Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Alpina Restoration

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Update 12 - 19-2012

Have not posted for a while....so here is the latest:

I have received the powdercoated valve covers, brackets and Pentoisin canister back from the coater. While there I was talking with them and happened to ask if they knew of anyone who did Cad plating in the area. It just so happened that they not only knew of a shop, but that it was only 3 blocks from them and local. For any of you that have looked into re-cadmium plating parts, it is becoming very hard to find a place to do it as is very user-unfriendly, and the EPA is heavily involved. So I call up the place - and speak to one of the owners. Not only are they local and can do it, but I actually know the co-owner's wife through work. So now - I am going through all the bags of stuff taken off (I keep the bolts, nuts, and plates in bags with the particular item), and am beginning to take pictures of items so I know where they will go when I get back a big pile of plated parts. I hope to have a big bunch of stuff ready when they start back after January 1 to take and have cad plated.

A few other items - I have received modified headlight adjusters from Germany and the 8er.org group there. Someone from the board there made modified adjusters for Euro headlights and they are very well done.

Although my Banjo bolts are still tight, since the valve covers are off I will be redoing them, and have received new drilled bolts from Gerry from Phoenix Motorsport from England.

Since I had the Oil Filter housing out, I took it into the lab and polished it up, along with the round distributor housings (the round aluminum housings in front of each head).

I hope to have all the remaining items off the front of the block this week for cleaning, polishing and repainting as needed.

I have removed all the aluminum heat shielding from the exhaust and below the engine, have cleaned them up and polished them to look new again.

New motor mounts are in.

I have finally determined that "Mission Creep" does not justify everything...oh well...at least Marcia knows where to find me if I am not in the house. And - althought I don't really do either - I just smile and say: "It keeps me off the golf course and out of the bars"

More to come........
    Last edited by rogbmw; 12-19-2012 at 01:31 PM.

My Cars
    1985 M635
    Happy to have found this wonderful thread !

Roger, I'm hooked and subscribed
    ================
    1985 M635 (gone but not forgotten)
    1994 850CSi (also gone but not forgotten)
    1985 M635 (current obsession)

My Cars
    C5 RS6
    Great thread, looks like the car is coming along nicely. Was just in Mt. Dora over thanksgiving visiting my parents in the villages. Very cool little town .

Cant wait to see your finished product!

My Cars
    1996 BMW 840CI
    cars looking awesome! looking forward to future updates..

My Cars
    E31, E38, E39
    Is it too early to hope for a SE 8 gathering at Mt Dora in 2013?

My Cars
    91 e31, 67 Camaro
    Lived in Leesburg for a few years and still have a lot of friends there and my wife loves Mt Dora, neat little town. You could probably count me in.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by Arlington8 View Post
    Is it too early to hope for a SE 8 gathering at Mt Dora in 2013?
    Thanks for thinking of us - Unfortunately it won't be in the next few months - we may try to do something a little later in the year if they do not do the meet at Spartansburg.

UPDATE 12-27-2012

This past weekend I ended up sorting out a big bunch of bolts, nuts, washers, brackets, etc to get ready to be Cad plated. Kinda scary when you think about it. I have everything I have taken off the car in individual zip-lock bags and labeled. Then this weekend, I took everything out of the boxes and bags, made myself a sheet of paper with a metric ruler, and took 133 photographs of every nut, bolt and plate on the paper with each individual name and where it came from - then I tossed everything in one bucket . Hopefully after I get everything back from the plater, I can use all the photographs to know where everything goes.

I picked up a blasting cabinet from Harbor Freight for $62 (it has a very small dent - hence the low price), along with some glass bead medium, and will bead blast all the pieces after soaking and cleaning them. Then off to be Cad plated. While they are there, I plan on blasting some of the aluminum brackets and other pieces prior to some more painting. Damn mission creep....
    Last edited by rogbmw; 12-27-2012 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    318ic 540ia 740il 850i
    Much as I would express gratitude to someone for restoring an amazing piece of art- Thank you for what you are doing! Although it may only be for your personal satisfaction, I believe many of us benefit. D

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by danno14 View Post
    Much as I would express gratitude to someone for restoring an amazing piece of art- Thank you for what you are doing! Although it may only be for your personal satisfaction, I believe many of us benefit. D
    Thanks for the kind note. I guess it has become one of those projects that one gets as much satisfaction in doing it as when it gets finished. Plus - as in any restoration - its a good thing I don't have to pay for my labor!

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    1-4-2013 UPDATE

Dropped 227 items at the plater yester for CAD plating. They do all sorts of stuff. The co-owner took me through their facility. You name the plating, they do it. They had work there from Disney, the Military, several gun manufacturers. The place was super-clean and organized, they had their own metal laboratory, furnaces for heat treating items, and all sorts of other stuff.

Also repainted some of the pulleys and brackets. I will get pictures to show.

Presently am awaiting two boxes - one from Gault and one from AutohausAZ with more items.

Looks like in a week or two I may get to start putting things back together rather than keep taking things off!

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    1-22-2013 update

Been busy so I have not been able to do much, but did pick up the items from the CAD plater.

I had one of those "OH SHI#" moments on Friday - was taking off the valley cover when one of the bolts snapped off!!! I was thinking that - OH No - I'm screwed! It looked pretty cruddy around the edges and because everything was taken off above it, there would be no better time to remove it, clean it up and place a new gasket. All the bolts seemed difficult to remove, as if they had thread lock on them. Anyway, the bolt half way back on the passenger side abruptly broke with only about 1/2 initial turn. I was lucky as I was able to get all the others out and remove the cover. About 1/4 inch was sticking out above the block, so I applied several squirts of WD40 over about 2 hours, then put a pair of vice grips locked onto the end sticking out, and with a little nudging, it unscrewed! Luck me!!! I should have taken a picture, but was too much in the panic mode to think of a picture at the time. So, new bolts, washers and a gasket have been ordered.

