Thread: E46 oil filter housing on E36?

My Cars
    03 Z4 / 12 X5

E46 oil filter housing on E36?

My oil filter housing is leaking on my 97 328iC. I just put in a new gasket thinking that's what it was, but mine is leaking from the two plugs at the back, which seems to be the norm.

I read somewhere on here that E46 OFH has the holes tapped and plugged, and that they don't leak. Are these OFHs a direct bolt-on for my M52?

I would even consider using an early E36 housing, where I can replace the o-rings behind the plugs. Mine are the ones where they are plugged with pressed and crimped plugs. Gah!

My Cars
    Too many
    Considering people use E46 M3 oil filter housings on e36 motors, I doubt there would be a problem with using it. Oil filter is the same, bolt look in the same place, gasket is the same.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    If you can't get the one that was designed for the car to work what makes you think one from a different engine will not leak?

Did you get the mating surfaces shiney clean? Did you use a torque wrench to tighten it? Over tightening could be your problem.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    The e46 housing works great on the e36. I picked mine up for 50 bucks brand new. For the money I paid it can't be beat vs repairing the freeze plugs on the old design. If you were to go out and purchase this part from the dealer with an e36 part number I'm pretty sure you would get the same piece or similar with the tapped screw plugs. I will say that I ended up rebuilding the vanos oil line myself with some hydraulic hose (for cost cutting). From what the dealer told me the two oil lines from the m52/m54 are not interchangable but I bet they would bolt up just fine.
    Last edited by Driiven; 03-17-2012 at 03:32 AM.

My Cars
    Too many
    Quote Originally Posted by flyfishvt View Post
    If you can't get the one that was designed for the car to work what makes you think one from a different engine will not leak?

Did you get the mating surfaces shiney clean? Did you use a torque wrench to tighten it? Over tightening could be your problem.
    It's not leaking from the gasket.. It's leaking from the plugs.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    Get the e46 housing, it was a cheap fix that won't leak for the life of the car. If and when it does you can service it quite easily as well.
    Last edited by Driiven; 03-17-2012 at 08:14 PM.

My Cars
    94 325i 5spd
    I have an extra e36 oil filter housing with the hex plug style. It supposdely came off a 94 325i. I was going to use it for my car because my plugs were leaking but when i took it apart i noticed the inside of the housing where the filter lives had some differences and didn't want to take a chance it wouldnt work (externally they looked the same except for the plug style). I ended up replacing the orings in the 2 plugs (mine is the style with the snapring and covers with orings) and its been fine, so i have this extra one with the hex plugs. If you think you might be interested in this let me know and I can get you pictures etc, probably 50 bucks plus shipping.

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    Hydraulic hose is often not temperature rated for engine oil. Keep an eye on it. Might get spongy and leak due to the heat.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    What would you recommend in that function as far as hose type for oil and psi rating ? I'm using 400 psi Oil cooler hose which seems to be overkill for this scenario? Worse comes to worse I can try to fit the stock vanos line in there but I liked the idea of the hose and clamps given it was free and wouldn't leak vs the stock garbage?
    Last edited by Driiven; 03-18-2012 at 12:36 AM.

My Cars
    Too many
    Buy a new OE one, they aren't that much and they last for at least 80k

My Cars
    1993 325i S52 Modded
    You know theres a DIY on reparing those plugs. I fixed mine. Cost me less than 10$. I think theres 2 different designs. Mine had orings. So i got new orings and then RTV'd it. Worked like a champ.
    Be A Baller: Go To The Dealer For Everything

Yay, the BMW crowd has now joined the VW crowd with the "Watch us do stupid things!" mentality.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joylove View Post
    Glovebox and centre console. Both as much use as tits on a fish.

My Cars
    97 M3
    I also foun d an e46 housing for $50 that I want to buy

My Cars
    1997 328is
    Bump. Just be 100% sure that the check valve is good. Oops. I had to order one from the russians. Vano-bmw.com I think. Looks good so far

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk