Thread: Zionsville's radiator shroud...

My Cars
    '01 330Ci

Zionsville's radiator shroud...

with integrated expansion tank. Anyone have/using one? How about with an aftermarket radiator? Electric fan? I'd like to ask a few questions.
    "It takes character to withstand the rigors of ignorance."

My Cars
    1997 m3 4dr - e28.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Sozo View Post
    with integrated expansion tank. Anyone have/using one? How about with an aftermarket radiator? Electric fan? I'd like to ask a few questions.

this seems like a cool product for under 300 bucks, ive seen pics of one on a mishimoto radiator and it looked right. deleting the plastic expansion tank is the selling point for me, and fitting an electric fan perfectly is a huge plus.

still i know i could make this for alot cheaper, but im worried about correctly implementing the expansion tank.

My Cars
    1995 M3, 1985 745i , S13 240sx sr20det
    Does look interesting, but once you add on fan and wiring total cost will be over $500. Might only make coolant 1 degree colder and gain 1 horsepower for all we know.

95 BMW M3 Alpine-
    <GO...JIC Cross Coilovers- UUC RCAB, AKG FCAB, Rogue Engineering TM bushings- AA Gen3 Exhaust- Dinan F&R Strut Bars- Dinan F&R Sway Bars- X-Brace- Mishimoto Rad- BBS RK 17x8"- TRM Chip- Dinan BBTB- DIY CAI- JP Performance Headers- 21.5 injectors- JB Racing Flywheel- Bimmerworld TB boot- 540i MAF><SHOW...OE euro clear exterior lights- Depo w/ HID- Hurricane Alcantara interior- Stereo (Kenwood,Sony,MB Quart,Rockford Fosgate,JL Audio)- Black kidneys- Euro 3 Spoke- ZHP Knob- AutoDim Mirror>

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    nothing better than buying a 280$ shroud only to have to drill holes in it so it will fit.

oh and the fact that its overpriced and limits airflow through the entire surface of the radiator.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si

My Cars
    '10 M3; '98 M3; '97 M3
    I have the Zionsville shroud with fan delete, OEM radiator, spal fan... results are outstanding - even in 90+ weather oil temp never >220 F.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    I have read of two instances of cracked expansion tank welds on these units as well as a check coolant level obc issue on this forum. Anyone care to chime in on these matters

My Cars
    '95 M3, '17 Civic Si
    ah yes, the check coolant level........I'm not sure why it happens but in my experience with it on my old car that message would flash at startup and at shutoff...It would not stay during running of the engine though........I have no theories as to why this happens but I don't believe this is a concern because the geometry of the Zionsville tank and the OEM one are different
    -Rich-

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    for the money they are asking it is a concern imho on anything but a track car

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    look at all the air flow it blocks!

My Cars
    1999 TiAg M3, 2003 E46M3
    I have this shroud + SPAL fan + Mishimoto radiator and couldn't be happier with the setup.

1999 ///M3 TiAg | Heated Power Vaders | DDM Projector36 5000K 55W HIDs | DDM 3000K 35W HID Fogs
    DDM Smoked Corners | DDM Weighted Shift Knob | K&N CAI | Mishimoto AL Rad w/Zionsville AL Shroud
    Stewart HiPo Water Pump | Samco Hose Kit | 16" SPAL Puller Fan | Viper 5701LE Security
    E36 OBC is now open! Join the effort: BF.C Thread | openOBC Wiki

My Cars
    numerous
    Does the zionsville expansion tank have the same baffles as stock? I think the stock expansion tank keeps the system properly bled. One of the reasons I went with the euro location to avoid having to bleed alltogether..

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by Junk View Post
    Does the zionsville expansion tank have the same baffles as stock? I think the stock expansion tank keeps the system properly bled. One of the reasons I went with the euro location to avoid having to bleed alltogether..
    Its same set up as OE just with aluminum. It doesnt self bleed and is a waste of money.

Euro overflow ftw (see sig link). I just add coolant while the car is running. It takes oll of 3 minutes to bleed the system. I love it.

My Cars
    M3 Buildup
    mpc do you deal with the check coolant level issue others have reported ?

My Cars
    1995 bmw m3
    I've had the Zionsville setup since last June while in Oklahoma . I went all out with the dual speed fan option and all . This was my "guinea pig" for my 2001 740i Sport, which I will get this same set up for later on this year . Last summer my coolant level sensor suddenly leaked all my precious blue fluid all over my jobs parking lot . I'm stranded . Since day one after the install was complete, I haven't had any problems what-so-ever . I get the Low Coolant message on the OBC, but trust me its a dummy message , coolant level is constant . Last year Oklahoma had over 90 days of 100 degree plus days in a row . I think that was a record for that area of the country . The Zionsville setup worked flawless throughout the summers heat . Last summer I drove from OK to GA, absolutley no issues . Now I'm in Utah from OK, again no issues . In very cold weather it will take a little longer to warm you up but thats because of the larger amount of coolant it holds . Last year in the 115-125 degee heat she never broke a sweat, neither did I . No leaks or anything . From my ongoing experience with the Zionsville radiatior w/two stage fan option, just get it and forget all of your cooling worries . If you are strapped for cash, the other radiator options mentioned in this thread should work for you also.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by WATTSBMW3 View Post
    In very cold weather it will take a little longer to warm you up but thats because of the larger amount of coolant it holds
    Sorry but that isnt because of increased fluid......its because its colder out.

My Cars
    1998 M3 Sedan
    I've had the Zionsville setup since last June while in Oklahoma . I went all out with the dual speed fan option and all . This was my "guinea pig" for my 2001 740i Sport, which I will get this same set up for later on this year . Last summer my coolant level sensor suddenly leaked all my precious blue fluid all over my jobs parking lot . I'm stranded . Since day one after the install was complete, I haven't had any problems what-so-ever . I get the Low Coolant message on the OBC, but trust me its a dummy message , coolant level is constant . Last year Oklahoma had over 90 days of 100 degree plus days in a row . I think that was a record for that area of the country . The Zionsville setup worked flawless throughout the summers heat . Last summer I drove from OK to GA, absolutley no issues . Now I'm in Utah from OK, again no issues . In very cold weather it will take a little longer to warm you up but thats because of the larger amount of coolant it holds . Last year in the 115-125 degee heat she never broke a sweat, neither did I . No leaks or anything . From my ongoing experience with the Zionsville radiatior w/two stage fan option, just get it and forget all of your cooling worries . If you are strapped for cash, the other radiator options mentioned in this thread should work for you also.
    Quote Originally Posted by FerM3 View Post
    Sorry but that isnt because of increased fluid......its because its colder out.
    Umm... I think its obvious he meant it will take longer to warm up than stock due to more fluid and a surface area than stock.

Also, a shroud directs air, it does not block it.

My Cars
    99 M3, 16' x35d, 09 128i
    Quote Originally Posted by cstern71 View Post
    Umm... I think its obvious he meant it will take longer to warm up than stock due to more fluid and a surface area than stock.

Also, a shroud directs air, it does not block it.
    He doesnt mention it taking longer than normal to warm up when it isnt cold out does he?

The more fluid one has the longer it will take to heat up. But even with a half gallon, can you tell me how much longer it would take to warm the car up compared to the stock set up? Itd take longer to heat up in the heat as well, not just the cool days but nothing noticeable.
    Last edited by FerM3; 03-11-2012 at 11:31 PM.

My Cars
    1995 bmw m3
    Even in the summer it took a little longer to heat up than with the OE setup . I'm talking maybe 4-5 minutes longer . Again, in well over 100 degree heat with crazy humidity . I didn't and won't get all scientific with it all BUT again, the Zionsville is an option that will definitely ease all of your cooling conerns . It sure did mine . I'd highly recommend the two stage fan option . The heat that my electric fan blows from under the car while at idle is enormous .

My Cars
    '01 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by m2pc View Post
    I have this shroud + SPAL fan + Mishimoto radiator and couldn't be happier with the setup.
    Ah...finally, an answer. Ok, so how was the fitment? OEM? Or did you have to make ANY modifications? I have the Mishimoto. Plan on the Spal kit. I'm trying to justify $300+ for the shroud. I'm just sick and tired of the damned plastic cooling components fm BMW!

Again, any modification of any kind? And "thanks" btw, WATTS!
    Last edited by Sozo; 03-12-2012 at 02:21 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    "It takes character to withstand the rigors of ignorance."

My Cars
    1995 bmw m3
    The fitment is perfect, just like OE . The spacing between the pully & the electric fan is adequate . Also, there is a handy little peacock at the bottom of the radiator for draining . With the dual stage fan option will have to find a place for the extra resisitors and such. This isn't hard to do . I had a small piece of sheet metal cut with them attached in the rear of the engine compartment, on the passenger side, close to the battery conn. Again, everything works flawless .

My Cars
    95 840ci 6sp,00 750iLV12
    Do you have any tips on bleeding the zionsville system.
    WATTSBMW3

Sent from my SM-G970U1 using Tapatalk

My Cars
    Too many to list
    I have the zionsville super duty cooling system on my e38 and it's incredible. Gorgeous build quality too. No experience with their e36 products but I would assume they are top notch too.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk