Thread: Successful installation of INPA and DIS (EasyDIS) on non-serial laptop. Consolidated!

My Cars
    08-X5|01-M3|03-A4

Successful installation of INPA and DIS (EasyDIS) on non-serial laptop. Consolidated!

After many hours of diggin through the variuos documents, reading countless pages on this thread and some trial and error and i have successfuly got both INPA and DIS working on my newer Lenovo (no serial port) laptop using an ebay EDIABAS serial cable with a cheap-o USB-serial converter.

First and formost, big thanks goes out to all who contributed to this forum especially Randomy and David Mc. You guys are da shizznit!

Secondly, as noted above, i can confirm that you do not need an expensive PCMCIA USB converter card to use these tools with your newer laptop that lacks the serial port.

And thirdly, the purpose of this post is to have one consolidated set of instructions in one single post on how to get both tools working without diggin through many threads, looking for the correct info as i (and i'm sure many others) did. Basically, by following instructions below you will have both tools working within just few hours.
    As i'm looking back now, it really isn't that difficlult once you know the exact steps to take.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

To start what you need:
    • Hardware
      • A laptop (duh! )
      • eBay EDIABAS interface cable
      • USB to serial converter cable (i used cheap ATEN cable)
    • Software (i don't know if its allowed to post links to download sites, but these are easy to find, just search)
      • INPA 6.4.3
      • Easy DIS v.44 BASE and Easy DIS v.44 Programs (GT1-44)
      • VMware workstation v.6.5
      • Daemon Tools
    Now for the instructions. I will not post the step by step pictures as its all already done in the other threads, what i will do is post links to the threads and the post#'s you need to follow, all in order it needs to be done as well some additional links to other documents, plus any appropriate commentary.

* You need to perform all the steps below in the order written.

1. Install and configure INPA/EDIABAS
    • Follow the pictorial from this thread in post #1 to install and configure INPA. Be sure ALL the steps are followed exaclty.
      • When get to the point on editing ediabas.ini, besides IP and port change, ensure the interface is set to "=STD:OBD"
      • When you get to the point in the instructions for the ""configuring you carsoft interface (unless that's what you're using), stop, as you will need to perform the following steps instead:
        • Connect you USB-serial interface to an available USB port on your computer.
        • Make sure the drivers for the adapter are sucessfully installed
        • Open you Windows Device manager, expend Ports and you will see you newely installed device (likely depicted as US to Serial bridge). Note the COM port assigned.
        • Next, browse to C:\EDIABAS\Bin and create another INI file called OBD.INI in that directory. Copy these settings into the INI file where port= matches to port number you noted above.
          • [OBD]
            Port=Com?
            Hardware=USB
            RETRY=ON
            UBAT=OFF
        • Save the file and also copy it into the Windows folder
        • Skip Carsof DDE Diagnosis (unless using Carsoft) and finish INPA configuration per instructions.
    2. Test INPA connectivity (this is very important as if you cannot connect with INPA/EDIABAS going forward is uless as you will not be able to connect with DIS.) So get you interfaces connected, start INPA and test it out. You will know that you're connected once the circles next to Ignition and Battery fill in. Make sure you can open few modules without errors.

3. Install and configure VMW and DIS
    • Follow the pictorial from this thread in post #1 to install and configure VMWare workstation and DIS. Be sure ALL the steps are followed exaclty.
      • When you get to the point of creation your virtual Ethernet adapters, Randomy's instructions call for three, but you really only need one Network adapter to be bound to VMNet1
    • Once done with VMWare install, proceed with DIS install following directions exactly. It will take a while, but at the end you will have a fully functional DIS installation - that still cannot communicate to your interface. lol.
    4. DIS to EDIBIAS interface configuration. This is the portion that give people fits, but in really very easy once you know what to do and a correct document to follow.
    • First if DIS is running shut it down. but leave VMWare up
    • Download this document from David MC's 4Shared site "DIS_v44_&_v57_Installation_Check.pdf " and follow it exactly. Some pointers below.
      • Again, i don't believe there's a need for 3 network adapters, as it works just fine with just one.
      • Its very important that before you start you DIS VM this time (and every time in the future) you have IFHSrv32.exe running (its located in C:\EDIABAS\Bin), it will just place a open program box on your task bar. This program, from my understanding is an emulator that enables communicaiton between DIS and the soft version of EDIABS running on your laptop.
      • Once done with VMWare V-net mapping config and DIS is running, proceed with Easy-DIS Configure-Matic configuraitons. Hint: For the password, use the alpha-numeric password that you selected during the initial DIS setup.
      • When you get to SCOADMIN Network portion, i recommned you do delete and re-add the adapter as depicted i nthe document (it didn't work for me until i did)
      • As far as the rest just follow the directions in the document to the tee and you will be fine
      • As a last step,once done with all the configs and BEFORE attempting the API test to see if DIS can communicate with EDIABAS be sure to properly reboot DIS, by using the shutdown DIS command on the initial screen of the Configure-Matic to ensure all the changes have properly saved.
      • After DIS is up and running again, get back into Configure-Matic and perform the API test.
    5. Initial start up of the DIS and connecting to the vehicle.
    • This is pretty self-explainatory, but you can also use the pictorial in this thread, post #4 for the initial run of the DIS after you have verified that it can communicate with EDIABAS.
    That's it!!!!
    Last edited by azmp1; 03-23-2012 at 07:37 PM.
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    2001 BMW M3 Conv: New project.
    1998-BMW-323iC: Sold
    2003-Audi-A4: Unitronic tuned, gt3076 on meth.
    2008-BMW-X5: Supercharged with 2 baby seats.

My Cars
    97 M3 coupe
    Nice work, Alex! I'm going to give this a shot with my E6400 running 7 and VMWorkstation 8 and see what the results are.
    1997 M3 Coupe
    2004 A4 Avant 1.8T

My Cars
    08 535xit
    i will be giving this a try on my Dell Latitude 2100.

G~

i am at work now, so am not able to test it with my car (carpooled today).

i am a bit confused on if i should be seeing the yellow diaghead connection status showing up properly or not. i am able to run the API tests no problem, but my daig head is showing blank. i have tried running the Diaghead software to see if that changes anything and no. it actually never connects to the DIS. does the APITest not care if the diaghead is connected?

G~
    Last edited by Reefin Dude; 03-27-2012 at 04:40 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    08-X5|01-M3|03-A4
    ^ You use IFHSrv32. Thats the emulator that replaces the yellow head and allows you to connect DIS to INPA. Anything regarding Yellowhead does not matter.

If you're able to run API test succesfully, that tells you that DIS can communicate to INPA, and you should be ok. Have you actually tried connecting to your vehicle with at least INPA and get a success?

At least thats my understanding. The folks on here understand this a lot better then i do, so please correct if i'm wrong.
    \\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\
    2001 BMW M3 Conv: New project.
    1998-BMW-323iC: Sold
    2003-Audi-A4: Unitronic tuned, gt3076 on meth.
    2008-BMW-X5: Supercharged with 2 baby seats.

My Cars
    02 330xi i || 01 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by Reefin Dude View Post
    i will be giving this a try on my Dell Latitude 2100.

G~

i am at work now, so am not able to test it with my car (carpooled today).

i am a bit confused on if i should be seeing the yellow diaghead connection status showing up properly or not. i am able to run the API tests no problem, but my daig head is showing blank. i have tried running the Diaghead software to see if that changes anything and no. it actually never connects to the DIS. does the APITest not care if the diaghead is connected?

G~
    No you will not see the yellow diaghead connection. There is a diagnostic head emulator floating around you only need to use if you use the later base version of DIS (I believe). IFHSrv32 is all you need with EasyDIS v44. If the apitest runs successfully then you should be good to go.

However if you are using a Dell laptop with a built-in hardware serial port, there is a known issue that DIS will not auto-detect your car properly and INPA will not recognize the ignition is on.
    Yoy.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    That is a very nice write up. Its nice to finally see this all put into one place.

My Cars
    97 bmw 320, 94 bmwm3
    I have tried with another usb adapter, and it did not work.
    anyone have any ideas why?
    adapter is called marquet..

My Cars
    1996 E39 528i Sedan
    +1 on this.
    I got mine working on a very modern hp hdx 18 with windows 7 and an expresscard com port from china.
    If it doesn't work, you've done something wrong. It's really not that complicated to make a fresh vmware machine even for a novice.

All I followed was the easy dis/gt1 installation guide and added in the OBD ini file mentioned above at the end. Works flawlessly.

There are versions of ediabas that don't work properly. I found that using the OBD drivers form the INPA Update 80x and also the IFHSrv32.exe from that too (copy and paste). I didn't update it fully as it doesn't work on mine.

If you can get the IP address to show in the IFHSrv32 task icon all you need to do is sort out the OBD ini as above.

Thank you
    azmp1
    You have cracked dis on a modern machine! Legend status for ever.

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    I have to say, this writeup was FANTASTIC and finally got me to a point where I have functioning INPA and DIS (I'm not even going to say how long I've been working on this).

However, I'm looking to setup INPA for the ADS interface so I can reprogram my DME (did a manual transmission swap last year), and if I try to change the ediabas.ini file to use INTERFACE=ADS (and run the ADS setup in the hardware folder), it basically crashes INPA. It gives numerous errors and freezes (send error report?). I am using a usb-serial adapter and ediabas/ADS adapter cable. Is the connection the problem, or is it an issue with the settings for ediabas? I feel like I've read everything there is to read on this, but it seems like I'm still missing something.

Thanks!

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    1. Serial to USB adapter is 99% not going to work for ADS.

