Thread: Changing my Bimmer - E46 next? opinions and help please.

My Cars
    E34 525td

Changing my Bimmer - E46 next? opinions and help please.

it's been ages since I was here, and in the meantime I've owned and run my 1995 525td, mostly, happily.

Now the old girl needs to go in favour of something more economical, although she still knocks out 41mpg if i drive motorways with care.

i think its the E46 shape that most appeals, ideally the 2 door. I'm used to, and want again, leather and auto options, and probably a diesel though I'd consider an economical petrol if its a possibility.

So, please, whats important to know as I look around, which of the models should I consider, mayber other than the e46?

My budget is only aboutr 3.5K and I assume I'll get next to nothing for my old 525td, though its got a great service history and doesnt miss a beat.

Thanks in advance for anyone kind enough to contribute.

My Cars
    1997 318i
    3.5K pounds? or dollars? Big difference here. 3.5K pounds will be around $5,500 plus trade in on your car could give you around $6,500. In the states, that could get you an e46, albeit a high mileage one. Not sure how the market is in the UK.

Also, I don't own an e46 so I'm not speaking from experience....but I know you will be needing to do a lot of DIYing to avoid spending lots of money on maintenance every year. E36 is a slightly more simplistic breed, as you know, and has less things that can go wrong.

And definitely shop around when looking for a buyer of your vehicle. I was surprised at the wide range of offers I received for my 97 318i. Everywhere from $900-2,000.