Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpina Restoration

My Cars
    BMW 840ci

Alpina Wheels Rubber O Rings

Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    Yes - mine were pretty brittle. I have a new set, and found them online. They came with all 4 large ones for the caps, plus 4 small ones for the little cover cap that goes over the lock. I will PM you the link this evening, but I found them on ebay UK. My Alpina wheels are 18 inch wheels (that is what came on the e31 based Alpina).
    Hi,
    I need the rubber o rings as well. PM me with the info please. Thank you much.

Noel

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Well....finally able to get some more done today after a lay-off due to no spare time. The car is back home, and now I am turning my attention to the engine bay.

Air filter boxes removed.
    Fan and fan clutch removed
    Radiator shroud and old yellow overflow bottle removed
    All front radiator hoses removed
    Aux water pump and valve removed at firewall
    Acoustic cover removed
    Windshield washer bottle removed
    Charcoal canister removed
    Cabin filter housing removed
    Water lines into heater core blown out (in preparation to replace heater core)

I will be removing the air intakes to have them repainted, and placing new intake gaskets. I will check the Banjo bolts at the same time when everything is removed from the top side just to make sure they are torques to spec. Belts and hoses look good, but I will go ahead and replace them along with new tensioner pulleys. The car has the Aux alternator, so it will be cleaned up and a new belt placed.

I knocked one of the side skirts off the storage shelf and scratched it pretty badly (to where I can't buff it out) so it will go back to Gary to be repainted.

More to come....I just need more time in the week

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Anxious for an update. Amazing job, second only to Wokke.

My Cars
    6.5 second 69 Camaro
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    Anxious for an update. Amazing job, second only to Wokke.
    Depends on who's Ref'n it, And who knows paint!

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    UPDATE 9/16/12

Quote Originally Posted by 8eights View Post
    Depends on who's Ref'n it, And who knows paint!
    You're right 8eights. Lost of good painters out there - just have to fine a good one. And lots of 8s have beautiful paint jobs.

Spent all day yesterday stripping the top of the engine down. Read through all the go-bys on removing the intake manifolds, and found out some things that were not mentioned elsewhere:

1. When removing the wire harness on top, at least on my Alpina (92 build year) the wire harness taps into the coils on each side, and also has a wire that goes down to the alternator that has to be removed from a very tight spot. These all have to be detached to lift up the harness up and away from the front of the motor - I did not find this mentioned anywhere.

2. Running down where the intake attaches to the head on the right (passenger) side of the motor, and on top of the intake, is a hard set of fuel lines that makes it necessary to remove the intake attached to the drivers (left) side first. If you do not, you can not get the other side out first as this set of fuel lines has to be removed before you can remove the intake manifold. Steffen told me that the drivers bank manifold had to be removed first - thanks for the tip Steffen.

3. Since the top side of the motor had been reworked at Alpina I do not know if this is on all 8s, but there is what looks like an asbestos shield above the water lines in the valley. Does other 8s have this as standard, or did Alpina put it on when they did their work?

4. My fuel injectors do not have the little cap over the ports on the end. There are 3 of them (will try to take a picture this weekend as the fuel rails are out. Is this normal, or did Alpina put in different injectors?

Last edited by rogbmw; 09-16-2012 at 11:53 AM.

My Cars
    bmw 850i
    Those are probably Lucas injectors, they were standard on early cars. And for the alternator wire, I found it easier to cut it on top and put an connector on that place, rather than messing with the nuts on the alternator, and also a small modification on that fuel rails (grinding the holders through which gasket bolt goes in 'u' shape, instead an 'o') will help you slide the rail down next time, and than you can take passanger side manifold first also.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by duje View Post
    Those are probably Lucas injectors, they were standard on early cars. And for the alternator wire, I found it easier to cut it on top and put an connector on that place, rather than messing with the nuts on the alternator, and also a small modification on that fuel rails (grinding the holders through which gasket bolt goes in 'u' shape, instead an 'o') will help you slide the rail down next time, and than you can take passanger side manifold first also.
    Great idea on the fuel rail - hopefully will not have to do anything in the future, but will probably do this mod.

I have confirmed that the injectors are actually Lucus from a couple of sources. Since they are working well, is there any need to change them to Bosch?

My Cars
    '93 850Ci- Daily Driver
    Great idea on the fuel rail - hopefully will not have to do anything in the future, but will probably do this mod.

I have confirmed that the injectors are actually Lucus from a couple of sources. Since they are working well, is there any need to change them to Bosch?
    No, but you might want to get them ultrasonically cleaned and pressure/flow tested. Should run you about $12 an injector - at least that is what I just paid for mine.
    '93 850Ci - Mineralweiß Metallic

2001 740iL - Titansilber
    ALPINA B7 -Alpinweiß III

...the price of cool ain't cheap!

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    Or, you can purchase new Bosch injectors from Bill (Max Lumens) for around $300/12
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    Any more updates?
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Thanks Sean - I have not had a chance to do more as I have been away, but hope to get the valve covers off this weekend to check the banjo bolts. While off, the valve covers will be powder coated silver. I also plan on having the pentoisin canister powder coated black, and will be cleaning up and having the intake manifolds done.

Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer View Post
    Or, you can purchase new Bosch injectors from Bill (Max Lumens) for around $300/12
    Thanks Tom - I've looked into cleaning or replacing the Lucas set, and am going to go with a new set from Bill.
    Last edited by rogbmw; 10-02-2012 at 08:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    86 635CSi
    Bill is good people. Well except that he keeps feeding my E31 purchase obsession.
    FlickR

Resident naval gazing q-tip wielding concours pu....

My Cars
    Two '01 740iLs
    Sorry, I'm just really excited for this car.
    You have no idea how much I love E31s
    - Sean
    RIP Blitzkrieg

My Cars
    98 Euro M3, 04 M3, 06 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by Wuffer View Post
    thats a good price! brand new? or rebuilts?
    Last edited by legoman67; 10-03-2012 at 12:25 AM.
    Current:

- 09 335i MSport, FBO.
    - 98 Euro M3, Estoril Blue
    - 04 M3, Carbon Black, 6 Speed Coupe
    - 06 M5, Black on Black, Full Leather.
    - 73 3.0CS, Tagia Green, 5 speed M30b35 converted

Ex's: 1984 325e, 1988 325IX, 1992 525I, 1995 540i/6, 2002 330i, 2005 330xi, 1992 850i, 2003 330i #1, 2003 330i #2, 2002 330ci, 2004 330ci, 2007 328CI, 2007 335i, 2001 M3, 2006 M5 6 speed

My Cars
    91 850 Panzer
    New.... like it says! 8-)
    91 850 (Panzer), 2012 Mini Cooper Countryman (WifeMobile) www.wuffer.ca

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    UPDATE 10/7/12
    Was able to get a little more done this weekend. First of all, took off the Pentosin canister....felt like I was fighting an octopus. Sorry - it only had 6 lines going to it instead of 8. Here it is after finally getting it out....

Next I took off the valve covers to have them powdercoated silver, and to check the Banjo bolts. All bolts are tight, and the inside of the heads are clean as you would expect on a 38,000km car...

You can also see in the above picture a little better the heat shield above the water pipes. Not sure if this is standard, or something Alpina added when they redid the manifolds and other things they did on the motor.

Now I have all sorts of bits to powder coat, paint and clean up.....

My Cars
    1994 850csi rhd
    No shield on my CSi

My Cars
    Cool Volvo, Ugly BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by noelher View Post
    Hi,
    I need the rubber o rings as well. PM me with the info please. Thank you much.

Noel
    If these are o rings for the wheels, you could try buying four oversized orings and using q bond to get them to the right size.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by toomanyparts View Post
    If these are o rings for the wheels, you could try buying four oversized orings and using q bond to get them to the right size.
    New O rings sets are available for the Alpina wheels - both the large o-ring that fits inside the cover cap, and the small o-ring that fits on the lock cap cover. Found mine on ebay UK. Or, you can also get them from Alpina (KSK here in the US).

My Cars
    2001 740 i Sport
    Beautiful!!!
    [/IMG]

My Cars
    91 850i +++
    UPDATE 10/7/12

You can also see in the above picture a little better the heat shield above the water pipes. Not sure if this is standard, or something Alpina added when they redid the manifolds and other things they did on the motor.
    I don't know, that might be a splash guard for when the valley cover bolts let go.....
    How come the middle half of any project always takes the most time?

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Was able to do a "little" more work on the car this weekend. I noticed before everything was taken apart for the painting that there was a very slight antifreeze smell when the heater was on, so it was time to replace the heater core. So...yesterday I tore into the dash while things for the engine bay were being powder coated. Called a couple of people, and was able to get in touch with Wuffer, and he walked me through a couple of steps. When it was time to lift the dash out I went over and got my neighbor (Marcia was not home), and he helped me lift the dash out - and his eyes got real big and he said "Holy S*#@" when he saw everything. I had the new heater core in last night at 7, so this week I will take the opportunity to clean everything up, attach the new DOT VIN plate, and put it back together. I have attached several photos:

Photos with the cover off showing the old core:

View through the sunroof:

Old Heater Core - NOTE the yellow plastic just like the old yellow overflow bottles:

New Heater Core in:

e31 Dash - some assembly required! This photo shows the new heater core with black plastic:

Last edited by rogbmw; 11-05-2012 at 12:27 PM.

My Cars
    420G SPEED 6
    HEY i have those injectors [ame="http://youtu.be/7oTirEZNRw8"]http://youtu.be/7oTirEZNRw8[/ame]

My Cars
    '90 850iM70B54, '91 850i
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega man 1969 View Post
    No shield on my CSi

BMW has never shielded them AFAIK. Only the fuel rails are packed in some alloy shielding which I so far only saw on one car though.

This is what I did yesterday on my M73 with special thermo bandage (going on to the exhaust as well):

My Cars
    93 850Ci, 09 Caddy SRX
    Was able to do a "little" more work on the car this weekend. I noticed before everything was taken apart for the painting that there was a very slight antifreeze smell when the heater was on, so it was time to replace the heater core. So...yesterday I tore into the dash while things for the engine bay were being powder coated. Called a couple of people, and was able to get in touch with Wuffer, and he walked me through a couple of steps. When it was time to lift the dash out I went over and got my neighbor (Marcia was not home), and he helped me lift the dash out - and his eyes got real big and he said "Holy S*#@" when he saw everything. I had the new heater core in last night at 7, so this week I will take the opportunity to clean everything up, attach the new DOT VIN plate, and put it back together.

Excellent job on what looks like a "monstrous" project!

Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast