Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Obd1 engine code reset/scan without tool

My Cars
    1999 740IL, 1995 318I

Post Obd1 engine code reset/scan without tool

Hey all this is a step to step tutorial on how to check your CEL codes on a pre 1996 OBD1 bmw e36.

1. Turn key to second position but do not start the car.
    2. Stomp on the pedal 5 times quite quickly.
    3. Engine light should flash, wait for the pause and as soon as you see quick flashes you know the code has started.
    4. Read code i.e 1 flash = 1, pause 2 flashes = 2, pause 2 flashes= 2, pause 6 flashes= 6
    therefore the code is 1226. *Knock Sensor 2*
    5. The code will then repeat.
    6. Wait for the code to get to the last digit (in this example it is 6) and stomp on the pedal an additional 5 times. This will give you the next code that has been recorded by the DME
    7. Continue this until there are no more codes (the CEL will flash long, then short over and over again)
    8. In order to clear these codes from the DME (ECU) hold the pedal down for 15 seconds and turn the key to the off position.

THERE YOU HAVE IT, A SIMPLE WAY TO READ CODES AND RESET THEM JUST BY USING YOUR RIGHT FOOT!

Hope this helps,

Christian
    I LERRRV ANTI SEIZE.

My Cars
    2002, e21, e30, e36, e46
    after 5 stomps, mine gives all the codes in numerical order, then repeats them all... no additional stomps...

11/94 318i

t

My Cars
    325is
    I thought it cycled all the codes then flashed long then short? No need to press 5 times again. ( but then I only had one code stored) Can you clear them with the error still present? Or do you need to fix it first? I assume if it is not fixed the error will return anyways. I had to try 10 times to clear a code that's why I ask.

My Cars
    1999 740IL, 1995 318I
    That's how I cleared it with my 95 318
    If it keeps cycling the same code then I would try the additional 5 stomps
    You can clear the codes without fixing the issue however the cel will most likely illuminate again.
    But obviously the codes are there for a reason
    I LERRRV ANTI SEIZE.

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    -Chris
    My e30 build thread/color change here

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by christiandoy View Post
    That's how I cleared it with my 95 318
    If it keeps cycling the same code then I would try the additional 5 stomps
    You can clear the codes without fixing the issue however the cel will most likely illuminate again.
    But obviously the codes are there for a reason
    It will display all of the codes, do a pause, then display all of the codes again. It repeats until you turn the key off. If there is only one code, then it is shown, pause, show again, repeat. If there is more than one code, then it displays one, then the next, then the next, (repeat as needed) then it will pause and then begin again from the beginning. This repeats.

One does not have to depress the pedal again once he has gotten into the display mode.

I'm a bit confused by how the codes are cleared. My limited experience with my own car is that the code cleared itself when I fixed the fault that made the Check Engine light come on. The Bentley manual describes how to clear/reset, but my car did not conform to the directions and it took whatever steps were needed all by itself once I fixed the fault.

My Cars
    1999 740IL, 1995 318I
    I have a 95 318i and the steps I took to read all codes and clear them are what I have first stated. So if you have a 95 318i follow those steps. If you don't refer to the link that heifetz17 posted.

I wouldn't write something that I haven't proven to work.

If i don't stomp 5 times after it reads the first engine code, it will continuously repeat itself until I do. Then it will display the next code.
    Last edited by christiandoy; 02-29-2012 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    I LERRRV ANTI SEIZE.

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    I have a 95 318i and the steps I took to read all codes and clear them are what I have first stated. So if you have a 95 318i follow those steps. If you don't refer to the link that heifetz17 posted.

I wouldn't write something that I haven't proven to work.

If i don't stomp 5 times after it reads the first engine code, it will continuously repeat itself until I do. Then it will display the next code.
    All OBD I vehicles have the exact same procedure. 95s are no different. Just look at how many people have replied to mine with success.

Still great information, it's just becoming overly complicated lately.
    -Chris

My Cars
    325is 5SP manual Feb1995
    Clearing the codes by holding down the pedal for 15 seconds is new to me.

My Cars
    1999 740IL, 1995 318I
    well you should try it sometime then.
    I LERRRV ANTI SEIZE.

My Cars
    2013 328i xDrive
    Quote Originally Posted by lasmariaspr View Post
    Clearing the codes by holding down the pedal for 15 seconds is new to me.
    The light will go out after the problem has been corrected, and the stored codes will automatically clear after about 60 successful start cycles without a fault being triggered again.
    -Chris

My Cars
    '94 325i vert
    When I do this my car flashes one long and one short and repeats. If i reset the codes with the pedal I get a 1444. This seems wrong though because my car is running weird. I have a intermittent hesitation below 2000rpm. My hunch is either the coil packs or cam sensor is the problem but I'm not getting codes for them. Does this mean they are still functioning within spec or the problem lies elsewhere?

My Cars
    1995 BMW Dinan 3 x two

Worked for me

This actually worked for me. After the 1444, I removed my key then started the engine - and Bam ! No more CEL. Thank you for the good info

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i convertibl
    Will this clear the airbag and ABS light as well? Looking up tools is leading me to believe that those 2 specifically aren't connected to OBDI the way other things are...
    edit: Yes checking your codes work. I just tried it on my 95 318i.

It did not reset airbag or ABS lights however.. So I ordered this Peake tool knock off: Loftek B800 bmw srs airbag scan and reset tool. [from amazon]
    I'll probably be reselling it if my airbag light is gone for good. I know the ABS can be tricky.
    Last edited by sfkingalpha; 08-28-2012 at 04:06 AM.

My Cars
    2004 330 vert 2004 X5
    Quote Originally Posted by sfkingalpha View Post
    Will this clear the airbag and ABS light as well? Looking up tools is leading me to believe that those 2 specifically aren't connected to OBDI the way other things are...
    edit: Yes checking your codes work. I just tried it on my 95 318i.

It did not reset airbag or ABS lights however.. So I ordered this Peake tool knock off: Loftek B800 bmw srs airbag scan and reset tool. [from amazon]
    I'll probably be reselling it if my airbag light is gone for good. I know the ABS can be tricky.
    No this procedure is only for engine codes. Tranny codes, ABS/ASC codes, SRS codes all require a scan tool to read and clear them.

My Cars
    1995 BMW 318i convertibl
    I hope this one will clear the ABS light too. The scanner is only 40 bucks. Cheaper if you compare it to Peakes $110 scanner.

My Cars
    1994 E36 325ic
    Hey all this is a step to step tutorial on how to check your CEL codes on a pre 1996 OBD1 bmw e36.

1. Turn key to second position but do not start the car.
    2. Stomp on the pedal 5 times quite quickly.
    3. Engine light should flash, wait for the pause and as soon as you see quick flashes you know the code has started.
    4. Read code i.e 1 flash = 1, pause 2 flashes = 2, pause 2 flashes= 2, pause 6 flashes= 6
    therefore the code is 1226. *Knock Sensor 2*
    5. The code will then repeat.
    6. Wait for the code to get to the last digit (in this example it is 6) and stomp on the pedal an additional 5 times. This will give you the next code that has been recorded by the DME
    7. Continue this until there are no more codes (the CEL will flash long, then short over and over again)
    8. In order to clear these codes from the DME (ECU) hold the pedal down for 15 seconds and turn the key to the off position.

THERE YOU HAVE IT, A SIMPLE WAY TO READ CODES AND RESET THEM JUST BY USING YOUR RIGHT FOOT!

Hope this helps,

Christian

Does this work with no CEL light on? I can't seem for the life of me to get it to work. Next I am removing my chip (for other reasons) maybe that is preventing it? it is a cheap one! that is why Im removing it. Slight idle miss and eliminating the factor that it is the chip.
    Thanks!

My Cars
    1994 E36 325ic
    Quote Originally Posted by dhangjr View Post
    Does this work with no CEL light on? I can't seem for the life of me to get it to work. Next I am removing my chip (for other reasons) maybe that is preventing it? it is a cheap one! that is why Im removing it. Slight idle miss and eliminating the factor that it is the chip.
    Thanks!
    pedal trick still don't work. Removed battery, and chip. Still no work. Idle fixed by vanos and coils

My Cars
    1994 E36 325ic
    still not working...had frined try, no luck. I guess I have o save some extra cash for code reader.

My Cars
    '90 325i Calypso
    Quote Originally Posted by dhangjr View Post
    still not working...had frined try, no luck. I guess I have o save some extra cash for code reader.
    Bad TPS can cause stomp test to not work. If the TPS is bad it won't know that you are completely pressing then depressing the pedal. Could also be the cause of your car not running properly.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Quote Originally Posted by heifetz17 View Post
    All OBD I vehicles have the exact same procedure. 95s are no different. Just look at how many people have replied to mine with success.

Still great information, it's just becoming overly complicated lately.
    Truth be told, I had an e34 that needed the same "treatment" of me pressing the pedal 5 times between codes so it would advance to the next one.

My Cars
    318is 1999
    hi , im new to this but was reading your thread . i have just got a 318is 1999 e36 and trying to find out if it is obd , obd1 ,obd&nbsp;2&nbsp;, i havint a clue . it only has the round pin under the bonnet . i was thinking of getting myself a code reader to make life easy but dont know what to get&nbsp;that will work on the car . i dont have much hair and would like to keep the bit i have . lol . can anyone help me . not with the hair now . lol . <br>&nbsp;

My Cars
    318i, Cooper S, SLR 5000
    This method WILL NOT work if you have a Euro spec car as they DO NOT have a CEL.

My Cars
    E36
    Quote Originally Posted by Found94 View Post
    When I do this my car flashes one long and one short and repeats. If i reset the codes with the pedal I get a 1444. This seems wrong though because my car is running weird. I have a intermittent hesitation below 2000rpm. My hunch is either the coil packs or cam sensor is the problem but I'm not getting codes for them. Does this mean they are still functioning within spec or the problem lies elsewhere?
    bumping this thread for help here.

Same issue on my 93. Same issue I had on my old '92. What gives?
    BMW CCA Illini Chapter Vice President
    1995 M3
    - My Favorite DIY's and FAQ's

My Cars
    '94 325iC, '08 328i, E93
    Quote Originally Posted by Moron95M3 View Post
    bumping this thread for help here.

Same issue on my 93. Same issue I had on my old '92. What gives?
    1000 = END OF FAULT CODE OUTPUT--ALL FAULT CODES HAVE BEEN DISPLAYED. NO CORRECTIVE ACTION NECESSARY. REPEAT TEST IF NECESSARY. (Not yelling, just quoting the book.)

1000 would be one short and the light remaining off for the duration, then a long blink indicating the sequence is starting over. You clear by pressing and holding the gas pedal for at least 10 seconds, then repeat the test and look for code 1444.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast