Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The schwarzes loch build - supercharged e36 convertible

My Cars
    Foreign
    clean

My Cars
    1997 E39 540i
    Super clean man! Keep it that way. What front lip is that?

540i/6 - My Tumblr - My Youtube

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by MetaGear Reborn View Post
    clean
    Thats my aim!
    Quote Originally Posted by imGreek View Post
    Super clean man! Keep it that way. What front lip is that?
    Its the reiger M3 GT look spoiler lip

'96 328iC, '96 328i, '89 s52 swapped 325i
    Shadetree30

My Cars
    1995 BMW 325i sedan
    Well damn cruise down to wildwood crest sometime ;-D

My Cars
    E34 M5, E91 328i, FZJ80
    I'm interested to see where you take the car! Your suspension looks gorgeous!
    Instagram @Restoration_Motorsport
    www.RestorationMotorsport.com
    -Nick

My Cars
    N55 135i
    super clean, reminds me of my first e36 when i was 16. you're doing it right!

My Cars
    1996 BMW 318i
    Thumbs up keep it up

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen325i View Post
    Well damn cruise down to wildwood crest sometime ;-D
    Hahaha thats a bit of a drive
    Quote Originally Posted by Butler View Post
    I'm interested to see where you take the car! Your suspension looks gorgeous!
    Thanks! It drives soooooo well. Much much better than stock, as you might imagine. Working on a set of spacers right now to finish out the visual changes for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by twhlax3 View Post
    super clean, reminds me of my first e36 when i was 16. you're doing it right!
    Thanks! I try very hard to keep it clean
    Quote Originally Posted by VincePit View Post
    Thumbs up keep it up

Shadetree30

My Cars
    2008 535i
    great job man!

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by cpalella View Post
    You are not kidding. I have yet to drive anything better than my e36. It is just so much fun to drive. Honestly, I think these cars beat out most new cars not just in the handling department... they are quick! And quite pretty! I just love the timeless lines and styling of the e36. Can't tell you how many times people assume the car is 4 years old at most LOL

And as I wrote above, I live very close to the NY border, next to the towns of Ridgewood, Waldwick, Saddle River (idk if you have heard of Ho-Ho-Kus which is the name of my town) Where are you at?? I would love to meet up some time.. see another e36
    Lol, Some lady hit my door last winter and while it was strictly cosmetic (but a major PITA) her husband was talking to me and goes..."What year is your car? 2007?" He couldn't believe me when I told him it was a '99. Massive ego boost (Unfortunately the only kind of boost regarding my car ) Haha

I'm in Northern NJ as well, I think I'm about 20-30 mins from Saddle River...I'll send you a PM with my info.

My Cars
    718 Spyder, 535i, XC90
    Quote Originally Posted by WTFPENGUIN View Post
    I think every owner of an e36 say that at one point

I like 2nd round, I'd ditch the halos, and get either a lip or an m3 bumper
    What he said.
    718 Spyder, XC90 T8, 535i, Subaru Impreza

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    ~~~~Updates!!!~~~~

Since my last posting I have been very very busy . . . I was back at school, working an internship and beginning and finishing my thesis. Now that I have graduated, I will take some time to relax, and work on the car of course! (on a side note, to anyone working within the logistics field, I would love to get in contact, shoot me a PM if you feel so inclined, I have graduated with a bachelor of science in International Logistics Management and Engineering from Jacobs University in Bremen, Germany)

Back to the car!

Since the last update I have added proper wheel spacers and studs as well as a slight rear fender roll (noticeable in pictures later), refurbished the vanos system with the beisan systems kit, got a ZHP shift knob (painted the silver band black, not pictured yet) a 3.23 LSD, M50 manifold, ASC delete with samco elbow, deleted the cyclone oil separator and dumping CCV to atmosphere for the moment until a catch can arrives (cyclone was completely clogged up putting oil in the intake manifold), fixed a nasty gouge in the lip from a rock or something on the highway, finally trimmed the fuel rail cover to fit the M50 mani, deleted the SAP (it was throwing codes , CEL was on) and made my own SAP simulator according to plans/diagrams posted on forums (simple google search turns up a lot of info), also throughout my work in the engine bay I tried to neaten up wires and hoses along the way, I hope its visible in the pictures, and from the end of last summer I also did a little fooling around with the lights and angel eye mounting to make them a little less noticeable when they are switched off.

The plans in the works (literally) are a UUC RSC36 exhaust, refurbished M3 steering wheel from tainik on ebay and 17x8 squared BBS RKs front offset 35 rear 40 (will also add appropriate spacers and studs to compliment them). The wheel is in the mail somewhere between here and Germany, the exhaust is either finishing production at corsa or in the mail (they are apparently made to order) and the RKs are being repainted and restored, done on Tuesday. So to say the least, I am very very excited!! And again, a big shout out to my friend Ray for helping me with all of the work as well as assembling all the parts . . . could not do it without him. He also just got a stunningly beautiful henna E30 M3 of which I will post a couple pictures (I will try to get him to do a proper photo shoot soon).

Next steps for the coming weeks are s52 cams, probably the “shark injector” software from turner specific to cams, manifold and exhaust, and then some small things such as new 3rd brake light (its dying)painting some trim where the rear edge of the convertible top meets the body of the car when the top is up (it’s a bit worn in places with bare metal showing), a full polishing and sealing to correct for small swirling after the years’ worth of washing (and an unfortunately unavoidable trip to the local hand wash following getting caught in a snow storm and plowing a couple of roads with my front end :’( ), a faulty wheel speed sensor or two (ABS light is on as well as traction control light) . . . (on another side note, does anyone know if traction control has something to do with wheel speed sensors? I attached the appropriate resistor after deleting ASC but now the light is on), the handbrake boot and handle need some love aka replacement to match the new shift knob, boot, and steering wheel, and I will probably ditch the carbon fiber emblems in favor of the natural OE BMW badging J

Now on to pictures!! Comments and criticism are of course welcome (just be nice, she is my baby) and as always, bear with me on the photos . . . all taken with the trusty canon 6 mp point and shoot

Spacers and studs are installed

Here you can see . . . much better than before J

Beisan systems vanos repair

Tying back the fan shroud

Looked pretty clean to me for a motor with 110000 miles on it. This was the first time I opened any part of the engine so it was nice to see confirmation of what I had thought all along . . . this car had been taken care of for its life. No sludge whatsoever, everything was nice and clean under the valve cxover. (unless I have missed something and someone can tell me something that I have missed)

Valve cover looked clean too

Vanos module is out

Vanos module

And everything back together again

Next is the removal of the cyclone oil/air separator

It is a bit difficult to see, and I already cleaned a bit before taking the picture, but there was quite a bit of oil sitting in the bottom of the manifold

CCV goes right down to the ground for the moment, will be changed shortly . . . I don’t really like the idea of dripping oil to the world. And I removed the left manifold bracket, but kept the right bracket and part of the bracket to which the cyclone was mounted to keep a sturdy mount for the ICV and the oil dipstick

And I trimmed the fuel rail cover finally!!
    Before

After

3.23 LSD gets installed and filled with the BMW diff fluid (expensive!!!!!!!)

There she is!

Cover

Gearing

Out with the old 2.93 open diff . . . also had to swap the output flanges

Next I fixed the nasty gouge in the front lip, occurred at the end of last summer due to a rock or some other debris on the highway or somewhere

I forgot to take a photo of how it looked before any sanding, but here, after 120 grit, it already looked much better, you can’t tell from the shot, but it was more than just surface scratching, quite a chunk was taken out

After wetsanding with 120, 220, 320, 400, 500, 600, 800, 1000 and then novus 3 heavy scratch remover it looked like this, a bit shinier than regular, but I think only I will notice from here on

Next move was removing the SAP and making a SAP simulator

Workbench nice and neat with all the parts . . . doesn’t stay clean for long :P

The offending party has been removed!!! Get it out!!

I found my missing screw cover, I wonder how long that has been there

How does all that junk get in there?!?!

SAP sim finished (not my best work at all, but it works, and I won’t post a picture of the soldering . . . it was ugly)

My solution to getting rid of the DRL in the corner lenses, completely reversible in case I ever want them back

SAP sim all wired up

Noted the connections in case I ever have to go back to it

After the first washing, light detailing (wax, windows, bumper trim, tire shine etc.) I took some pictures, didn’t really have any of the car at its present setup as it will be changing a little bit in the coming weeks

Here you can se the more disguised angel eyes, I made a post about it some time ago if anyone is interested in further information

And then I drove around to find somewhere to take some arsty pictures . . . I didn’t think they were half bad . . .

And finally now I think I am up to date on the activity of the past months. I will try to keep updating here as I go along and hopefully I will be seeing some of the cars on this forum at bimmerfest east. I plan to drive with a caravan early in the morning to stay for the day.

Here are some teaser pictures of the RKs, wheel and exhaust

I actually first tried a set of squared Schnitzers from my friend Ray’s new E30 M3. If I remember correctly, they were all 17x8.5 et13. The offset was too aggressive for me. Probably would have fit with some moderate to serious fender rolling, but that kind of irreversible modification isn’t really my thing.

Test fitting the RKs before sending them to be refinished

Corsa RSC36

Steering wheel from tainik

Again, comments and criticism are welcome. I hope you enjoy!!

Shadetree30

My Cars
    Cars
    Wow man I'm envious.. and jealous, I wish I was this handy with cars and had the funds! My first car which I got a year ago is also a black vert, hopefully it'll end up this clean someday. It's nice to see that you did the right things first like maintenance, etc, something I wish I should've done. Car is lookin sweet with those rks.

My Cars
    2001 540i E39
    That car is really getting the attention it deserves. Nice work! Can't wait to see those BBS RK's refinished. There going to look great on that car.
    e39 2001 540i 142,xxx miles - CAI, Redline MTL, Bilstein Sport w/H&R Sport, m60 manifold, 10w AA, Hankook ventus v12, and maintenance

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by acbx View Post
    Wow man I'm envious.. and jealous, I wish I was this handy with cars and had the funds! My first car which I got a year ago is also a black vert, hopefully it'll end up this clean someday. It's nice to see that you did the right things first like maintenance, etc, something I wish I should've done. Car is lookin sweet with those rks.
    Thanks!!! This has been a work in progress for almost 4 years now, slowly building up to what you see here. And let me tell you, when I first got it, I was pretty handy to begin with, but all that wiring, all those hoses under the hood... scary stuff, but not so much anymore, just took some patience and experience You will get there. I absolutely can't wait to have the RKs back and on the car, I think it will look stunning!!

Quote Originally Posted by Silverlight View Post
    That car is really getting the attention it deserves. Nice work! Can't wait to see those BBS RK's refinished. There going to look great on that car.
    Thank you! It has been a lot a lot a lot of work on so many little things so that everything looks fresh. I can't wait to have the RKs on it either

Shadetree30

My Cars
    '95 E36
    Wow, great build, man! Tastly done too. Wish I had done half as much in my 11 years E36 ownership
    '95 E36 318tdS:
    Bilstein Sport shocks; x-brace; H&R front sway bar; camber shims; M3 offset LCABs; Meyle HD LCAs; Z3 RSM reinforcement plates; ZHP shift knob.

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by metale View Post
    Wow, great build, man! Tastly done too. Wish I had done half as much in my 11 years E36 ownership
    thanks!! The whole plan I follow is to keep it as OEM looking as possible, so it looks (to the untrained eye) as if it might have rolled out of a BMW dealership

Shadetree30

My Cars
    I take the bus to work.
    great job on the car!
    -M3J0N

My Cars
    94 bmw 325i
    looking good, but should lower it a bit more.. Did you need spacers to clear the front? I just bought a set of style 30s for spares.

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by m3j0n View Post
    great job on the car!
    Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by JE BMW View Post
    looking good, but should lower it a bit more.. Did you need spacers to clear the front? I just bought a set of style 30s for spares.
    Nahhh I like it where it is, I think it looks right at this height, not to mention any lower would just be impossible to drive around jersey. I scrape the lip going in and out of my driveway about half the time as it is...
    I was rubbing a tiny bit in the front after the new suspension, but it wasn't anything serious

Shadetree30

My Cars
    Cars
    Just curious what else do you have planned exterior wise? I'm actually starting to like that lip on the vert, never seen it before on a vert I always thought it was too outrageous for the vert, but I want one for my car now the more I look at it.

Jkpgt96 is offline One of those JZ swappers BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    2JZ 95 M3
    Did you not use the lock blocks for the cams on the banks refurb? Or are they just not in those pics? Car has come a long way and looks great!
    1995 M3 - Forged 9.8:1 2JZ, S366, MS3x, E85, LQ9s, 420g/PMC Motorsport kit, 4 clutch 3.15 LSD Large Case 757whp/710wtq
    2011 X5 Xdrive35d- Blk on Cinnamon, Towing Pkg, Heat Pkg., etc..the tow rig/DD!

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by acbx View Post
    Just curious what else do you have planned exterior wise? I'm actually starting to like that lip on the vert, never seen it before on a vert I always thought it was too outrageous for the vert, but I want one for my car now the more I look at it.
    Not much else for the exterior besides wheels, RKs are currently being refinished and I think I will return the roundels to original blue and white, but that is it. And I have to be honest, I think the lip looks quite good on the vert, it kind of helps it to achieve a really low road hugging look if you know what I mean, looks even better in person. DO IT
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkpgt96 View Post
    Did you not use the lock blocks for the cams on the banks refurb? Or are they just not in those pics? Car has come a long way and looks great!
    I did, just didn't include a picture Thank you!

- - - Updated - - -

Some new updates.

I finally finished deleting the SAP, removed the valve, plugged the hole in the manifold and got rid of the hardline around the front of the motor, and will delete the switch, wiring and additional vacuum lines under the manifold soon. Also made a plate from some left over aluminum to cover the hole the SAP left.

And while the wheels are being refinished, I decided to clean up the caps a little bit

What a tease!!!!!!!! I can not wait to get those wheels back!!!!!

Honestly the pictures do not do it justice, this wheel is absolutely amazing. So perfect, entirely worth the near 6 week wait. It really transformed the interior of the car from ok to awesome I love it to say the least.

I also painted the silver band on the ZHP knob black, was never a fan of the silver ring in the e36, just doesn't look right. I think I will repaint it in a semi gloss though.

And a UUC clutch stop, will probably replace the clutch pedal bushing soon too to reduce the slop in the pedal

Shadetree30

My Cars
    2001 BMW M5
    Wow it has come a long way! It looks great now
    2001 Titanium Silver BMW M5
    Ultimate Klasse

My Cars
    '96 328iC, '89 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by lilwhitepanda View Post
    Wow it has come a long way! It looks great now
    Thanks i agree, I absolutely love it now... this is what I always imagined the car should look like (just waiting on the RKs and Corsa to complete that)

Shadetree30

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast