Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New paint job vs. Vinyl wrapping

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i

New paint job vs. Vinyl wrapping

Comparing the price of getting a full body paint job to wrapping the body with gloss vinyl, what do you think? $1000 for a paint job not including detailing dings and dents or getting a complete detail done for $150 and getting the wrap for $500 and DIY. My car had a lot of scratches and scratch remover won't work on them and a paint job seems like the easiest way out but wrapping seems more fun.
    IG: ZeeZooM3

My Cars
    paint. I would choose paint everytime. more durable, easier to maintain, easier to apply etc. Also, I would spend more for quality prep and paint than a crappy 1000 paint job. but in my opinion 1000 paint job is still better than 500 dollar wrap.
    the only time vinyl wrap is worth it to me is if you are advertising, or maybe have a leased car.
    '93 325i

My Cars
    02 M3(sold), 95 M3(sold), 95 M3(sold), 05 545i
    I went the wrap route and couldn't be happier!

2005 BMW 545i 6sp Matte white Dinan Sport

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    I am about to do the same thing and going with gloss red vinyl. Im going to do it myself and getting the vinyl for $400 for quality stuff. I am going to pull any thing off the car that I can when doing it. IMO, paint will cost about $1.5k-$2k to do it right. Supplies cost almost $600 alone.

Quote Originally Posted by MotorcityM3 View Post
    I went the wrap route and couldn't be happier!

Is that a matte white pearl? I was thinking of it.
    Last edited by MarketMaster; 03-24-2012 at 05:46 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2002 Imola Red E46 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeZoo View Post
    Comparing the price of getting a full body paint job to wrapping the body with gloss vinyl, what do you think? $1000 for a paint job not including detailing dings and dents or getting a complete detail done for $150 and getting the wrap for $500 and DIY. My car had a lot of scratches and scratch remover won't work on them and a paint job seems like the easiest way out but wrapping seems more fun.
    I see problems in two of your options....

1.) $1000 paint job would look like crap...Probably not done right. A correct paint job with the prep time, paint, etc. would be around 4k. Thats for a good one.

2.) There is no such thing as a $150 detail that is going to yield the results you are hoping for. I detail on the side to make a little extra "fun" money and I can promise you $150 is either not going to cut it or you are going to be taking it to some detail shop and they are going to put a high speed rotary on your paint, maybe burn it. More than likely they are going to hit it with a wool pad and put a bunch of filler on your car that is going to wash off the first time you wash it, maybe the second if your lucky.

The wrap is not a bad idea but keep in mind that it does take a little extra work to keep it looking nice and $500 to wrap is not a whole lot...so be careful.

Take it to a pro detailer and get a quote. A full correction will run you about $500-$900. Post up in the detailing section here and post some pics of your car. Those guys, including myself, would be more than happy to help you out.

329097_10151144875184101_1020786818_o by boomersooner523, on Flickr
    Past:
    1995 Hellrot E36 M3: JBR LTW flywheel, TRM chip, Dinan exhaust and CAI
    1999 Cosmos E36 M3 Engine: TRM Tune, M50 manifold, B&B Exhaust, BW ASC delete, AFe CAI and LOTS of other stuff
    New: 2002 E46 M3, Imola, 6spd, KW V2, Stoptech BBK, Agency Power exhaust, Mason Engineering Strut bar

My Cars
    '96 328is, 89' 325i Vert
    I've seen vinyl jobs that look great but their vinyl alone cost way more than $400-$500, makes me wonder what kind of cheap sticker vinyl you guys plan on wrapping your entire car in
    Last edited by myreversewave; 03-24-2012 at 05:55 PM.

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Vinyl is not a replacement for paint. It is a temporary alternative.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    Quote Originally Posted by myreversewave View Post
    I've seen vinyl jobs that look great but their vinyl alone cost way more than $400-$500, makes me wonder what kind of cheap sticker vinyl you guys plan on wrapping your entire car in
    The vinyl does not cost more than that. I'm looking at Hexis 30000 and it's less than $400 for 60 ft.

My Cars
    '96 328is, 89' 325i Vert
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketMaster View Post
    The vinyl does not cost more than that. I'm looking at Hexis 30000 and it's less than $400 for 60 ft.
    Yea I looked that stuff up, it's def cheap...

My Cars
    95' M3, 98' M3/4
    I wouldn't waste my money on that low of a paint job. Ok paint jobs start at 4k. Better then OEM paint start at 10k.

I'd just get it wrapped for 2k and call it a day.

My Cars
    94 325i, 99 323i vert
    Just throwing this out there, I wrapped my old mk2 gti I had and it turned out great. Did it white, and loved it. And the best part was if you wanted to wipe something off of it you didnt have to worry about scratching the paint!

My Cars
    2000 740iL
    Ive been thinking about doing the roof trunk and hood of my wifes e36 sedan in black vinyl. Her car is white but the roof and hood look like it could use a respray. Ima try it out and see how it looks. If I dont like it I can always just peel it off

My Cars
    13 Rubicon
    Anyway you can post picture of the "scratches", i'm curious how bad they are? Did you try to use a rotary or just the "scratch remover" sold at like pep boys?

And have you ever tried to wrap a car...vinyl is a dick.
    2011 M3 Coupe - Individual Fire Orange/Black Novillo Extended Leather, 6MT, Mode Carbon, Eisenmann Race, BBS CH-R, BC Coil-overs (Sold)
    1995 M3 Coupe - Avus/Hurricane, AEM EMS, Precision Turbo, Boostlogic, H&R, Fikse FM/5, MaxVelocity, Maximum PSI, 20% Tint, etc etc.. (Sold)
    2009 M3 Coupe - AW/Fox Red, 6MT, Carbon Roof, Shadow Trim, etc (Sold)

My Cars
    BMW e30 M3
    $1k for paint job, I would stay away, the materials cost more than that, I am having 2 of my e30s painted and I see the receipts and the quality materials and paint will be more than $1k, not including the labor etc...

My Cars
    1999 BMW 323i
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523 View Post
    I see problems in two of your options....

1.) $1000 paint job would look like crap...Probably not done right. A correct paint job with the prep time, paint, etc. would be around 4k. Thats for a good one.

2.) There is no such thing as a $150 detail that is going to yield the results you are hoping for. I detail on the side to make a little extra "fun" money and I can promise you $150 is either not going to cut it or you are going to be taking it to some detail shop and they are going to put a high speed rotary on your paint, maybe burn it. More than likely they are going to hit it with a wool pad and put a bunch of filler on your car that is going to wash off the first time you wash it, maybe the second if your lucky.
    I have a 12" rotary that I've used once to wax it, came out okay but not 'good'.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Nguyen View Post
    Vinyl is not a replacement for paint. It is a temporary alternative.
    I look at it like this: Get a paint job and someone can scratch it just as easy as before but vinyl wrap is durable and if you scratch a body wall or door, you can remove and re-vinyl in snap.

Quote Originally Posted by ZimDoc View Post
    I wouldn't waste my money on that low of a paint job. Ok paint jobs start at 4k. Better then OEM paint start at 10k.

I'd just get it wrapped for 2k and call it a day.
    $10k paint job?

Quote Originally Posted by EddieNewYork View Post
    $1k for paint job, I would stay away, the materials cost more than that, I am having 2 of my e30s painted and I see the receipts and the quality materials and paint will be more than $1k, not including the labor etc...
    I'd like to find a decent shop that actually cares about the customer and not treat them like they're never going to see us again. Most of the shops around me are hella expensive and work on your car like its a toyota.

Quote Originally Posted by WCM3 View Post
    Anyway you can post picture of the "scratches", i'm curious how bad they are? Did you try to use a rotary or just the "scratch remover" sold at like pep boys?

And have you ever tried to wrap a car...vinyl is a dick.
    I have used Scratch Doctor "This stuff works or your money back". I got my money back. And yea I've experimented with vinyl for my interior trim. Hardest part is stretching over the corners.

I started a new thread in the Detailed about this. I'd rather just wrap it TBH but what are your opinions from the pics?
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...3#post24007903
    IG: ZeeZooM3

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by ZeeZoo View Post
    I look at it like this: Get a paint job and someone can scratch it just as easy as before but vinyl wrap is durable and if you scratch a body wall or door, you can remove and re-vinyl in snap.
    That's like a minor single small detail that you're focusing on, which is not really the reason why I would not recommend vinyl over a paint job in a non-temporary case.

If you want, I can use your example. If some body scratches your rear quarter panel with vinyl on it, I am not sure it is going to be as fast and easy as a snap of fingers. Also vinyl is usually around 3mils. If you're hitting something like a rough wall or a door, it is possibly going to go straight through the vinyl and possibly into the paint as well.

My Cars
    e36 e39 367
    Another option...plastidip.

http://dipyourcar.com/
    Bumble Bee

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    That's like a minor single small detail that you're focusing on, which is not really the reason why I would not recommend vinyl over a paint job in a non-temporary case.

If you want, I can use your example. If some body scratches your rear quarter panel with vinyl on it, I am not sure it is going to be as fast and easy as a snap of fingers. Also vinyl is usually around 3mils. If you're hitting something like a rough wall or a door, it is possibly going to go straight through the vinyl and possibly into the paint as well.
    Don, in your example you're going to have to have paint work done again as well. It isn't really the best example. So what if you get a scratch through to the paint. you can sand prime and then re vinyl.

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Don, in your example you're going to have to have paint work done again as well. It isn't really the best example. So what if you get a scratch through to the paint. you can sand prime and then re vinyl.
    That is correct. You will have to repaint, if it was painted. However, you are going to have to re vinyl the entire quarter section from the rear to the front of the car (assuming you're doing everything seamlessly). If it were just paint, you would sand/prime the area, like you said you would have to do if it was vinyl anyways, and then just paint/blend the area effected and the immediate area around it.

My Cars
    97 M3/4/5, MCS
    That is correct. You will have to repaint, if it was painted. However, you are going to have to re vinyl the entire quarter section from the rear to the front of the car (assuming you're doing everything seamlessly). If it were just paint, you would sand/prime the area, like you said you would have to do if it was vinyl anyways, and then just paint/blend the area effected and the immediate area around it.

on a sedan, I can just revinyl the rear quarter panel. It doesn't run all the way to the front of the car. The only problem I could see is the vinyl having some fade to it from the sun but paints does the same thing over time.

My Cars
    88 325is, 99 Vw cabrio
    Quote Originally Posted by manny328i View Post
    Another option...plastidip.

http://dipyourcar.com/
    I can't believe there are people that do their entire car

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    on a sedan, I can just revinyl the rear quarter panel. It doesn't run all the way to the front of the car. The only problem I could see is the vinyl having some fade to it from the sun but paints does the same thing over time.
    I just wanted to give you guys my experiences and thoughts with vinyl. In the end, it doesn't matter to me which direction you go with your car, since it is your car.

My Cars
    1998 E36 M3 Convertible
    Quote Originally Posted by boomersooner523 View Post

Take it to a pro detailer and get a quote. A full correction will run you about $500-$900. Post up in the detailing section here and post some pics of your car. Those guys, including myself, would be more than happy to help you out.
    This is spot on. Definitely what I would do first. If not, I'd plan to save up $3-5K for a repaint done right. $1000 maaco jobs shouldn't be touching e46's yet in my honest opinion (that's a compliment).
    '98 E36 M3 Convertible - ​Cosmo Schwartz
    '01.5 B5 A4 1.8TQM APR Stg 2
    '18 Alltrack SE DSG OEM+
    '88 E30 325 Sedan Stroker - Sold
    '89 E30 325i Two Door - Sold
    '88 E30 325iS - Sold
    '98 E39 540i 6mt Sport Oxford - Sold

My Cars
    2005 M3, 1995 740i
    My opinion is that vinyl isnt a long term alternative to paint. I cant see vinyl holding up too well on the front of the car. plastic is soft and i would assume would be more easily damaged by bugs, rocks, sand, etc. With paint you have a hard clear coat that would think would better stand up to these things. Another thing is that plastic fades and i dont think it would stand up to the long term use under an intense sun. UV rays would dry it out and decompose it over a long period. Paint wont degrade and flake from the sun if properly taken care of. Just my .02

My Cars
    97' M3 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by HR393rs View Post
    My opinion is that vinyl isnt a long term alternative to paint. I cant see vinyl holding up too well on the front of the car. plastic is soft and i would assume would be more easily damaged by bugs, rocks, sand, etc. With paint you have a hard clear coat that would think would better stand up to these things. Another thing is that plastic fades and i dont think it would stand up to the long term use under an intense sun. UV rays would dry it out and decompose it over a long period. Paint wont degrade and flake from the sun if properly taken care of. Just my .02
    Some of that is right and some isn't.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast