My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 3.0d

2007 X5 (E70) 3.0d engine cut out

I guys,

I bough my car just over a week ago. Amazing car, however since wednesday this week, when the engine gets up to working temp, the engine cuts out. It will happen either driving along, or from warm startup and about to drive off. When it happens there are no warning messages or lights it just stops dead. All the electrics are still on and when I try to restart, it doesn't catch. To start up I have to turn the ignition off and back on again. Naturally to my frustration I've been doing a lot of googling. I think it's a fuel delivery/sensory problem. Anyone got any ideas/come across this before?

Your help is really appreciated.

Regards,

Jamie

My Cars
    X5
    Hi Jamie,

i've got a nov 07 X5 3.0d and yesterday and today it's done exactly the same as yours. Did you find out what the problem was??

Cheers
    Murray

My Cars
    2007 BMW X5 3.0d
    Hi Murray,

Yeah, when I spoke to the dealer, they ran some diagnostics on it and found that the injector on cylinder no 5 had an intermittent fault, along with faulty glow plugs and wiring loom. This was going to be a costly repair. Seeing as I hadn't had the car long, I spoke to the dealer quoting the "Sales of goods Act" and the repair was carried out by BMW. I didn't pay a penny. I'd imagine it's expensive though. An new injector is about £250, glow plugs are £25 each and the wiring loom was prob about £100. Plus labour on top of that.

I hope this helps.

Regards,

Jamie

P.S. If you've not had the car long, be sure to check out your local council's trading standards. As a car bought less than six months ago has to be repaired without expense to the consumer with minimal inconvenience to the consumer.

My Cars
    X5
    Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the reply, spoke to the dealer so getting it booked in for some diagnostics!! Unfortunately I've had the car over 2 years and didn't renew the warranty and it's now 4 1/2 years old so could be a costly one!!
    Certainly sounds a fuel problem though as theres still power but no warning lights etc!!

Cheers
    Murray

My Cars
    BMW X5 E70 3.0sd

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by muzza77 View Post
    Hi Jamie,

Thanks for the reply, spoke to the dealer so getting it booked in for some diagnostics!! Unfortunately I've had the car over 2 years and didn't renew the warranty and it's now 4 1/2 years old so could be a costly one!!
    Certainly sounds a fuel problem though as theres still power but no warning lights etc!!

Cheers
    Murray

Hi Murray!

Just wondering if you managed to get this problem fixed?

I have exactly the same issues; Pulls like a train, then cuts out and engine dies. Take the key out, place the key back in and restart.

The diagnostic scanner came back with all 6 injectors and no specific ones - so its hard to tell if its an injector or a fuel delivery problem.

Thanks!
    Dan