2. You sure you really have an ADS interface?
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    Well, I have an ADS adapter.

My concern is that INPA gives me all these crazy error messages when I try to configure it to use the ADS interface. I just want to make sure I'm configuring INPA correctly.

Second, my car is a 99, so it still has both connectors. Is ADS the only way to flash the DME on this car? What does everyone use for the newer cars? SSS Progman? WinKFP? Is there any way to reprogram the DME using the OBDII connector?

This is driving me completely nuts. Any further assistance would be very much appreciated!

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Im gonna ask again. ARE YOU SURE ITS AN ADS INTERFACE?

All pre 96 cars, and ALL E36/Z3 cars are ADS.

ADS is pretty special and not some run of the mill ebay OBD/INPA cable.

Thats why Im so adamant about making sure you really have one.

My guess is that INPA isnt finding what it wants, do to being short the L comm line.

There are some around....but you mentioned INPA cable and thats terminology used one ebay for cheap non-ADS interfaces...

Here is a working one...

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1435617
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    And I should add....the USB thing is NOT going to work. There is one brand that works, but you have to manipulate all sorts of comms to get it right.

I dont remember the brand or the chipset.

My Cars
    E87 120d M-Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by bproosow View Post
    Well, I have an ADS adapter. My concern is that INPA gives me all these crazy error messages when I try to configure it to use the ADS interface. I just want to make sure I'm configuring INPA correctly. Second, my car is a 99, so it still has both connectors. Is ADS the only way to flash the DME on this car?
    Right, well if you're using an ADS adapter, which is simply a 20-pin to 16-pin adapter, then set Ediabas to STD:OBD and use the 20-pin diagnostic connector under the bonnet/hood. What crazy messages are you getting within INPA?

Quote Originally Posted by IcemanBHE View Post
    And I should add....the USB thing is NOT going to work. There is one brand that works, but I dont remember the brand or the chipset.
    I think FTDI is the name you're searching for B. http://www.ftdichip.com/Products/Cables/USBRS232.htm

My Cars
    1999 323i Convertible
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is definitely a cheap ebay cable with an ADS adapter. It does not have any internal chip like the nice ADS cables you've pointed out. I'm not too worried about the USB thing. I know it will never work without the serial port, so I'm installing the software on an old desktop.

Back to my other question, am I understanding correctly that the only way to flash the DME on an E36 is using ADS? I just want to know for sure before I shell out another $100 for an interface.

My Cars
    Quote Originally Posted by azmp1 View Post
    Next, browse to C:\EDIABAS\Bin and create another INI file called OBD.INI in that directory. Copy these settings into the INI file where port= matches to port number you noted above.
    This wasn't mentioned in any guides. Thank you so much. I got DIS up and running. Now I am ready to purchase comfort access key and program it myself.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by bproosow View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear. This is definitely a cheap ebay cable with an ADS adapter. It does not have any internal chip like the nice ADS cables you've pointed out. I'm not too worried about the USB thing. I know it will never work without the serial port, so I'm installing the software on an old desktop.

Back to my other question, am I understanding correctly that the only way to flash the DME on an E36 is using ADS? I just want to know for sure before I shell out another $100 for an interface.
    As stated above there is a difference between those super cheap ebay cables and a true ADS interface. They may look the same but they are not. If you take apart the 20 pin adapter on one of those $5 ebay cables you'll see there are only 4 or 5 wires. They are all missing the connection for the L line and the L line is what gives you complete access to all modules. Those other cables are only communicating on the K line. A true ADS interface will have access to the L line. Get one of Gerts cables and save yourself a ton of time and frustration.

The only way to access all modules and do any kind of coding on an e36 is through the 20 pin connector in the engine bay. If your e36 has an OBDII port you will be able to access very very limited info there. I wouldn't even bother experimenting with it. Just connect to the round 20 pin.

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3

Troubleshooting Installation

Thanks for taking the time and consolidating this information. Unfortunately my installation didn't go as seamless as others. I've finally got Ediabas to install and appears to be running correctly. My questions starts with the cable; when I plug the usb connector into the computer the two circles turn black before I turn on the ignition switch. How can I verify that the cable is actually receiving data from the car?

The cable I purchased thru ebay from BMWcable.com and came with the 20-pin round adapter and software. Before I purchase the cable I did ask them if this would work with a 2001 BMW Z3 and I was told it would.

My computer sees the cable as a serial adapter and is connected as COM1.

Any suggestions would be great appreciated as I have been tinkering with this for a couple of weeks.

My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Pretty sure you need ADS interface for that Z car...

My Cars
    2001 BMW Z3
    What's a ADS interface?

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    I tried this and it didn't work. However it may be a problem in my end. It's a Dell D620 that has a serial port. It's also an e36 that usually requires an ads interface. I'm using a Prolific serial/USB adapter. Maybe a different adapter would work.