My Cars
    2007 X3, 1976 2002

X3 tailgate lock repair with excellent service.

On Friday, I experienced a broken tail/lift gate lock. It would not lock and the tailgate could open while driving. I externally examined the lock's lever manually moving it with ease. The lock would not engage. I drove to the local dealer where they removed the trim, examined the lock and found the metal latch broken. This was surprising since we closed it carefully and never stuffed the back with items. I had the dealer order the part since it was not in stock. They taped the liftgate shut preventing it from opening. They also disconnected the lights to avoid draining the battery while I waited over the weekend. I was quoted a $368 price for labor and parts. I later found the lock ranges from $101-$126 via the Net at an out-of-state dealer. I could have done a DIY but this occurred while I was driving around with my kids doing chores.
    I printed photos of a lock, diagrams, prices I found, the URLs and emailed it to the service advisor. The part arrived at the dealer on Monday. The service advisor said the part I found online may not be a 'certified' BMW part since the BMW part number was not noted on the site. I pointed out that the liftgate expanded diagram looked like an authentic BMW illustration. He found the part# 51-24-7-201-561 and its listed price $233. I questioned whether a BMW dealer in another state would sell 'generic' unauthorized parts. I emphasized my 'good customer' credentials and added I was unemployed but still needed the liftgate lock to be replaced. In conclusion, they matched the $101.04 online price I presented. The labor was $135 for an hour's work and the total bill was lower than the initial estimate. Great customer service as I left with a locking liftgate, newly washed car, fresh coffee and bagels with cream cheese from the Car Cafe. Excellent dealer http://www.bmwrox.com/index.htm
    Last edited by RockyMtn2002; 03-12-2012 at 07:30 PM.