Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: You drive your 8 sports mode "S"?

My Cars
    BMW 850CI 1993

Question You drive your 8 sports mode "S"?

Hello all. My 850CI, 93 years has a 4HP24 transmission. Driving in sport mode is done with the shifter in "D-3", which uses only three speeds. Driving becomes more enjoyable as the exchanges are made in a higher engine speed, but ... fuel consumption increases significantly. How often direct their eight colleagues in sport mode?

My Cars
    E31, E38, E39
    I have a M73 with the 5-speed tran which does not have the sport mode, but I can tell you from with my 5 or 7 that do have a "sport" mode, that I only ever use it when I'm in an aggressive highway environment, or for fun.

When I'm on slow roads or in slow traffic I slide it off. But if traffic is thick but moving, it's on! Or, if I'm in a spirited mood it goes on too. Open highways cruising along? No reason for it. Settle back.

It just depends on what context you are driving in, and what you want from the car.

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    I do mostly Hwy driving, but on the weekends around town, I use the S3. With the Dinan Chips, it's even more spunky! Can't wait to see what it does with some Wokke chips?

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    Mine has Sport and Komfort mode. I don't think I will ever put it in Komfort mode. The dust that's settled in that side of the switch might make it stick!

"Komfort" driving is for the wife's car...
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    '98 840ci
    I drive my 8 sports mode "S", yessir, I do

My Cars
    911 + E31
    S most of the time :-)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Faria View Post
    Hello all. My 850CI, 93 years has a 4HP24 transmission. Driving in sport mode is done with the shifter in "D-3", which uses only three speeds. Driving becomes more enjoyable as the exchanges are made in a higher engine speed, but ... fuel consumption increases significantly. How often direct their eight colleagues in sport mode?
    No need to, I have WOKKE V2 chips in my 93's. The Black one even has a 3.91 LSD...

...varooooooom!

Quote Originally Posted by IJustDrive View Post
    I do mostly Hwy driving, but on the weekends around town, I use the S3. With the Dinan Chips, it's even more spunky! Can't wait to see what it does with some Wokke chips?
    Night and day. Those DINAN will seem like they were stock chips (which they really are....)
    Last edited by TxGR8White; 03-16-2012 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    1994 BMW 850csi
    Whenever I drive the 8 to work it's Komfort mode...............BUT on the way home it's Sport mode all the way, I love it. And on the weekends it's definetly SPORT!!

My Cars
    BMW 850i, Yamaha V-Star 1100, 1952 Willys M-38
    I think we have two differnt conversations going here lol. We have sport/econo mode tranny, and sport/comfort mode susspension. I prefer manual mode, gearing down at lights and things

My Cars
    1994 850CSi, 2007 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorpatterson View Post
    Mine has Sport and Komfort mode. I don't think I will ever put it in Komfort mode. The dust that's settled in that side of the switch might make it stick!...
    Taylor, I've seen your ride, and the only dust on/in your 8 is on the bottom of your shoe when you get in it!

Never out of Sport mode for me.

My Cars
    E31, E38, E39
    Quote Originally Posted by taylorpatterson View Post
    Mine has Sport and Komfort mode.
    I'm not sure the OP was asking for EDC settings. While I also leave my EDC in S, I think he was asking for the tranny mode preference.

My Cars
    1994 850CSi #125
    Quote Originally Posted by Neuance View Post
    I think we have two differnt conversations going here lol. We have sport/econo mode tranny, and sport/comfort mode susspension. I prefer manual mode, gearing down at lights and things
    The CSi's have a Sport vs. Komfort mode switch which when in Sport gives you more direct control over throttle response. Sort of like taking away the fly by wire aspect.
    Taylor in Carlsbad

P=(p x v3 x Cd x A)/2

My Cars
    "95 840 Ci Sport Indi
    my 95 840 individual has E and S mode i usually drive it in S mode its my default ....
    unless im on a highway with a long stretch then i move it into E.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlington8 View Post
    I'm not sure the OP was asking for EDC settings. While I also leave my EDC in S, I think he was asking for the tranny mode preference.

"but ... fuel consumption increases significantly. "
    If this is EDC related something is seriously going wrong with the OP's car.
    He clearly refers to the auto tranny program setting of an M70 powered 850 with 4-speed auto box.

Important to know is, that US-spec cars with M70/4HP24 do not even have the "S"-mode. They only have "A" and "M" and also a different EGS unit.
    US spec EGS ends 125 while ECE spec ends 113. I'm currently test driving a 125 US-spec EGS in my ECE spec car and my S(port)-E(conomy)-M(anual) program switch is completely inactive.
    I'm currently trying to figure out what needs to be done to enable the 125 EGS to accept the three driving programs.
    Last edited by wokke; 03-17-2012 at 05:41 AM.

My Cars
    BMW 850CI 1993
    My 8 has no EDC. The question of the increase in fuel consumption due to the fact that driving in this mode is used only three speeds, so that the gear changes occur less frequently to keep the engine "fuller". I use the D-3 (sports) usually when I make a winding course, so that the car seems to respond more quickly to the accelerator. Undoubtedly, it is very pleasant to drive in Sport mode. Soon Wokke chips.

My Cars
    95 840Ci
    My car has EDC, this is for the suspension settings. Also on the center console, there is the A/M switch that controls whether the tranny is in auto or manual mode. I took the OP's question to mean the third option, which is this; when the shift position is in D, the display on the dash is E-D, Econo-mode Drive. When you pull it down to position 3, the display goes to S-3 Sport-mode 3rd grear. And yes, i do see fuel consumption go up. How could it not, it's more responsive to throttle input.

My Cars
    bmw 840 ci Sport
    i have regular drive, sport drive, or combat mode. (steptronic) and i use them all. i believe that if you don't use it, it will wither away and die.
    T

My Cars
    E31, E36/7, E61
    ^ +1:d

My Cars
    '98 840ci
    Quote Originally Posted by 84tsport View Post
    i use them all. i believe that if you don't use it, it will wither away and die.
    +1 again.

My Cars
    95 240SX SE, 95 E31 840
    only when getting on the highway...else it takes forever to accel.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackBox Tuning View Post
    only when getting on the highway...else it takes forever to accel.
    Because it's a Nissan?

My Cars
    840 ci
    I like knocking it into s (tiptronic) at the lights when someone 'wants a go !'....It makes me feel like MAD MAX.....

My Cars
    95 240SX SE, 95 E31 840
    Quote Originally Posted by wokke View Post
    Because it's a Nissan?
    oh you'er too funny, no the 840...my nissan makes 480ft/lbs (650 Nm) of torque at the rear wheels.

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    in your public profile you only mention the Nissan, not the BMW.

My Cars
    '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    No need to, I have WOKKE V2 chips in my 93's. The Black one even has a 3.91 LSD...

...varooooooom!

3.91 LSD with the 4speed auto?!

I just received this diff a few weeks ago, kind of excited to put it into the 8er.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast