Thread: Need Advice on Whether to Upgrade to OEM Staggared M Rims

Question Need Advice on Whether to Upgrade to OEM Staggared M Rims

Hey all. I have a 93'325is riding on the original "sport" 15" rims/tires. The tires are 225/55/15. I may buy my friends double-spoke II (ten doubles) with 225/45/17 and 245/40/17.

I know the new rims will look much better than my stock 15" honeycombs.

However, will I suffer a big difference in ride-quality? Will I feel a noticible difference in off-the-line performance with the wider tread and heavier rims? :

Also, I live in NY where there are some bad roads and deal with some (not a lot) of snow.

Thanks for all your advice!!

Scott

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB
    What are the staggered rim sizes? 17x7.5 and 17x8? 17x7.5 and 17x8.5? Check and make sure the offset is the same... I don't know the M3 offset.
    - Jon, '93 325is

My Cars
    miss my rieger 3, but love my new S2000!
    there will be a little difference off the line w/17s, but nothing to really worry about w/a325is those rims aren't as heavy as other aftermarket wheels either.
    but i think staggering can promote understeer? someone will answer who know more.
    also w/staggered you can't rotate tires either. something to think about

7.5 x 17 and 8.5 x 17.

My Cars
    2003 Mitsu Lancer Evo VIII, 2005 Chevy Z51 C6
    Yes, staggering will promote understeer. I don't know how capable the 325i is in breaking the rear tires loose, but I actually prefer having them staggered.
    Rel
    1999 Titanium Silver ///M3 (SOLD)
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

2003 Tarmac Black Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution VIII
    Borla cat-back, AEM SRI, GReddy TT, Sony CDX-CA810X

2005 Lemans Blue Chevrolet Z51 Corvette

Thanks for the replies.

Another question: I have the "sport suspension" and do NOT plan on upgrading my springs/shocks. Will this be a problem?

Also, what do you think of the double spoke II rims? Thanks again and have a great weekend all . . . :

My Cars
    Your OEM sport suspension will be fine.
    Rel
    Conforti Intake, Shark Injector, AA Gen 3 Exhaust, AA Track Pipe, Koni SAs, H&R OE Sports, TC Kline RSMs, X-Brace, UUC TMEs, ZKWs w/HID, DDE Gen IV, Clears, NIKEN pedals, Pioneer DEH-P7000, Valentine One

Home: Bay Area, California |||| College: UCSB
    Your ride will become a bit bumpier because of no squishy balloon tires (the fat 'ole stock tires) but it shouldn't be problem, unless you are REALLY REALLY picky. The stock suspension should be fine too, but remember with a staggered setup you can NOT rotate your tires. And yes the double spoke rims look fine . Don't worry and enjoy your weekend.
    - Jon, '93 325is

I have the exact setup that you posted but on a 94 325is Sport.

Mine fits fine w/ the stock suspension.

For the ride quality, those double spoke II staggered rims are little heavier, bumpier, more understeer and less gas mileage relatively compared to the stock 15" w/ 225 tires. However, they are sticker to the road than the 15".

Trust me, once you get used to it, you will love it and don't even bother going back to 15" again.

My Cars
    E46
    no more tire rotating for you, but on a sports car who rotates tires?

Wheels in Sig are SSR GT3's 19" E46 M3 fitment. Dinan E46 M3 Suspension. Pic thanks to Kyle K.

Yup, no more tire rotation is one drawback if you're planning to put a lot of mileages on the car. But I am only a daily driver (no auto-X) so it doesn't bother me too much.

My Cars
    Well, with some of the summer performance tires that you throw on there, you can literally burn them up in roughly 10k miles, especially the rear ones. That's a little bit past the point where you'd rotate the tires anyway (usually around the 8k mile mark). In my case, I just passed 37k miles on the odometer on the original tires (although about 3k-4k were on my winter tires) and at this point they need to be replaced. Maybe I'm not driving her hard enough. Surprisingly, though, looking at the tread, the rears are not that much more worn than the fronts. These are OEM Michelin Pilot Sports, btw.
    Rel

My Cars
    735i SE
    Those are my favourite M3 rims. They look really sweet.

I'd go for them if the price is good.
    1995 325i coupe, Superchipped, Mania RVR 18" alloys with 225/40/18 Continentals. Full M Tech kit(no sideskirts yet), M3 mirrors(not fitted yet). Kenwood KDC-MP6090R MP3 head unit, Kenwood C-717 10 x CD autochanger