Here is a picture of a few of the items from the CAD plater. All in all there were around 230 items. Sorry for the large picture.

Here are some pictures of the engine without the valley cover. Notice the green sponge in the back so nothing goes down that way!!

Last edited by rogbmw; 01-22-2013 at 08:39 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    BMW M3 CSL
    Looks amazing!
    ///Alex

My Cars
    E31 E38 E65
    this is gonna be the greatest!
    *~*Yamaguchi-gumi Syndicate Member #59,005 *~*
    [ Bippu Couture ] ( D_G ) [ FALKEN Tires]

My Cars
    2015 328i M Sport
    Im in love.

My Cars
    1991 850i / 6
    You got that right DriftGirl. I hope this is the baby you'll be bringing to the
    Left Coast 8 Fest next October Roger. Shibumi.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    BABY STEPS........UPDATE 3/12/2013
    -----------------------------------
    Well...the stars aligned and the heavens opened up and angels sang.......

After all these months...I actually got to put something back onto the car this past weekend. The passenger side motor mount, heat shield, A/C mounting bracket and compressor went on along with the pressure line that ran down the passenger side of the engine, then across the back bottom of the engine and hooked up to the drivers side line. I know...small steps...but it was finally nice after months of working to put something back on instead of taking stuff off. I will add pictures hopefully tonight when I get home.

- - - Updated - - -

Here are the pictures of the start of putting things back on....after months of taking things off, it was really enjoyable to start to put things back on...even it only a few.

This is the passenger side motor mount, Pentoisin line, and A/C mounting bracket and compressor.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by rogbmw; 03-12-2013 at 07:49 PM.

My Cars
    '93 850Ci, '07 X5 4.8
    Looks like you are creating a "monster" can't wait to see it.

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    I wish mine was that clean.

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    Quote Originally Posted by toomann View Post
    I wish mine was that clean.
    all it takes is time, time, more time, laying on the back cleaning, and time, and more time, and some more time........and then more time, and oh...I forgot to add more time.......

My Cars
    E31, E65, F01
    Quote Originally Posted by rogbmw View Post
    all it takes is time, time, more time, laying on the back cleaning, and time, and more time, and some more time........and then more time, and oh...I forgot to add more time.......
    Doesn't that go hand in hand with money, money, money and more money.

My Cars
    E24 M6, E31 CSI, B7, Z4,
    roger u dont think i will have the patience you have i will have to drive mine first season - i snagged the sister car # 44 to rogers at japanese auction site last month - she travels by boat next week and useing all rogers earlier efforts the import will be much easier - thanks roger - let you know as soon as it hits west coast then onward to Mars

My Cars
    CSi#18, Tesla S85
    UPDATE 4-21-2013
    -----------------------
    Was finally able to get back to the project after finishing Taxes, work, and lots of other stuff that got in the way.
    Here is a list of what was able to accomplish:
    1. Got the engine back onto the engine mounts
    2. New Banjo bolts and lock plates on the bolts.
    3. Placed the valley pan with new gasket and new bolts
    4. Mounted the Intake manifold gaskets
    5. Mounted the water tubes complete with new O rings (including the one that nobody ever sees - the small on on the bottom of the large tube.
    6. Mounted the Water Pump
    7. Installed the new CPS sensors
    8. Replaced the Alpina heat shield over the water tubes
    9. Removed the Oil Pan and tightened up all the bolts on the oil pump
    10. Painted the Oil Pan, cleaned the sensor and remounted with a new O ring
    11. Remounted the Oil Pan with new gasket
    12. Mounted the Cad plated A/C compressor Heat Shield
    13. Mounted the Secondary Alternator after refinishing
    14. Mounted the front fly-wheel
    15. Mounted the passenger side tensioner after replacing the wheel and shock
    16. Remounted the ground strap to passenger side engine mount

Here are some pictures....lots left to do.

Drivers side Motor Mount and Alternator/PS Pump bracket:

Valley Pan Replaced with new gasket and new bolts

Refinished Second Alternator with new Cad plated parts:

Replaced new Intake Manifold Gaskets:

The little O ring nobody sees on the large water pipe:

Replaced Water Pipes and new water pump:

Alpina water pipe heat shield in place:

Oil Pan removed to exposes the oil pump. Tightened all the bolts:

Refinished Oil Pan prior to remounting with a new gasket and O ring for the sending unit:

View from the top of the new water pump, flywheel, tensioner, and secondary alternator:

View from underneath - the subframe will be cleaned up before I am done :-) :

Another couple of views from the top:

Last edited by rogbmw; 04-21-2013 at 10:26 PM.

IcemanBHE is offline ¿pǝpɹɐʇǝɹ noʎ ǝɹɐ
    My Cars
    (4x7)+8=36
    Hurry up Roger.. I want to see this car in California....
    95 840Ci, Calypso Red/Silver, 83k - 99 740i, Black/Black, 185k, Alpina Mods - 01 740i, Titanium/Silver, 40k, Sport Pkg
    Complete Turnkey Diagnostic/Programming systems available...PM for details.

http://www.8Coupe.com - Please register, spot, and help the project.

tvjake2 is offline SoCalEights - CA BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    '97 840Ci, 1980 308
    Wow, nice job. This is like seeing pictures during the factory assembly. You need to get this as an article in the Roundel when you're finished.

My Cars
    03' M5
    Amazing restoration!

Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast