Thread: Open convertible top vs. rain storm

My Cars
    2004 330CI auto vert

Question Open convertible top vs. rain storm

I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later since driving with the top down in south Florida is so common. The interior got pretty wet before the top could be put up. I toweled everything off as best as possible, ran the A/C for a half hour, and now that the sun is out, I have the top down again.

Here is the problem that I hope you all will have some advice to help me out with.
    I have noticed that some of the interior electronics, such as the Nav, dashboard, and of all things, the brake lights are staying on after I turn off the car. The automatic light control also seems to be malfunctioning because unless I turn off the lights manually they are staying on also. Lastly the alarm fob(which did not get wet) will not turn on or off the alarm, nor open the trunk.
    I am going to let the interior bake in the sun with the top down, but any other ideas on what to do?

My Cars
    2015 BMW M235i
    Fill your car with rice. I did it to my phone after it got wet and now it works.

JK.. hopefully letting her sun bathe for a bit will clear some things up.

2015 M235i 6MT

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    Quote Originally Posted by nike001
    Fill your car with rice. I did it to my phone after it got wet and now it works.

JK.. hopefully letting her sun bathe for a bit will clear some things up.
    Lol!!!! That's the first thing popped up in my mind! Well yeah, you just gotta give it some time, let things dry.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

My Cars
    330Cic
    You might want to call your insurance company. Sounds like some of the body control systems (computers) are saturated. Once that occurs, the circuitry corrodes and the modules will have to be replaced. If this were my car, I'd get it to a highly skilled professional for a proper diagnosis.

My Cars
    2011 Mini Cooper conv S

Help! Rain!!!!

What happened happened with yours? I did this today. 0% chance of rain and a pop up thunderstorm! My electronics are acting CRAZY! A/c fan will not turn off. The airbag light is on, etc. the horn goes off randomly until I pulled fuse out. I hope to dry it out tomorrow but worried it's damaged permanently. I'm out of warranty!!!! Ugh please let me know if anyone has had this happen and what was outcome?

Quote Originally Posted by Vector1 View Post
    I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later since driving with the top down in south Florida is so common. The interior got pretty wet before the top could be put up. I toweled everything off as best as possible, ran the A/C for a half hour, and now that the sun is out, I have the top down again.

Here is the problem that I hope you all will have some advice to help me out with.
    I have noticed that some of the interior electronics, such as the Nav, dashboard, and of all things, the brake lights are staying on after I turn off the car. The automatic light control also seems to be malfunctioning because unless I turn off the lights manually they are staying on also. Lastly the alarm fob(which did not get wet) will not turn on or off the alarm, nor open the trunk.
    I am going to let the interior bake in the sun with the top down, but any other ideas on what to do?

My Cars
    E60 530i (M54/6psd)
    if you're not going to take it anywhere to get worked on, id at least take the top down, park it in a shut garage and run a dehumidifier. You want dry air to circulate and absorb the moisture, the sun wont do much for water that is in nook and crevices wherease dry air will circulate and absorb moisture

My Cars
    '05 330 ZHP slosh box
    Quote Originally Posted by nike001 View Post
    Fill your car with rice. I did it to my phone after it got wet and now it works. JK.. hopefully letting her sun bathe for a bit will clear some things up.
    I used rice to help dry out the floor panel from my rain leak. Works pretty well

2005 E46 330 ZHP Imola Red
    2004 E46 325 M56 Steel Metallic Blue - Sold

My Cars
    05 330i convertible
    My vert has been rained on w/ the top down on two different occasions, no problems. Let it dry out and see what happens.

My Cars
    2004 330CI auto vert
    Quote Originally Posted by KimberlySue View Post
    What happened happened with yours? I did this today. 0% chance of rain and a pop up thunderstorm! My electronics are acting CRAZY! A/c fan will not turn off. The airbag light is on, etc. the horn goes off randomly until I pulled fuse out. I hope to dry it out tomorrow but worried it's damaged permanently. I'm out of warranty!!!! Ugh please let me know if anyone has had this happen and what was outcome?
    Everything turned out great with only towels to get the wet seats and rugs done, then let it bake in the sun. Finally I put up the top and ran the A?C full blast for a couple of hours to get any last moisture out.

My Cars
    2008 BMW 650i Conv
    I just found this thread. About a week and a half ago I left my convertible top down overnight and it rained pretty hard. There was a pool of water on the back seats that I cleaned up the next morning and then vacuumed the rugs and applied some leather moisturizer. The problem with me is that now, every morning when I start the car a get a message telling me there is a high battery drain followed by the SOS malfunction light. They go out after a few seconds and I have no other mechanical problems. The car drives normally and there do not seem to be any battery power problems. However I have noticed that my Bluetooth does not work either. If I start the car during the day after driving, I do not get the high battery drain message but I do get the SOS message. It's been almost 2 weeks now and I'm still having this problem. Has anyone out there experienced any of these symptoms after rain getting into the car? The funny thing was that even thought the back seat was soaked, the dashboard and front part of the front seats looked like it never got wet.

My Cars
    2001 325i; 2006 325i
    That happened to my wife's car. The water and current draw problem. Her car is an Acura MDX and she started having the problem of the battery going dead if she left the car sitting for more than 10 hours or so. I wound up putting a voltage meter in series with the battery cable and found that she had a recurring intermittent 3A draw, even with the car off. I started pulling fuses until I found what was pulling the current. For her, it was some module that was mounted near the floor that shorted out. I don't remember exactly what it was.

Even after two weeks, I'll bet that if you pulled the seats and carpet out, it's still pretty wet in there, unless you took measures to get the moisture out. You may be having a problem with something shorting out and/or corrosion.

My Cars
    BMW 328i

97 328i top won’t go up after getting wet

My car was in a parking lot with the top down and it rained. It starts and everything works, but the top won’t go back up.