Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2011 328xi auto transmission hesitation on acceleration

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi

2011 328xi auto transmission hesitation on acceleration

I couldn't find a manual replacement for my '96 328i and I've been disappointed with my 2011 328xi performance as a result.

I had a 1996 328i manual and it really had pickup. This new automatic has a more powerful engine, burns more gas but less pickup when you need it.

This is the result of a significant lag between when you press the accelerator (when you are going around 10mph) to when anything happens (either increase in engine power or downshift). It takes about 2 seconds to respond and drives me crazy. I can switch to sport mode but that is annoying because the gears when driving steady and straight are too low and consume fuel.

I called my dealer and they said that that is a complaint but there is no BMW fix.

I have heard there might be some after market firmware update that makes the automatic more responsive.

Any advice appreciated.

My Cars
    2002 bmw 325
    WELCOME TO VALVETRONIC.

yes, there is some aftermarket programs for this, but be careful doign this on a car under warranty. if the dealer sees it on there and you have a driveability issue, they can/will void your drivetrain warranty. I have seen it. I have also seen a dealer void the suspension warranty cause a cust put non oem 20's on his 5-series.
    02 BMW 325
    13 MB GLK350
    94 GMC sonoma 4x4 - hpd30/8.8 - toy
    15 MB GLA250 (wife's)
    01 Pontiac WS6 - Garage Queen
    12 RAM CC Hemi powered - new DD

GOIN BROKE BUT N STYLE

My Cars
    E90 328xi 6MT
    The steptronic transmissions suck but are widely used. But because theyre widely used a lot is known about them. Try reseting the transmission. The transmission tries to learn how you drive to shift better. My friend's mom has an X3 and she was having an issue with her transmission where it would hold gears and jerk while shifting. I told her how to reset it and she says it is much better. To reset: Put fob in dash, press on but without your foot on brake (accessories mode), and hold the gas pedal to the floor for 30 seconds. You should hear a beep, if you don't just keep holding till that 30second marker, like 35 seconds. Try that out and let us know how it goes.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by ndog14 View Post
    The steptronic transmissions suck but are widely used. But because theyre widely used a lot is known about them. Try reseting the transmission. The transmission tries to learn how you drive to shift better. My friend's mom has an X3 and she was having an issue with her transmission where it would hold gears and jerk while shifting. I told her how to reset it and she says it is much better. To reset: Put fob in dash, press on but without your foot on brake (accessories mode), and hold the gas pedal to the floor for 30 seconds. You should hear a beep, if you don't just keep holding till that 30second marker, like 35 seconds. Try that out and let us know how it goes.
    Thanks. I certainly will try that out before making any modifications. Note that I got the car used (1 year old) and it was driven as a BMW loaner for service. Obviously driven by many people. Maybe the steptronic tranny is 'confused'?

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hal

I tried that method but got no 'beep'. I tried it two ways, one by putting in the key fob pressing the start button and holding the start button in then pressing the accelerator to the floor. I held both for 2 minutes.

I also put the fob in, pressed the start button (but took my finger off it) then pressed the accelerator down for 1 minutes.

No beep then either.
    Last edited by Halichopter; 02-28-2012 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    E46

transmission hesitattion and jerkiness

I have owned 4 BMWs. My current is the 2011 automatic 328 X drive and I hate the transmission. It hesitates dangerously when starting out, especially when cold. There is also hesitation and jerkiness when accelerating from slow to mid speed. Sometimes it surges when you are slowing to a stop. I didn't realize how bad it was until I traded cars one day with my wife who has a 2004 325 automatic and the shifting on hers was as smooth as silk. When I saw her later she was complaining about my new car. I can't beleive that this is happening on a new BMW where handling is supposed to be job 1. I would like to know how widespread this is. As far as resetting the transmission, I understand that this happens on every restart, there is no memory after shutdown.

My Cars
    The later 328 transmission's have always been a source of complaints from customers. Unfortunately that's just how they are. Most of the complaints I have gotten are from the cars with the GM transmissions (metal trans pan, not plastic like the ZF transmissions).
    ASE and BMW Master Certified Technician

My Cars
    E90 328xi 6MT
    Quote Originally Posted by Halichopter View Post
    Thanks. I certainly will try that out before making any modifications. Note that I got the car used (1 year old) and it was driven as a BMW loaner for service. Obviously driven by many people. Maybe the steptronic tranny is 'confused'?

I will let you know how it goes.

Thanks,

Hal

I tried that method but got no 'beep'. I tried it two ways, one by putting in the key fob pressing the start button and holding the start button in then pressing the accelerator to the floor. I held both for 2 minutes.

I also put the fob in, pressed the start button (but took my finger off it) then pressed the accelerator down for 1 minutes.

No beep then either.
    1. Put fob in normally
    2. PRESS start, but without foot on brake
    3. Hold the gas pedal firmly to the floor for about 35seconds
    4. Start car

That is the only way I have read how to do the transmission "fix" for other BMW models.

My Cars
    535xi, 911 C4S, 328xi C
    I have a 328xi and it does not exhibit this characteristic. Re-set and then drive the way you would normally drive.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by zippy View Post
    I have owned 4 BMWs. My current is the 2011 automatic 328 X drive and I hate the transmission. It hesitates dangerously when starting out, especially when cold. There is also hesitation and jerkiness when accelerating from slow to mid speed. Sometimes it surges when you are slowing to a stop. I didn't realize how bad it was until I traded cars one day with my wife who has a 2004 325 automatic and the shifting on hers was as smooth as silk. When I saw her later she was complaining about my new car. I can't beleive that this is happening on a new BMW where handling is supposed to be job 1. I would like to know how widespread this is. As far as resetting the transmission, I understand that this happens on every restart, there is no memory after shutdown.
    Zippy, I totally agree. My great joy in my '96 328i manual transmission was popping down to 3rd gear for passing on the highway or merging on highway or accelerating into a briefly open slot in the adjacent faster moving lane. Now I push the accelerator from cruise at 30mph to 3/4 way to the floor and NOTHING happens for what seems like an eternity (but is probably just one second). I've tried to use the manual shift mode but unlike a manual shifter you can't tell what gear you are in by feel, you have to take your eyes off the road to the dashboard. I just haven't been able to get used to it. About the only thing that helps somewhat is to shift to sport mode when contemplating an upcoming need to accelerate.

Quote Originally Posted by PeterC4 View Post
    I have a 328xi and it does not exhibit this characteristic. Re-set and then drive the way you would normally drive.
    I have tried the re-set. No change to the hesitation.
    Last edited by Halichopter; 03-15-2012 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by Halichopter View Post
    About the only thing that helps somewhat is to shift to sport mode when contemplating an upcoming need to accelerate.
    Unfortunately, that is how it is designed. When not in sports/manual mode, the response is (dare I say intentionally) lethargic. Not sure what the thinking behind it is, but my guess is it has to do with fuel economy. When you put it in sport mode, you are telling it to forget about fuel economy. In the F30, they improved that by making it optional to enable the "economy mode" (they call it eco-pro), and supposedly it becomes more of a dog, but you cannot have fuel economy and instant response, they do not go well together.
    Also in a modern AT, you really do not care which gear you are in, the computer will not let you shift into a gear that will cause damage. The few times I had 328xi loaners, I'd find myself in manual mode most of the time except when cruising, and most times I just push the selector as many times as I can to put it in the lowest gear the computer allows (did not bother to learn the shift points of a loaner).
    Last edited by mryakan; 03-15-2012 at 03:34 PM.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by mryakan View Post
    Also in a modern AT, you really do not care which gear you are in, the computer will not let you shift into a gear that will cause damage. The few times I had 328xi loaners, I'd find myself in manual mode most of the time except when cruising, and most times I just push the selector as many times as I can to put it in the lowest gear the computer allows (did not bother to learn the shift points of a loaner).
    Thanks. I wasn't aware that you cannot shift into a damaging gear, one of the reasons I stay away from manual mode. Maybe I will give it a second chance.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 335i xDrive

2011 328xi auto transmission hesitation on acceleration

I recently purchased a new 2011 BMW 328xi and am also having the same issues with hesitation in certain driving situations such as "accelerating into a briefly open slot in the adjacent faster moving lane."

I'm just starting to play with the manual mode and quickly found the response time is much better and there is no hesitation but I'm wondering how best to become comfortable using manual mode. (Or when best to use it.) I also have thought of "shifting to sport mode when contemplating an upcoming need to accelerate", most likely this is the best solution.

Question: The manual mode is designed to "not let you shift into a gear that will cause damage" and when I'm in manual mode I can see that it is still a form of automatic because it still shifts on it's own based on the rpms. So in theory if one didn't care about fuel economy, you could simply shift into manual mode and then drive without shifting and let the manual mode shift for you? (Sounds crazy but this is more about understanding how manual mode works.)

My Cars
    21 M3 6MT Dravit/KO/ZPP
    Quote Originally Posted by richmond328 View Post
    I recently purchased a new 2011 BMW 328xi and am also having the same issues with hesitation in certain driving situations such as "accelerating into a briefly open slot in the adjacent faster moving lane."

I'm just starting to play with the manual mode and quickly found the response time is much better and there is no hesitation but I'm wondering how best to become comfortable using manual mode. (Or when best to use it.) I also have thought of "shifting to sport mode when contemplating an upcoming need to accelerate", most likely this is the best solution.

Question: The manual mode is designed to "not let you shift into a gear that will cause damage" and when I'm in manual mode I can see that it is still a form of automatic because it still shifts on it's own based on the rpms. So in theory if one didn't care about fuel economy, you could simply shift into manual mode and then drive without shifting and let the manual mode shift for you? (Sounds crazy but this is more about understanding how manual mode works.)
    In manual mode the computer will hold the gear for you as long as possible before being forced to upshift. Staying at high RPM all the time in a lower gear will put too much stress on your engine and transmission (which could also overheat), so it is not advisable for extended periods.
    In manual mode, it will also not go into a lower gear typically (although not sure whether if it detects high load at low rpm and high gear, it may downshift, never tried it on the loaners I had since it is a bad thing to lug the engine).
    So in short, use manual mode when you want to manually shift, otherwise, use normal drive mode or put it in DS mode when you want more responsiveness but do not care about fuel economy. If you want to control the exact gear you are in without a computer overriding you, then your only option is to get a true 3 pedal manual (before they become extinct that is, which according to some sources may be soon ).
    Last edited by mryakan; 04-04-2012 at 11:52 AM.
    Current Car (delivered 20/10/21): 2021 G80 M3; 6MT; DravitGrau/Kyalami Orange/Black Extended Merino; Permium Pkg (ZPP); 826M bicolor wheels; Black M Compound brakes; Sunroof (yes no CF roof)
    (more pictures here)

Previous Cars: 2018 F30 340ix 6MT Msport(Dec 2017 - Sep 2021); 2013 F30 335ix 6MT Msport (Nov 2013-17); 2011 e90 328i 6MT ZSP (Aug 10-Nov 13); 07 e90-323i ZSP (May 07 - Aug 10); 97-318ti ZSP (Feb 97 - May 07)

"Mit der Dummheit kämpfen Götter selbst vergebens", Friedrich von Schiller -- "Life is simple, people make it complicated", Me (About me)

My Cars
    Future 428 Coupe
    I do LOVE the way the car drives in Sport mode, but the cost of premium gas prohibits frequent sport mode runs.

My Cars
    2015 BMW 335i xDrive
    I read the following in a review:

The transmission has three modes: regular automatic, “DS” which is automatic set to shift at higher RPMs and the steptronic mode where you shift the transmission like a manual but with no clutch.

He mentions 3 modes? I'm only aware of 2, what is he talking about?

My Cars
    Future 428 Coupe
    Quote Originally Posted by richmond328 View Post
    I read the following in a review:

The transmission has three modes: regular automatic, “DS” which is automatic set to shift at higher RPMs and the steptronic mode where you shift the transmission like a manual but with no clutch.

He mentions 3 modes? I'm only aware of 2, what is he talking about?
    The three listed: regular, DS, and "manual" (where you are in DS, but push the shifter to "suggest" a gear for the trany to shift into.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    By the way, I called my local dealer and they gave me the name of one of their top mechanics. I emailed the mechanic a link to this thread.

He told me a couple months ago that a new firmware update was coming version 2.46 sometime in April which may help with the hesitation in standard drive mode.

I contacted him last week and he just replied that ver 2.46 is in:

"Hello Hal

Sorry for the delay

2.46 software is in, call the appoint group to set up an appointment at your convince. Explain what you are having for issues and have them make notes that I would like the ticket to go the diagnosis team for the work.

When you come in to drop off the car for the appointment I would like to come out for a road test with you.

Let me know if you have any questions."

I will post the result of the firmware upgrade on this thread. By the way, I asked him if BMW automatically upgrades the firmware when a customer has service. The answer was:

We can only update the software if there is a bulletin, test plan states to or if we have an issue we can usually get auth. For the BMW engineer (TSE) to update the software.

My Cars
    2009 328i
    Has anyone had the 2.46 update and noticed smoother shifting/throttle response?

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Nope

My Cars
    2008 E90 328i / GM 6L45E
    any one?

Black Grills / 18 Style 125 / Magnaflow Cat-Back.

My Cars
    2009 328i
    Does anyone know which e9x models version 2.46 applies to?

My Cars
    2012 328IX Sportwagon
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy328is View Post
    I do LOVE the way the car drives in Sport mode, but the cost of premium gas prohibits frequent sport mode runs.
    I only drive in sport mode, I didn't buy a sporty car to drive like my grandma! Premium gas is only ten cents more than mid grade, I'm paying $4.35 gal !

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328xi
    Quote Originally Posted by rhakes23 View Post
    I only drive in sport mode, I didn't buy a sporty car to drive like my grandma! Premium gas is only ten cents more than mid grade, I'm paying $4.35 gal !
    I have been "shifting" (excuse the pun) to driving more in sport mode. I have the impression (not rigorous testing) I lose about 1/2 to 1 mpg. Have you measured the difference in average mpg between normal and sport mode?

My Cars
    2015 BMW 335i xDrive
    Follow up on this post:
    I now regularly shift into DS mode when contemplating any sort of action that will require a "burst" of power such as pulling out into traffic, changing lanes or merging onto highways. I have become completely used to this type of shifting and it is now second nature to me.

Leaving the car in DS mode will not work because in slow moving situations, particularly when turning corners in traffic slowly the transmission freaks out and gets ridiculously jumpy and stutters something fierce.

My Cars
    2011 BMW 328i xDrive
    So I've had my 2011 328i xDrive for about a year now. I noticed the same behavior described here. One thing that I discovered by reading the manual (I know....) is that there's a down shift button below the gas peddle. When you push the gas peddle down to the floor, push a little harder and you'll feel the button depress... I've also noticed that the peak power band (hp & tq) for the motor seems to be between 3500 to 5000 rpm. Anything higher than that and it's running out of torque. I'm attributing that to the detuned intake. So in "manual" mode, try and keep the rpms in that sweet spot and you'll be a bit happier.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast