Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: H and R springs + Bilstein sport shocks

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster

H and R springs + Bilstein sport shocks

I just installed this setup on my M roadster ,does anybody have input on them.

I am all for the rough/sporty characteristics - but there is a difference between sporty and downright questionable! Allow me to illustrate...

When hitting a decent sized bump or pothole in the road, it feels as if the front shocks are going to rip right through the shock towers! It is THAT bad, and I don't mean crater-size potholes, just minor ones. Correct me if I am wrong, but that shouldn't be happening.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI
    Bilstein shocks are known for their very "firm" ride. I had H&R sport springs and Bilstein sports shock on my 318TI. Your description sounds spot on.

My Cars
    01 2.5i, 98 1.9 DASC & M
    Hard to diagnose over the internet, but you should expect the ride to be harsh.

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Riding the bump stops probably.

My Cars
    E34 525iT, '99 M Coupe
    I'm running H+R, Konis, and 18" wheels on the Coupe, and, while firm and "sporty", the combo is not the least objectionable. The last car on which I ran Billy Sports was a Volvo 740 Turbo Wagon. Even with new factory springs and OEM wheels, the ride was at best, very unpleasant. Lesson learned.

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe & Roadster
    I have stock shocks and springs on my M Roadster. I have H&R springs and Bilstein Sport Shocks with 18" wheels on my M Coupe.

The Roadster definitely rides the roads smoother. I just did the Coupe shocks (prior owner had H&R springs with stock shocks). I live in Spokane and the roads suck, constantly dodging potholes and eroding road surfaces. I only had a day to drive before snow came again but I like the feel of this setup so far. Firm but feels even more like a slot car on the road.
    Last edited by mcoupe2000; 02-26-2012 at 01:29 PM.

My Cars
    02 e367, 08 Acura TL-S
    I had heard this combo was rather rough, though I don't have personal experience. If it's not to your liking, get it off, sell it, and pick up a coilover set with adjustability.

-Todd

My Cars
    11 128i
    I had H&R sports/bil sports on my 318ti and the ride was garbage. Springs were way too soft and the shocks too stiff. Ditched that stuff for some TCK SAs and the ride is much better now.
    11 128i Space Gray slicktop
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    I like the ride of the H&R/Bilstein combo, though I do agree with the above about the H&Rs being too soft for the Bilsteins. There also seems to be a problem with the H&R springs binding when they are not supposed to. It may have to do with them being too soft for the valving. A simple spring upgrade can probably do wonders.

OP, I also hope you installed the reinforcement plates. You might actually be ripping something out. It's standard procedure to install the reinforcement plates for the front and rear when going with a stiffer suspension.

Rob - 2000 BMW Z3 M Roadster | 1986 Porsche 944 5.3L LM4

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3
    Overdamped shocks combined with too low of a spring rate will give you a really rough ride, which sounds exactly like what you're experiencing.

I have Bilstein HD with stock springs, seem to ride fine. I'm pretty sure that the HDs are valved to be less stiff than the Sport version.

My Cars
    97 Z3 2.8, 98 M Coupe
    Damn, I thought H&R/Bilsteins was a commonly accepted combo here.

I've had a weird mismash of Bilstein sport front shocks, original rear shocks (14 years old!), unknown front springs, and original rear springs, and it was fine, but I'll have to see how it goes after I've finished off the full H&R/Bilstein combo...
    '97 Z3 2.8 - Montreal Blue, Beige
    Mods - RD Fr. strut brace; Short antenna; Hifi LCD+AUX; BMW soft-top; TMS RSM; K&N air; Bilstein struts; H&R Springs; Pedders camber/toe; extra padded M stitched 3 spoke steering wheel ...
    To Do - Interior overhaul; rear window; lightweight rims ...

'98 M Coupe - Cosmos Black, Imola

My Cars
    '99 2.8&Mcoupe, '03 Mini
    I have H&R springs with Koni SAs and the ride was about the same as mz3z2v described when I bought the car.
    I also have an '03 Mini Cooper S that I installed Dinan springs and the same (yellow) Koni SAs on. I played around quite a bit with shock settings on the Mini to get a reasonable ride for a daily driver. At first, they were about the same as the MCoupe on harshness. Eventually, I dialed the shocks back to almost full "soft" (opposite of "firm"), and now they are quite reasonable. Actually, I love the setup I now have on the Mini.
    I then adjusted the Coupe's shocks to near full "soft", and now have a very nice compliant ride without the gut-jarring slams when you hit changes in the pavement.
    The ride is still very firm and responsive, only it doesn't feel like the struts are going to come though the hood any more.
    If your Bilstiens are adjustable, try to dial them softer. It made a world of difference with my Konis.
    I have another Coupe project, and am duplicating the same suspension setup on that one as my other Coupe. I was considering Bilstiens, but read that they were pretty harsh, so I went with what I knew I liked.
    -Donny

My Cars
    1996 bmw z3
    I really thought this combo was the best setup and now im getting confused 96 1.9

My Cars
    1998 BMW Z3 2.8
    I really need to stop reading this thread. I was going to order this set up next week....

-Brian

My Cars
    Several
    I really don't mind the ride, but then again the only thing I can compare it to would be the OEM ride, which was soft.
    "If the Corvette is a rebellious child of the extended automotive family, the M coupe is the blackest of sheep." - via Car & Driver

My Cars
    RX-78-2, RX-93v
    Quote Originally Posted by cleanerPA View Post
    Overdamped shocks combined with too low of a spring rate will give you a really rough ride, which sounds exactly like what you're experiencing.

I have Bilstein HD with stock springs, seem to ride fine. I'm pretty sure that the HDs are valved to be less stiff than the Sport version.
    HD and Sport shocks have the same valving, but HD shocks are made for stock ride hieght and sports are made for lowered cars.

The problem is probably the rear shock valving, since you ride on the rear axle.
    Last edited by Amuro Ray; 02-27-2012 at 07:07 PM.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    Quote Originally Posted by Amuro Ray View Post
    HD and Sport shocks have the same valving, but HD shocks are made for stock ride hight and sports are made for lowered cars.

The problem is probably the rear shock valving, since you ride on the rear axle.
    Yup, both the HD and Sports are the same valving. Maybe the OP has HDs installed instead? The extra shaft length of the HD could make them bottom out with lowering springs. All I know is that my ride is not that bad and definitely doesn't feel like it's jarring at all.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T
    HD and Sport shocks have the same valving, but HD shocks are made for stock ride hight and sports are made for lowered cars.

Yup, both the HD and Sports are the same valving. Maybe the OP has HDs installed instead? The extra shaft length of the HD could make them bottom out with lowering springs. All I know is that my ride is not that bad and definitely doesn't feel like it's jarring at all.

My Cars
    2K M Roady, '86 944T

My Cars
    89 750iL | 91 325iX
    Welcome to the world of lowered cars with sport shocks

Wait till you hit a highway were trucks j brake on it frequently, feels like you are driving down stairs lol

Jake

My Cars
    2000 M Coupe, 318TI
    Quote Originally Posted by FDNYz3 View Post
    I really thought this combo was the best setup and now im getting confused 96 1.9
    While agreeing this combo gives a very firm ride, a ride some would describe as harsh, I loved how this combo transformed my 318TI. But I don't mind a firm ride.

For the price, it is an excellent setup. But definitely not the best setup. TCK SAs on my M coupe are much better and more expensive. From what I've read, ASTs are even better and even pricer.

Set a budget. Go with what you can afford.

Based on my experience, I would go with Bilstein HD on stock springs over Bilstein sports with H&R springs. But lowering is not important to me.
    Last edited by dougmcintyre; 02-27-2012 at 07:55 AM.

My Cars
    S54 e36/8
    A ton of people used to go this route. Until you ride in a coupe with a TC Kline/Ground Control/Koni suspension, you won't realize just how rough and downright displeasing the ride of Bilsteins and H&R springs is.

My Cars
    2001 M Coupe, 2002 M3

Then like the other guy said, the possibility is that you're running on HDs with lowering springs, which will cause you to bottom out on the bump stops.

Or possibly that the front shocks are valved too stiff (that's usually where complaints about ride quality come from) and you need stiffer springs to compensate.

My old STi had overdamped compression valving from the factory, which worked well with the JDM spec springs, but Subaru put softer spec springs in the US cars, which resulted in jittery ride quality. Everyone pretty much reports that the ride quality is better with the stiffer JDM springs. The reason I brought that up is because of the ride quality complaints with the H&R/Bilstein setup.

I've also heard the same thing on other cars- H&R/Bilstein rides too stiff, but when you custom-valve the Bilsteins, giving Bilstein your spring rates and the car in question, they valve them quite well.

My Cars
    11 128i
    If that is the case, I would like to know what springs the bilstein sports were designed for.
    11 128i Space Gray slicktop
    13 WK2 Deep Cherry

My Cars
    2000 M Roadster
    Billy Sports all around on my M Roady. OEM Springs still, and the ride is stiff as hell...

1995 318is (Sold) | 2000 ///M Roadster

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast