Thread: Weird no start issue

My Cars
    2005 STi

Weird no start issue

Well this is really weird yesterday my car ran fine and everything with no problems what so ever. I let the car sit overnight and apparently the electrical gremlins have attacked.

When trying to start the car the starter its self doesn't attempt to turn the engine over. No clicks or anything. all of the other electronics in the car work fine though: radio, lights, windows, etc. I first checked the battery and that's reading at 13.5v so that should be ok. I started with checking all the fuses and they are all fine, checked the fusible link and that's fine. On a whim I even replaced the starter and that didn't do anything. Still the same issue. I searched in all of the places I could think of for the starter immobilizer relay but couldn't find it. I checked in the drivers kick panel but I only have the two pink ABS relays there. I then checked in the fuse box but it's not there either.

I'm completely stumped here any help will be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: and for anybody that doesn't know, I'm not using the BMW DME I'm using Megasquirt and I went through that with the laptop and that's fine.
    E92 M3-1 by Arlen Liverman, on Flickr

My Cars
    BMW X5, Lotus
    Had a similar issue with my Audi. Turn the key and the lights would light up, but the starter wouldn't turn over. AAA came and the guy tried banging on the starter but that didn't work, so they flatbedded my quattro home. Once at home, before taking the starter out I tried hot wiring the car to start it. Clip my remote starter to the starter solenoid and place the ignition key in the run position. Hit the remote starter and the engine crank and soon it was running. Knowing that the starter was o.k. I traced the starter circuit and found a break in the circuit between the starter relay and the starter solenoid. Replace the harness that connected these two items and problem solved.
    Quote Originally Posted by GarrettSR5 View Post
    Hate to admit it but attack_eagle is right.
    Quote Originally Posted by SpiritofBavaria View Post
    ............. then upallnight has probably got it right
    Spirit

My Cars
    2005 STi
    Thanks for the reply. I'm dreading having to trace the starter wiring. I just don't get why I've searched all of the places but I can't find the starter relay.
    E92 M3-1 by Arlen Liverman, on Flickr