Thread: Noise??? Replacement... Wheel bearing??? Tyres???

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL E38

Noise??? Replacement... Wheel bearing??? Tyres???

Ok, this is the problem...

Long story short...

Few days ago I drove my E38 around... As I gain speed, especially around 80km/h, I've heard this annoying noise* + vibration on my feet**, coming from the right-front wheel area(driver side).

But as I drove faster, maybe above 100km/h or maybe more than 110km/h, I realised that noise & vibration becomes less, but not gone...

On a long smooth highway, I swerved my car to the left and right, just to check and make few tests. Then I realised that noise and vibration completely gone, especially when I swerved my car to the right???

I've asked around and some said it could be my tyre... could be the wheel bearing... and some said about replacing the steering rod or something...

Any of you guys here have any ideas or comments or experience this before??? Need more info, just ask

I know there's a lot of expert in here

*(I don't know how to explain/spell how the noise sounds like, but for me its sounds like if your bearing need replacement.)

**(small/mini/few not usual vibration... well I guess you all know what I mean when something just not suppose to be there)

2000 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    735i 2001 E38
    Jack up the car, take the wheel off, press the caliper back so the pads don't rub, puy the wheel back on and spin it, if you don;'t hear a grinding sound bearing is good

Have a technical question, don't send me a PM but post it on the board so others can benefit from it!

My Cars
    '95 740IL, '01 740I Spor
    I'd suggest balancing your tires and rotate them if they're the same on all four corners. If it does the same my guess would be it's the wheel bearings. Just my .02

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL E38

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin NL View Post
    Jack up the car, take the wheel off, press the caliper back so the pads don't rub, puy the wheel back on and spin it, if you don;'t hear a grinding sound bearing is good

Ow ok... Will do that "testing" a.s.a.p. around this week...
    Thanks for the tips though

Quote Originally Posted by motion View Post
    I'd suggest balancing your tires and rotate them if they're the same on all four corners. If it does the same my guess would be it's the wheel bearings. Just my .02

...or even better, I'll change both front tyres since both does need to be replace though... My rear tyres are still in superb condition... Then lets see if that "problem" still exist

Thanks for the suggestion though
    Last edited by msk2705; 03-07-2012 at 08:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

2000 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    Nissan 240sx/2000 740IL
    Bad wheel bearings are not always going to make a noise and to check a wheel bearing u grab the wheel at 12 oclock and 6 oclock and move it in and out while keeping the wheel in a fixed position looking for any play in the assembly. If u dont have directional tires I would swap the front wheels left to right and test drive. If the noise moves to the other side of the car then you know the problem is in the wheel assembly.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL E38
    Quote Originally Posted by goldollar View Post
    Bad wheel bearings are not always going to make a noise and to check a wheel bearing u grab the wheel at 12 oclock and 6 oclock and move it in and out while keeping the wheel in a fixed position looking for any play in the assembly. If u dont have directional tires I would swap the front wheels left to right and test drive. If the noise moves to the other side of the car then you know the problem is in the wheel assembly.

Ow ok, thanks for the tips... Will be tryin' that later...

2000 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    When you switched lanes to the right and the noise went away, thats a clear indication of a bad right wheel bearing.

As a simple test switch front tires left to right and ill bet the sound is still there. Thats because of the bad wheel bearing.

Dont re-pack the bearing with fresh greese but replace the bearing with new one.
    Last edited by KGB7; 03-09-2012 at 12:27 AM.

My Cars
    2000 BMW 740iL E38
    Quote Originally Posted by KGB7 View Post
    When you switched lanes to the right and the noise went away, thats a clear indication of a bad right wheel bearing.

As a simple test switch front tires left to right and ill bet the sound is still there. Thats because of the bad wheel bearing.

Dont re-pack the bearing with fresh greese but replace the bearing with new one.
    You got it right KGB7.

So... Just to end what I've started, long story short, brought my car to the workshop, jack it up (on the right side), turn the wheel, and that "noise" does exist. The mechanic even jack up & turn the left wheel, just to be sure, and nothing.

Below, the pics of the front/right wheel bearing that had been taken off and replaced.

Before we took this bearing off (after removing the brake disc), we even try to turn it, and yeah, it sound terribly "dry"

So, replaced it with a new one, done!!!
    This process of replacing the old with new one just took around 50-55 minutes, or less...

Ow about that "vibration"??? Both front tyres just need to be balanced... Both problem done in 2 hours time(+/-) and I'm a happy man

My E38 is as good as new

THANKS ALL FOR YOUR CONTRIBUTION AND IDEAS
    Last edited by msk2705; 03-20-2012 at 12:44 PM.

2000 BMW 740iL

My Cars
    1995 BMW 740I
    Does anyone have instructions or pics on how to replace front wheel bearings on a 2000 E38 740il. It would be appreciated. Thanks.

My Cars
    99 840ci Sport Indv
    The hard bit is finding ways around the lack of special tools:

http://www.meeknet.co.uk/E38/E38_Fro...ng_Removal.pdf
    Timm..2007 E64 650i Individual Sport..1999 E31 840ci Individual Sport..ex owner of 2000 E38 740..1999 E38 740i V8 M62..1998 E38 735i V8..1993 E32 730i V8..1988 E28 518i

My BMW Repair YouTube Channel
    My Current 840ci Sport Individual
    My Current 650ci Sport Individual
    My E31 Repair and Information Website
    My E38 Repair and Information Website
    My E63/E64 Repair and Information Website

Chase - Heroes to a generation