Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's a good aluminum floor jack?

My Cars
    84 318i

What's a good aluminum floor jack?

I am looking to get an aluminum floor jack in the 1.5 to 2.0 ton range. Anyone have any good experiences with one?

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Harbor Freight makes some actually decent aluminum jacks. The cheapest one is about $59 on sale, and lifts to about 14", not that high but its great for oil changes and changing tires. For $129 they have one that lifts to 18" I believe. The small one is about 35 lbs so its very easy to carry and handle.

As always, once the car is up in the air, be sure to set it down on top of some quality jackstands. Never use the jack alone!

You can also search on the forum for "harbor freight jack" its been talked about plenty.

My Cars
    87 325is
    The Sears aluminum jack is good.
    The car makes it possible, but the driver makes it happen.
    Jim Levie, Huntsville, AL

My Cars
    VW TDI and Dodge Dart
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post
    That's what I have. It may be possible to get lighter or better quality aluminum jacks, but the price was right and I've had it for about seven years or so with nothing to complain about.
    Matt Cramer
    1997 BMW 328i convertible, 1972 Chevy C10 pickup, 1966 Dodge Dart slant six
    BMW - where "Why doesn't everybody build cars the way they do?" meets "Why can't they build a car the same way everyone else does it?"

My Cars
    hiss by my window
    Quote Originally Posted by thejlevie View Post

Probably the same Chinese jack Harbor Freight sells.
    HF currently has the aluminum rapid pump model on sale for $69.
    I bought one a while back after decades using a 50# service jack. This thing is a flyweight, does the same job and lifts quicker. We'll see if it lasts 30 years, or I do.

My Cars
    99 328is, 84 M54 E30
    I've had one of the HF ones for a while now (the smaller one I believe), no issues with regular home DIYer use.

As always, whenever you're under the car, throw a jack stand under it too. These jacks can and do fail.
    PM me for info on properly working AC and CEL for your S54 or M54 swapped car.

My Cars
    1991 318is
    The only disadvantage of a HF jack would be a possibly higher failure rate. Buy the warranty for 6 bucks and if it breaks, they give you a new one. Safety shouldn't be an issue as you should NEVER be under a car without jackstands.

My Cars
    E30/325i, E39/M5, E36/M3
    I have had a Torin from Northern Tool for the last four years or so. No problems with it so far.

My Cars
    98 328IS 03 325xi
    I've got a HF 1.5 ton one, so far so good.

Gave away my BMWs, driving a VW and an Audi now.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k

My Cars
    84 318i
    Which Torin aluminum jack did hyou get?

My Cars
    E30/E36/E46
    Pittsburg low profile harbor freight jack for 59.95 is the BEST jack for the money, its cheap light and I have been using many of them in my shop....
    Current:

2000 528i sport 5 spd
    1989 535i hoopty
    1992 735iL 5spd Turbo
    ripstick

Past:
    lots and lots

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I have one HF 1.5 ton $60 aluminum jack that is 5 years old now. I like it so much I bought another one over a year ago. Both are doing great. I did have to replace a caster on the older one a couple of years ago. If money is not an object, a name brand jack is probably better. Sears, Torin, etc -- check Northern Tool and other catalogs for brand names and specs.

My Cars
    2017 330i Wagon
    http://www.harborfreight.com/interes...ump-68052.html

I bought this with a 3 year warranty and its ridiculously good. Super light, quick lift, and is very smooth bringing the car down. Dont go small IMO, the bigger one fits further under the car and lifts higher when needed.

My Cars
    Avus Cosmos Calypso!
    I bought a 3 ton aluminum craftsman two years ago and it's still working well. It doesn't raise the car as fast as the other jack I have - AFF 2 ton steel jack but the sears jack allows for easier modulation when lowering the car. The AFF is a double pumper model vs the single for the craftsman. I'm pretty happy with both. I will say that it's good to have a jack with a rubber lifting pad though (which the craftsman does not have). If I didn't have either I would go for a HF or OTC jack. Double pumper jacks are pretty good though.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Quote Originally Posted by kensington View Post
    http://www.harborfreight.com/interes...ump-68052.html

I bought this with a 3 year warranty and its ridiculously good. Super light, quick lift, and is very smooth bringing the car down. Dont go small IMO, the bigger one fits further under the car and lifts higher when needed.
    I've had mine 4 years now without a problem. Beats my 50lbs shop jack hands down. Easier to move around. Only time will tell if it's as durable. The 50lbs jack has been in the family 30yrs. Change to oil occasionally and the seals, and it keeps on working.

My Cars
    E30/325i, E39/M5, E36/M3
    Quote Originally Posted by alpinewhite318i View Post
    Which Torin aluminum jack did hyou get?
    This is the one I have...I thought it was a good value.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1974_200221974

My Cars
    98 Turbo M3, 04 E53 X5
    I hate to bump this back from the dead but....

you guys that are using the aluminum jacks...does the jack fit under your lowered cars?

98 Fern Green M3/2 - Precision 6870/AR Designs Twin Scroll/RK/E85
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmaxx - Family Whip
    2011 Pierce 75' Quint - Fire Apparatus West Islip FD

My Cars
    2003 BMW 540iA
    Quote Originally Posted by NY98M3 View Post

you guys that are using the aluminum jacks...does the jack fit under your lowered cars?
    Depends on the height and length of the jack.

I have a 03 540iA with the full M-Tech treatment, so there is only 4" under my belly pan. Any jack I use, I have either put one or both wheels on ramps, or lift one corner then either use a jackstand or place some pieces of wood under a tire and lower the car on it. For either method, then move the jack to the center jack point and lift the entire front end. Then do that all again to get it down.

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    Short answer: You need to first drive up on a plank, even with low profile jack.

Any not use ramps?? What length jack to get to jack block under engine??
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1793560

Driveway DIY: Ideal way to lift the car? (Jack stands, service jacks, trolley, etc)
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1758233

TOOLS
    http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum...92&postcount=2

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Just measure the lowest point on your car, and make sure you get a jack that is shorter. I have the Craftsman aluminum racing jack and I used to have the Harbor Freight ones and they all fit under lowered cars. Slammed? You'll need a 2x10 to drive on for any jack to work.

My Cars
    Ford cmax 2013
    I have OTC Aluminum Racing Jack Kit . This is a really nice high end all aluminum floor jack. You tend to get what you pay for here. It is very easy to move around and you can get it up to full height in just 5 or 6 quick pumps. What a really nice design here by OTC products on this two-ton floor jack.The best thing about this jack was how incredibly lightweight it is. It is made of mostly heavy duty aluminum construction

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    I use the Harbor Freight 1.5 ton Jack's that go on sale for $59. Had some for years. If you don't need portability, buy a bigger one but you will pay more. I have a 3 ton steel jack that came from Sam's club about 10 years ago. Says Michelin on it but it's a $79 Chinese jack. Works great. HF sells steel jacks as well.

My Cars
    '98 ti (M powered)
    I was going to get one of the HF aluminum jacks just so I had something lighter to drag around in the car when I need it remotely (such as working at work rather than home).

Anyway, I checked all the aluminum offerings out, including the lowest price model (which I think was 1-ton). It is still rather heavy...

I ended up going with the (less expensive) steel small jack. It is also lighter than the smallest aluminum one. Only $60 and 1.5 ton I think (maybe only 1 ton but unless you are lifting all four wheels off the ground, you probably don't need a 2-ton jack).

Now I have a 5 ton I think bottle jack in the Land Rover and a 2 or 3 ton floor jack rolling around the house for work at home. Those are both steel and quite heavy.

Anyway, just thought I'd mention that. HF doesn't push the cheap-o steel jack; I suspect they make more margin on the "aluminum race jacks".
    "Speed's just a question of money. How fast you 'wanna go?"

PM me for E36 engine swap books and BMW ETMs! NOW SHIPPING!!!

My Cars
    1996 328i vert
    Quote Originally Posted by NY98M3 View Post

This is a great point, mine is approximately 3.25" from ground right now, no Jack slides under, requires a platform or ramp. I bought the schwaben insert Jack arm, but you need the soft rubber pad on the Jack and the insert kills another 1" on lift. For some time now, I use the stock single post Jack lift it a little too get the quick Jack under, prop the engine rail under the belly, which is closer to the middle of the car and then prop the outer point. It's a bit of a Jimmy, but it works and it's safe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast