Thread: Multifunction Steering Wheel Retrofit

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT

Multifunction Steering Wheel Retrofit

I'm visiting from the E31 forum to inform those interested in retrofitting a multifunction steering wheel in their E34 that I've written an extensive DIY procedure on this topic. Below is a picture of the sport 3-spoke in my E31:

All buttons work including radio, cruise, and phone (note deleted cruise stalk in above photo).

My write-up should significantly reduce the amount of time and effort required. And for those interested in the wheel shown above (the sport 3-spoke), I offer machine shop services ($350) for a ready-to-install solution. (The standard 4-spoke and M 3-spoke MF wheels do not require machining to fit.) The following DIY procedure should answer all questions for those interested (written for E31 but applicable to all airbag equipped BMW's since 1988):

Multifunction Steering Wheel Retrofit.

The radio and phone functions are surprisingly straightforward to do, with cruise functions being a bit more involved. Here are examples of the wheel buttons in action:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xSIKqx_f69I"]RADIO[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RhONuFV2iI"]PHONE[/ame]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v7mHfcnE4uE"]CRUISE[/ame]

I have created a separate write-up for bluetooth phone integration. Please post all comments and view my write-up regarding this feature in the E31 forum here: Bluetooth Integration.

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

AquilaBMW is offline Mad Bimmerist BMW CCA Member
    My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Ummm.... where did you find a MF Three Spoke like that? I like it! Actually prefer it to the M Wheel.

Thanks for the information by the way.

My Cars
    E21, E24, E34, E46
    That is very cool. Thanks for sharing.

My Cars
    2003 M5
    I actually have this very same wheel in my e34 right now, however I did not machine the base, so I do not have any airbag or horn functionality.

If someone wants to trade me their 3-spoke M3 wheel for my wheel, I'd be interested....

Very nicely detailed writeup, by the way.

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by vlksdragon View Post
    I actually have this very same wheel in my e34 right now, however I did not machine the base, so I do not have any airbag or horn functionality.

If someone wants to trade me their 3-spoke M3 wheel for my wheel, I'd be interested....

Very nicely detailed writeup, by the way.
    Why does it need to be machined down? Doesn't it fit the E34? Is your wheel a multifunctional one as well?

My Cars
    2003 M5
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    Why does it need to be machined down? Doesn't it fit the E34? Is your wheel a multifunctional one as well?
    Yes, it physically bolts to the steering column, however it won't support the slipring that e34s use, as it came from an e46 which uses the column mounted slipring. So I have been driving around using the exact same steering wheel as the OP has, but without airbag/horn/turnsignal cancellation functions.

Check out the OP's writeup link, particularly the pdf supplement regarding the MF wheel, it will explain how to use this wheel properly.

My Cars
    540iT/6, 95 M3, 87 325is
    Excellent. This is high on the "to-do" list for my car. Thanks.
    LeMons or bust!

My Cars
    BMWs / Chevy
    Quote Originally Posted by vlksdragon View Post
    Yes, it physically bolts to the steering column, however it won't support the slipring that e34s use, as it came from an e46 which uses the column mounted slipring. So I have been driving around using the exact same steering wheel as the OP has, but without airbag/horn/turnsignal cancellation functions.

Check out the OP's writeup link, particularly the pdf supplement regarding the MF wheel, it will explain how to use this wheel properly.
    I saw the write up. He can do it for $350 to make it work. One would have to acquire the E46 slip ring to make it work.

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    this should only work on late 94+

i want a heated steering wheel bad

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by AquilaBMW View Post
    ..One would have to acquire the E46 slip ring to make it work.
    Incorrect. As stated, machining the sport 3-spoke wheel allows use of the usual wheel-mounted slip ring. In this case, slip ring '261 is used.

Quote Originally Posted by pennpen View Post
    this should only work on late 94+...
    Actually, this works for all airbag-equipped BMW's since 1988.

Folks: that's why this is so cool!
    Last edited by Frankie; 02-29-2012 at 11:52 PM. Reason: clarification

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    90 535im turbo
    Damn it so no airbag no luck

My Cars
    e34 540ia/e32 740il
    Is it possible to make all the radio functions and cruise control work with an e34 as well, or does that only work because you have a later model (obd2) e31?

Edit: awesome write-up. So I would need a cd43 (as opposed to a stock e34 radio) to interface to the wheel. Can it interface with e34 cruise control?
    Last edited by m60power; 03-01-2012 at 12:17 AM.

My Cars
    2002 330i, 1989 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by Frankie View Post
    Actually, this works for all airbag-equipped BMW's since 1988.

Folks: that's why this is so cool!
    I am confused as to how this would work for those of us 89 and early 90 guys with the early e30 style fine splined steering shaft. Perhaps I am skimming a bit too quickly and missing something...

My Cars
    99shu,77 911, 85 e24
    the earliest multifunction wheel i've seen is on e38s, 97+ e38s have the electronics in the buttons instead of in a control box in the dash like 95-96 e38s

but early airbag e34s have a different spline then later ones and 95 e34s have a different system too, so this mod would only work on late 94+ e34s I believe

My Cars
    '01 740i, '99 528iT
    Quote Originally Posted by Racerhoze View Post
    I am confused as to how this would work for those of us 89 and early 90 guys with the early e30 style fine splined steering shaft...
    Quote Originally Posted by pennpen View Post
    but early airbag e34s have a different spline then later ones and 95 e34s have a different system too, so this mod would only work on late 94+ e34s I believe

You guys may be correct.

Looking at RealOEM, I see the '901 slip ring and '756 airbag go back to 7/90, along with '786 steering wheels on 5 and 7 series. The wheels I've worked with are '788 (on E36; same slip ring and airbag) and '785 (on E31; same slip ring and airbag). If the difference between wheel '786 and the other two is the spline count and not the diameter or thickness then yes - this retrofit wouldn't work without also changing steering columns. However, if wheels '788/'785 are interchangable with '786 - and I think they are - then this retrofit works back to 7/90 for sure.

Pre-7/90 then becomes another issue.

A completely different airbag, slip ring, and steering wheel was used proir to 7/90. So even if the steering wheel is compatible, the airbag system may not be. However, the airbag control unit is the same thru 9/91, leading me to believe the change was in the slip ring design. If anyone has direct experience with these build dates, please chime in.

I pride myself on being accurate. If I missed this detail, I apologize for any confusion. I can confidently say the airbag system is adaptable from 7/90-on, leaving only the steering wheel questionable - all of which are key. I may have to amend my write-up to specify 7/90-on build dates.

Additional feedback welcome.
    Last edited by Frankie; 03-02-2012 at 12:07 AM. Reason: correction & clarification

Frankie
    Texas, USA
    frankies-bmw.com

My Cars
    E34 - '95 540i/6
    Very Very cool. Once I get my 540 road worthy I'm definitely looking into this. My steering wheel is busted but I have other priorities.

My Cars
    E39, E38s, e46, lr3
    Super cool. I have an e9x airbag in my e34.. I "hand" machined it, and it was a PITA, but got it working.

Glad to see someone did it correctly.
    e46 m3, some 740 sport shorts, F30h, LR3 and a 540it

My Cars
    1995 BMW 5 Series
    Reviving a very old thread. I just scored a nice M tech wheel with a single stage airbag from a 1998 E39, I'm so excited. I ordered the slip ring, the connector and all the little things suggested on the posted link. I'll be trying to achieve success at this upgrade probably during this weekend or the next one, depending on the arrival of the items. If you guys have any advice or little tricks to do a better job, it will be really helpful. I consider myself very handy but help is always appreciated.

BTW I'm doing this in an Alpinaweiß 1995 525. Thanks a lot guys for the great help you provide to the community.