thanks. That thing is going to be a blast when you get the boost up a bit. Just watched the video at home and it sounds wicked.

My Cars
    Bavarian Muscle Car
    Quote Originally Posted by 5mall5nail5 View Post
    Hm I would expect a TS unit to produce boost much sooner than that. because the boost wanders a bit I suspect the belt may be slipping some.
    You suspect anything that is S/C related. And FTW, your rolls are freshman.
    Vortech V2Ti Rebello Racing M62 4.9L E34. Not a race car, but a fun car.

[IMG][/IMG]

My Cars
    hybrid
    Any updates with the smaller pulley?
    Alpha-N ///M - Youtube

My Cars
    e60
    Quote Originally Posted by OnUrleft View Post
    Any updates with the smaller pulley?
    My girlfriend and I tossed the pulley in this past weekend. Took us about 30 minutes as it was our first time ever replacing a supercharger pulley. The pulley we took off was a 3.2" pulley. The pulley we replaced it with is a 3.0" pulley. We even installed a 3/8" shorter drive belt. The tensioner was pretty darn tight with the new/shorter belt. Car fired up just fine with the shorter belt and new pulley, and you could even hear a little whine from the supercharger that wasn't as distinguished with the 3.2" pulley.

At first I was a little careful driving the car around not knowing how much boost was being pushed into the factory bottom end. Managed to borrow a boost guage and popped it on to the manifold for a quick couple tests. The boost guage jumped up to around 7PSI at full throttle. That's about a 3PSI gain.

The car is a pleasure to drive. The car pulls so much harder now. It basically feels like the supercharger got supercharged...it's crazy. I'm still trying to wrap my senses around it.

Doing research on water/meth kits now. Does anybody have a kit they are in love with? What kits should I be looking and and what kits should I avoid? Thanks in advance guys.
    Last edited by kernelmaker; 05-02-2012 at 02:30 AM.

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelmaker View Post
    My girlfriend and I tossed the pulley in this past weekend. Took us about 30 minutes as it was our first time ever replacing a supercharger pulley. The pulley we took off was a 3.2" pulley. The pulley we replaced it with is a 3.0" pulley. We even installed a 3/8" shorter drive belt. The tensioner was pretty darn tight with the new/shorter belt. Car fired up just fine with the shorter belt and new pulley, and you could even hear a little whine from the supercharger that wasn't as distinguished with the 3.2" pulley.

At first I was a little careful driving the car around not knowing how much boost was being pushed into the factory bottom end. Managed to borrow a boost guage and popped it on to the manifold for a quick couple tests. The boost guage jumped up to around 7PSI at full throttle. That's about a 3PSI gain.

The car is a pleasure to drive. The car pulls so much harder now. It basically feels like the supercharger got supercharged...it's crazy. I'm still trying to wrap my senses around it.

Doing research on water/meth kits now. Does anybody have a kit they are in love with? What kits should I be looking and and what kits should I avoid? Thanks in advance guys.

Please re-dyno!!

Especially since it's good idea to make sure the car is not running lean with the extra air and better (free) flowing exhaust.
    BTW, do you have a wideband.
    I don't really think it is good to run "blind" on any FI setup. You are basically playing with fire not having a wideband. Crap happens. You don't really need aboost gauge, but they are fun to watch. Well, a boost gauge can tell if you have a vac/boost leak, so I like them.

If you install a W/M kit, you should be able to bump up the boost. Either way, ESS kits typically see good gains with a W/M kit because the factory DME adjusts for the cooler/denser air (adds more timing).
    Last edited by BadBoostedBmwM3; 05-02-2012 at 01:19 PM.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    e60
    Quote Originally Posted by BadBoostedBmwM3 View Post
    Please re-dyno!!

Especially since it's good idea to make sure the car is not running lean with the extra air and better (free) flowing exhaust.
    BTW, do you have a wideband.
    I don't really think it is good to run "blind" on any FI setup. You are basically playing with fire not having a wideband. Crap happens. You don't really need aboost gauge, but they are fun to watch. Well, a boost gauge can tell if you have a vac/boost leak, so I like them.

If you install a W/M kit, you should be able to bump up the boost. Either way, ESS kits typically see good gains with a W/M kit because the factory DME adjusts for the cooler/denser air (adds more timing).
    Crap, you're right. To top it off, I red-lined the car 6 or 7 times over the period of the 100 miles that the shorter pulley has been on the car.

Just sent my shop an email. Hopefully they can get me on the dyno tomorrow. What do you think the chances are that I leaned the car out with the shorter pulley?...

ESS claims that the kit is safe with the 3.0" pulley that I just got done installing. They also advertise the kit as a 7PSI kit. The only thing they do not state is compatibility with the supersprint headers or full exhaust.
    Last edited by kernelmaker; 05-03-2012 at 12:11 AM.

My Cars
    E90 335 Msport / E70 X5D
    Looks good! I bet the car feels great at 7psi!

Did you hear any detonation while it was going to redline? I highly doubt you damaged anything if the car is still driving fine. I would recommend bringing it to the dyno and hooking a wideband up to it to see where your AFR's are.
    11 335i M Sport MT - VTT stage 2 DBB : JB4 stg 2 Backend flash + E85 + TBI : FBO : M3 suspension : Performance Diffuser, Sideskirts, Splitters : M3 mirrors

My Cars
    turbo m3
    Quote Originally Posted by kernelmaker
    Crap, you're right. To top it off, I red-lined the car 6 or 7 times over the period of the 100 miles that the shorter pulley has been on the car.

Just sent my shop an email. Hopefully they can get me on the dyno tomorrow. What do you think the chances are that I leaned the car out with the shorter pulley?...

ESS claims that the kit is safe with the 3.0" pulley that I just got done installing. They also advertise the kit as a 7PSI kit. The only thing they do not state is compatibility with the supersprint headers or full exhaust.
    ESS knows their stuff!!!

However, undoubtedly the car will run leaner with your exhaust setup. Hence, you were at ~400whp, the advertised power of the kit, with only ~4psi.
    This is my signature....

My Cars
    e60
    Hi guys. Here is the dyno from earlier today. The ~400HP run is with the 3.2" pulley and the ~420HP run is with the 3.0" pulley.

The electronic boost gauge hooked into the dyno wasn't accurate. We put another analog boost gauge on the manifold with a T-adapter and it read 6PSI...1.5 PSI higher than where we were with the 3.2" pulley.

Anyways, I was surprised to see the HP numbers as "low" as they were since the car drives so much different with the smaller pulley. The torque line is up quite a bit though.

Overall, it's comforting to know the system isn't running lean.
    Last edited by kernelmaker; 05-04-2012 at 12:39 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast