M3/4/5, Civic SI
    Any future for sedans?

My Cars
    Scrap
    Would be interested in an e34 one.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    I am buying the revised 1.75 x .095 bar without the X bar in place. Basically how his new picture is, is what I will be getting. Instead of the Xbrace there will be a horizontal tube between the main hoop and both tubes connecting to the rear wheel well. I like this design for my application as it is lighter and still very strong.

as long as the 2nd downtube bar starts at the harness bar node (strength, you want them all at nodes), and then terminates on the plate with the second downtube bar.

You do not want to just put a support bar in the middle somewhere.

my build thread http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1621405

For example, my rear section of my cage in my car

"Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    On your cage, you also have a door bar backing up that brace bar. On the roll bar, there will be no door bar. So, i don't think it's too critical where the brace goes.
    Jon

98 M3 Track/Autocross/Street- AST 4100s.
    94 325is beater

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    Quote Originally Posted by SSRI View Post
    Any future for sedans?
    +1 for custom sedan. but from my extensive question asking all the "off the shelf" roll bars they fit both..

Quote Originally Posted by ///36M View Post
    F/I is a game you play with yourself. You convince yourself that with X amount of money and Y amount of time it will most definetly result in Z.
    Two-thirds of the way through X you are one-third of your way to Z. I will keep Y out of this, because the time it usually ends up taking is laughable.
    Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Ill do a sedan. I just need someone to donate their car.
    Specializing in Custom E30,E36,E46 Roll Bars Follow me on instagram @baysidefabrication

My Cars
    97 328is, 04 996TT
    Very nice cage. Will be contacting you soon to order one for my car....

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Just finished one today for a board member, but I made it out of 0.95. Finished weight is 58lbs
    Specializing in Custom E30,E36,E46 Roll Bars Follow me on instagram @baysidefabrication

My Cars
    TV M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Widebody325 View Post
    Just finished one today for a board member, but I made it out of 0.95. Finished weight is 58lbs
    wow thats fast! I emailed you today asking how quick one could be made out of 0.95. I guess the answer is... FAST!

Definitely be picking one of these up.
    Last edited by uconnr; 02-29-2012 at 10:33 PM.

My Cars
    99 M3, 01 F350
    Quote Originally Posted by fatboycowen View Post
    On your cage, you also have a door bar backing up that brace bar. On the roll bar, there will be no door bar. So, i don't think it's too critical where the brace goes.
    absolutely INCORRECT...

you want those bars terminating at a node. The concepts are all the same for a roll bar or a roll cage
    Last edited by 99MPower; 03-01-2012 at 12:04 AM.
    "Torque is like cowbell... you can never have too much." - Michael Cervi

My Cars
    98 S54 M3 / 16 Audi SQ5
    Mine! Can't wait to pick it up!

Ben is VERY knowledgeable and honest and has an extremely fast turn around time. If you're considering a 4 pt bar, definitely get one from him.

My Cars
    '95 M3, '85 535i
    Quote Originally Posted by 99MPower View Post
    absolutely INCORRECT...

you want those bars terminating at a node. The concepts are all the same for a roll bar or a roll cage
    I know nothing about cage/bar design but I'm assuming that nodes are important in cages to avoid shear. For the roll bar, there's no opposing force (like the door bar of your cage that Jon already mentioned) and therefore should not shear under normal circumstances. If you hit a wall with the side of the car hitting straight on and created an axial force through the harness bar, it should create practically no opposing forces in the direction of the brace bar since it's at ~90* angle and would not shear. Now, if you hit the wall side first at an angle, I feel that having it welded at the node would be more beneficial since it wouldn't twist and buckle in between where the harness bar and brace bar connect. This would have to be a pretty severe crash to actually do such damage to the bar and most likely fatal, but for argument sake.. I'm no expert but I just wanted to voice my opinion and see what the experts have to say.

I do really like how the brace bar is underneath the window line if attached at the node.

My Cars
    98 M3,94 325is,07 Avalan
    I'm not suggesting that connecting at the node isn't better. That's pretty obvious. I'm just saying that:

Brace shown > No brace
    Brace at node > Brace shown

The sheet metal at the wheel well is so thin that i doubt either of the braces in a simple roll bar are going to help. I can see it being useful in a cage though.

One aspect no one has discussed is the ability to put wheels/tires into the back seat with the bar installed. In my car, with my bar, with no brace, i am able to stack the tires. I think with the lower brace, that would be more difficult.
    Last edited by fatboycowen; 03-01-2012 at 09:24 AM.
    Jon

98 M3 Track/Autocross/Street- AST 4100s.
    94 325is beater

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    I am going to have him make this controversial brace, crash my car and test whether or not it is an important structual piece

I agree with Jon, it is clearly better than no brace at all but is obviously not the most ideal method, which would be welded to the node. Good enough IMO.

My Cars
    BMW's and SHO's
    Ill do a sedan. I just need someone to donate their car.
    Or a 318ti hatchback...same chassis.

I wish I would've found this thread sooner...I just bought a BIRB and would've preferred doing business with you.
    '95 Swapped Hatchback

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Here is another one I made today for a board member. I like how it came out. Its .095 DOM. Final weight 50lbs even.

My Cars
    95 M3 / 98 ZX2 Lemons
    Looks sweet can't wait to put it in!

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by savage217 View Post
    Looks sweet can't wait to put it in!
    Thats what she said!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    So someone needs to buy my 1.75 x .120 DOM bar that I first built. Price is $440 if you can come get it this weekend. Its taking up space in my garage. Call me if interested 860-324-7935

My Cars
    1999 M3, 2002 530i Sport
    I might as well get a roll bar for my car since I never have people in the back seat

My Cars
    E36 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by mikemxbike4 View Post
    I might as well get a roll bar for my car since I never have people in the back seat
    I think you should

My Cars
    Gt35R E36/6, S60R TI/AC.
    I pm' ed you bout the sedan

Quote Originally Posted by ///36M View Post
    F/I is a game you play with yourself. You convince yourself that with X amount of money and Y amount of time it will most definetly result in Z.
    Two-thirds of the way through X you are one-third of your way to Z. I will keep Y out of this, because the time it usually ends up taking is laughable.
    Welcome to the fun!

My Cars
    E36 M3
    UPDATED PRICE- I will be charging $475 for a 1.75 x .095 DOM bar like the one I have posted in the first post. Without paint will be $460. If anyone wants anything different we can absolutely work something out and price it accordingly. Also I wanted to mention I am including plates that go on the underside of the car that sandwich the stock metal. I am not including hardware at this time, however if someone wants me to supply that I can pick it up and would just pass the cost of it along to you. Thank you all for the support, this is fun!

My Cars
    BMW's and SHO's
    Ben...I thought Id post some info that might be helpful to you.

First...Ive attached a page that has the dimensions of the coupe and sedan.

Second...If you don't already know large items like these rollbars can be shipped nationwide via Greyhound Package Express(bus) for around $100.

Thirdly...Powder coating these bolt in roll bars runs about $250.00 but if you're doing multiples they may be able to get that price down.

Cheers !
    MikeD.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    '95 Swapped Hatchback

My Cars
    E36 M3
    All caught up with orders. I have all week off and can have yours done and able to be picked up by the weekend!

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast