Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpina Restoration

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Thanks for all the comments.

Gary and I just spoke this morning, and it looks like the car will be finished the second week of July.

Gary is truely an artist with his work. Plus, for a one man show, the results speak for themselves. One thing I particularly liked when talking with him prior to taking him the car is that he essentially works on one car at a time. Once the car comes up for work, you take it to him and he works on it until it is done. It is not like some production place that has a bunch of cars being done at once. Plus, he is very up front in that when he takes paint off, he never knows what is underneath. One thing Gary does with all his work is document everything. He will have pictures of each step and will send them on a disc when done.

My Cars
    05 LS430
    Rog, this car is going to be unbelievable!. Are you going to replace or refurbish most ot the parts, i.e., suspension, seating, etc. I also have a question about the infamous Alpina hood. Was that just an option or did it come on earlier / later models. Just curious why your car doesn't have one
    Bankswood

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Bankswood View Post
    Rog, this car is going to be unbelievable!. Are you going to replace or refurbish most ot the parts, i.e., suspension, seating, etc. I also have a question about the infamous Alpina hood. Was that just an option or did it come on earlier / later models. Just curious why your car doesn't have one
    The "ALPINA" hood is actually from the 5.7 model, Roger has the first version, which didn't have this hood.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    05 LS430
    Oh! and all this time I thought he had a good one. JK Rog.
    Bankswood

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Steffen's right - the vented hood was present only on the B12 5.7. Also, it was made of Carbon Fiber. Alpina will only sell one to replace a damaged hood from a B12 5.7, and require a VIN to verify this before selling one. Also, do not even ask how much one costs - the last figure I heard was just under $10,000.

Alpina made 97 B12 5.0 cars, and 57 B12 5.7 cars. Prices have continued to climb after dipping several years ago. I looked into the B12 5.7 which was for sale recently, but there was no way I could even think of affording it after I found out the price - and FYI from what I understand it sold for over the equivalent in US Dollars of $120,000. Also, I was told (but was unable to verify this) that a very low Kilometer (under 40K Km) B12 5.0 recently sold for over 60,000 Euros. My car has 38K Km. I know of two B12 5.0 cars with mileage (in Km) of over 150K that are for sale in the 35K to 40K Euro range. A B12 5.0 was for sale last year in Japan for $60K, but I have not seen it lately, so maybe it sold. It seems that collectors are starting to snatch them up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bankswood View Post
    I hope to go through everything as time permits, most of which I hope to do while the car is apart and before final reassembly.
    Last edited by rogbmw; 06-26-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '94 850CSi, '85 M635CSi,
    It's good to see Alpina prices achieve the lofty heights for which the cars are named. Congratulations Roger, I'm sure when all is said and done, you'll have the finest B-12 5.0 on the planet! Marcia is a wonderful wife and companion to put up with all this obsession, but then she's been through it all before. I can't wait for the big debut of the finished product of so m-a-n-y hours of your and Gary's labors of love. Hopefully the rest of the "lesser" 8 series Bimmers in all iterations will finally achieve their just monetary due and rise in appreciation along with the B-12's.

My Cars
    94 Euro BMW 850CSi 892
    Im Curious to know what Alfred's (alpina devil) car is worth. His car is 5.7 version. Red. I've seen it in person. Beautiful car!!!!.. US based car....

Rog any idea?..
    Board Member of SoCalEights (Marketing, Web Development & Social Media), Vice President: BMWCCA/E31 Chapter, www.cartiologyfilms.com
    Current E31s:
    1997 BMW 840Ci Black on Beige. CSI 62, 107 and 16. Euro-CSi #892.
    Client Represented E31s (Cartiology Films)
    1994 BMW 850CSi #11 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #31 USA, 1994 BMW 850CSi #58 USA
    93-850Ci - manual 6 speed. 97-850Ci - M73 Steptronic. 94-CSi 125, 95-CSi 162 Daytona Violet, CSi 198 White on Red
    Past E31s:
    1991 BMW 850i. Calypso Red on Beige Nappa and 1995 BMW 840Ci. Bright Red on Beige Nappa
    1997 BMW 840Ci. Black On Black Nappa, but changed to Dakar Yellow on Black Nappa and 1994 BMW 850CSi #27. Red On light Silver.
    1991 BMW 850i. Automatic. Red On Black and 1996 BMW 850Ci. Automatic. Midnight Blue on Gray.
    1994 BMW 850CSi. Black On Blak #107, Black/Black 97-840. White/White CSi. Silver/Silver 97-840

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by Alec Cartio View Post
    Im Curious to know what Alfred's (alpina devil) car is worth. His car is 5.7 version. Red. I've seen it in person. Beautiful car!!!!.. US based car....

Rog any idea?..
    Alec - it is all based on supply and demand, and unfortunately for those wanting a B12, and especially a B12 5.7, the demand far outweighs the supply (available cars), thus cars are expensive. I do not profess to know all the prices, just the ones I have heard about through different groups. I personally discussed the 5.7 that sold recently with the owner - a BEAUTIFUL car, but we both quickly realized that it was out of my price range. The only other 5.7 car I know of that recently sold was also over $100K. I purchased my B12 5.0 in November 2009 (yes..it was that long ago) and started the process of importation and legalization with Bill Fox's help, and I am glad I did in light of how the prices are going up.

I have seen pictures of Alfred's 5.7, and it is a beautiful car.

Quote Originally Posted by silversunbeam View Post
    It's good to see Alpina prices achieve the lofty heights for which the cars are named. Congratulations Roger, I'm sure when all is said and done, you'll have the finest B-12 5.0 on the planet! Marcia is a wonderful wife and companion to put up with all this obsession, but then she's been through it all before. I can't wait for the big debut of the finished product of so m-a-n-y hours of your and Gary's labors of love. Hopefully the rest of the "lesser" 8 series Bimmers in all iterations will finally achieve their just monetary due and rise in appreciation along with the B-12's.
    Thanks for the kind words. But, there are no lesser 8's - they are all beautiful! And since you know Marcia, you know I'm a lucky guy (we just celebrated our 33rd anniversary) - you are too with Sue, and yes, we are fortunate they put up with our obsessions .
    Last edited by rogbmw; 06-27-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    ...... The only other 5.7 car I know of that recently sold was also over $100K. ....
    Talking about the Norwegian one?

I've seen AND driven it during our int. E31 meeting in Sweden two weeks ago.
    A beautiful car but not yet perfect. Engine compartment looks pretty "used" and the rims have curb rash on all four of them.
    But driving this machine has been a dream. The owner was so kind to let me drive his baby for about 200km mainly over rather small but perfect Swedish country roads.

And the interior is one of a kind. Calling it beautiful won't do it justice.

I felt kind of bad when I saw my own car again.
    Last edited by wokke; 06-28-2012 at 05:20 AM.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85

Update 7-10-12

Gary just sent these...tomorrow he will start reassembly of the car - putting the windows back in, hanging the doors, fenders, hood, and trunk. Again, notice the reflection of the lights and wires from the ceiling. Can't Wait

My Cars
    '97 540iA
    Wow! Shiney shiney

My Cars
    1995 BMW 840CI
    its not so much the shine. take note fellas: this is what paint is supposed to look like, its all about the flatness - usually this takes a lot of blocking and wet sanding
    this is looking very good. i hope i'm able to get mine resprayed to that level one day.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85

Update 7-12-12

Gary just sent some more pictures - the doors are back on. Also, the headlight assemblies minus the buckets are shown. Note on the picture of the roof that you can see the underside of the Mustang on the lift behind the car. I told Gary that one of the bolt heads on the Mustang was crooked. I am scheduled to pick up the finished shell on Saturday. Can't wait!!!!!!!

Roof shot - notice the reflection of the Mustang on the lift:

Doors are back on:

Headlight assemblies:

Last edited by rogbmw; 07-12-2012 at 12:09 PM.

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    With all this, I am envious except for the wheels. Have you thought about Alpina wheels (even if not the real ones or the correct model ones)?

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    there is one serious downside to this entire restoration:

You can't dare to drive this car once it's finished
    Fantastic job.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    With all this, I am envious except for the wheels. Have you thought about Alpina wheels (even if not the real ones or the correct model ones)?
    Brought up twice before. This car has AUTHENTIC ALPINA wheels that have been refurbished to the same ultra-high standards as the car. Right now it is sitting on lowly BMW M-pars just so the car can be rolled around.

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    I miss my E31!!!!!!!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by TxGR8White View Post
    Brought up twice before. This car has AUTHENTIC ALPINA wheels that have been refurbished to the same ultra-high standards as the car. Right now it is sitting on lowly BMW M-pars just so the car can be rolled around.
    Oops! My apologies. I was probably out of the loop when the discussions took place.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Quote Originally Posted by Ahmed303 View Post
    Oops! My apologies. I was probably out of the loop when the discussions took place.

LOL - I try not to read about this car myself, because I get very jealous and look at mine in a totally different light...

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

My Cars
    94 840, 68 911, 73 450SL
    Makes me want to throw rocks at my 8.

My Cars
    '94 850CSi, '85 M635CSi,
    OMG, Roger has done the impossible....made Steffan humble! All of us will be as excited as you, Roger, to see the finished project.

My Cars
    1990 BMW 850. BMW 120D
    LOL - I try not to read about this car myself, because I get very jealous and look at mine in a totally different light...

+1
    "Adversity cause some men to break; others to break records." -William A. Ward

"There" is no better a place than "here." When your "there" has become a "here", you will simply obtain another "there" that will again look better than "here."

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85

Steffen - your cars look great and your attention to detail is second to none, plus - I have go do a good job to keep my SPM Florida franchise!

Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    NO NO NO NO NO NO... don't throw rocks...all 8's have the same basic DNA - just some went to a laboratory!
    Last edited by rogbmw; 07-13-2012 at 08:04 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    Any updates?
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLadiesMan View Post
    Any updates?
    Sorry - since I got the car home I have been gone more than here. The only thing I have accomplished is taking the left airbox out of the car...seriously...in preparation of working on the engine bay. I look at the body...then the engine bay...and think....what a lot of work ahead under the hood . Oh well...it will keep me out of the bars, and off the golf course, and Marcia will at least know where I am.......

My Cars
    E89 Z4 35is, E39 Dinan 5
    Quote Originally Posted by gsjohnson View Post
    My thoughts exactly. Makes me want to cry. So jelly.
    Pure Turbo, Flex Fuel 2013 Z4 35is, 2000 Dinan 540i

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast