Thread: Is the HK amp a direct bolt on replacing the factory non-HK amp?

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3

Is the HK amp a direct bolt on replacing the factory non-HK amp?

To Moderator: I know this should be in the audio forum but I have posted there and nobody replies. There are too few people there. E36 forum is hot so I guess I could get a reply in here. Please please please do not tow.

My car: '96 328i. If I could find an amp taken from an E36 HK system. Would the HK amp be a direct bolt on replacing the factory non-HK amp?

If this works, wouln't it be minimal of work for you to upgrade the under-power factory non-HK amp to a 400Watt HK amp?

My Cars
    E30 E36 E46
    This is the 20th time someone asked this.

But it's ok, we like noobs. They're so round and shiny. No wait, that's a knob. Oh well.

To answer your question. Yup, it will plug right in. I have the HK sound system from HK speakers to HK amp to Bpk CD43 HU and it all plugs in and works stock. 100% PnP. Hope that helps ya.
    PM is full. Do not PM me. EMAIL me to communicate!!

*** SF Bay Area ***
    SRS Light Reset $15 (first 10 ppl, then free after that for everyone)

The only replacement for displacement is technology.

E46 03 325i
    E36 98 M3 Vert
    E36 95 M3
    E36 93 318IS
    E30 89 M3

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    I'm sorry that this has been asked before. However, when I searched "Harmon Kardon", only 10 threads showed up and I got no information on whether the HK amp and the non-HK amp are interchangeable.
    And I could not search the two-letter-word "HK". So I have to ask.

I have been in the E36 forum for the past 8 months but honestly I have never remember seeing anybody asking this question before. Probably the previous 19th time was asked before I came here last July.

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    Oh, BTW, thanks for the reply!

My Cars
    '96 328i; '13 X3
    Oh, again, BTW, what is that '95 M3 Kompressor? You changed to an Mercedes engine?

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    you know you have to change the speaker too right?

My Cars
    1995 M3
    You don't have to change spkrs although I suggest you do to get max benefit.
    I didn't, but I hardly listen to radio or CD anymore.
    Like to monitor engine sound.

Incidentally, use HK* to meet 3 character criterion for search.
    Walk a mile in my shoes and you are a mile away in someone else's shoes.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    Paid off
    Originally posted by Balthazarr
    ...Incidentally, use HK* to meet 3 character criterion for search.
    Damn, you learn something new every day...

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    really ive never heard that before. i thought it ran like the bose systems do on only one ohm.

i wonder how much of an upgrade it would be without the other speakers?

My Cars
    Paid off
    Originally posted by Serious
    really ive never heard that before. i thought it ran like the bose systems do on only one ohm.

i wonder how much of an upgrade it would be without the other speakers?
    I wondered this too, as my amp was making my left side speakers cut out, and I couldn't find a non H/K amp to replace it anywhere....

Luckily, DOO came through with one, and it worked just fine...

The only way I found mine, was to do a WTB in the Classifieds..

My Cars
    Audi RS4. BMW S1000RR.
    ok does anyone know whether or not the hk amps from a coupe or sedan will fit a vert.

the mounting locations are different. vert is behind rear seat (pass. side) coupe/sedan is under the side panel on the drivers side.

can you swap them or am i going to have to find an amp out of a vert?

My Cars
    Paid off
    Mere speculation, but...

I notice the one's from the sedan/coupe have an extra bracket on them. This might be an adapter to fit it into the trunk mounting position...

I would think they would both be the same.

My Cars
    1995 M3
    Mine came with a bracket and looked just like the OEM mount for the Alpine unit that was stock.
    Goodridge*UUC sways* Black TME's and mounts( switched from Red)* x-brace*brembo rotors*Zimmerman rear*Pagid*Riken Raptors* Roja Formula 7's (Bronze)* Stromung*Powdercoated AA DSB* OMP strut bar*GC RSM's* M3 alum/leather knob*JTD underpanel *Traffic PRO (sold) *Black hella Ellipsoids w/celis rings * ACS Pedals*ACS handbrake*RE Octane SSK*Wheelskins Eurotones S/ Wheel Cover( tossed-replaced with new one)* Totally Covers Front seat velour covers with custom styling *Rieger roof spoiler-lost it on fwy Stock A/B*URI CP (ditched years ago)*540 HFM (sold) Stock HFM (BeckArnley)*FMS 24 lb inj*Alum rad and some other stuff*Konis w/adj rr's*Vogtland springs ** Passport 8500(sold)*Passpprt 7500 (sold V1-1.8 with POP) No detectors at all.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681

My Cars
    1995 M3
    If anyone is interested, I still have my original amp.
    Will sell.
    Coming...nada

BMWCCA-303681