Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: To all teens/20s thinking of buying a used BMW. (Limited funds, in school, 540, etc)

My Cars
    89 325is, 84 320i
    im not even 16 yet well i will be in a week but i have e36 with 136k on it and i have mods but i didnt pay for the car just the mods and i dont have to pay for maitnence

My Cars
    97 Awd talon tsi
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackonWhite View Post
    im not even 16 yet well i will be in a week but i have e36 with 136k on it and i have mods but i didnt pay for the car just the mods and i dont have to pay for maitnence
    Enjoy that while it last

My Cars
    BMW Merc Audi
    Quote Originally Posted by New2M3 View Post
    M5 go big or go hm
    LOL, this. Srew finances
    1991 BMW E30 M3 - red/blk - Mint - *BBS* - (The Queen)
    2000 BMW M Coupe - blk/red - lightly modded - (The Track Rat)
    2005 M.Benz E55 AMG - slvr/blk - *Kleemann* - 11.24 @ 121.3mph - (My Daily Driver)
    2005 M.Benz CL65 AMG - blk/blk - *RENNtech* - V12 Twin Turbo - 648rwhp, 736tq - (Stoopid Fast!)
    2007 Audi S8 - Daytona gray/blk - Lambo V10 - Lowered on Rotiform SNA- (Girly Friend's Daily)
    2002 Audi S6 Avant - white/blk - RS6 "look alike" - *GIAC* - BBS LM - (The Work Horse)

My Cars
    97 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by Ragnorak View Post
    It's funny how your thread giving good advice to younger people just blew up into everyone justifying their purchases. This is meant to be a sticky-type post, not a discussion I'm sure.
    Agreed.

New BF.C rule: No one say their age.. WE DONT CARE and it doesn't help anyone in ANY way.

You can ask how much it would cost to maintain a particular car, otherwise I see no reason to say "I'm 20 and I just bought an M3", who gives a crap, tell us more about the car.

My Cars
    02 X5 4.6is
    Nice post OP.

There are a million ways to justify a shitty investment. "But I can afford it" "My other expenses are low" "There are kids with much nicer cars than me"

At the end of the day a car is the worst way to spend your $.

Now that I am aging, own a home and starting to build a nest egg, I would give anything to get some $ back from my youth.

It's so easy to be irresponsible with you are in school, living at home, and you feel the world is yours for the taking. Eventually you will get a wake up call as to just how expensive life is. Then you'll question your decision to buy a car you could barely afford in the first place.

If you want a car that's fun to drive then go buy a Honda SI. 90% of the fun of the BMW at 50% of the cost. In a few years when you have taken care of any outstanding debt, have a home and a career, then you can buy the BMW you've always wanted.

My .02.......
    93 318i red/tan - 131,xxx - bone stock daily driver
    02 x5 4.6is titanium silver/black alcantara - dinan stage 4 - eibach/bilstein - brembo 380/345mm bbk - 149k miles - sold
    95 m3 hellrot/black - dinan stage 1 - koni 1150 - arc8 - 155k miles - sold

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    EpDarks, how old are you? You make a good point that some of the young kids don't see opportunity cost of the money spent, and of the time that could have been focused elsewhere.
    Last edited by OnTheFence; 02-26-2012 at 01:26 PM.

My Cars
    02 X5 4.6is
    I am 26. I dreamed of an M3 from age 16 and put off buying one until I was 25. It was worth the wait...
    93 318i red/tan - 131,xxx - bone stock daily driver
    02 x5 4.6is titanium silver/black alcantara - dinan stage 4 - eibach/bilstein - brembo 380/345mm bbk - 149k miles - sold
    95 m3 hellrot/black - dinan stage 1 - koni 1150 - arc8 - 155k miles - sold

My Cars
    1990 and 1997 M3
    It helps to not travel or have a girlfriend = money for car.

My Cars
    1992 BMW 325i
    Quote Originally Posted by Manhattan View Post
    It helps to not travel or have a girlfriend = money for car.
    Which is exactly what I do!

My Cars
    1987 325is
    Got an e30 at 19 for $1800, partially modded, mods were half ass though and needed alot of work, bought it thinking it would be a good experience to undergo while going through my college automotive program, definitely have learned alot because of it. Im down in the dirt money wise but haven't regretted buying the heap yet (currently down because of broken cv joint). Definitely not the best decision... Oh well Im stoked on it.

My Cars
    96 M3
    Quote Originally Posted by MrBlackonWhite View Post
    trolls be trollin

My Cars
    2001 530i (E39) 128k
    I think if a kid is in a mechanics program, that is a major justification to the money pit car trap. There's no better way to learn your craft than practice and real world experience on your own car.

My Cars
    2009 BMW 335i E90
    Im 20 and have no problem maintaining my 540i, gas, insurance, repairs, etc, going to college and working full time, but i've been lucky with my job and make alot more then the average 20 year old. However, just two years ago... i wouldnt have been able even afford to keep gas in my 540i $70 a week

My Cars
    arctiksilber e36
    It all depends on the person... Im 20 but I learned more from my e36 in the last 4 years of ownership then guys going to technical schools... Now mechanical engineering degree in progress with no sight of stopping... Once all my maintenance is done my car will practically be brand new... But for a kid who just wants a cool car like everybody is saying, this is true stay away because I planned on just changing a few things, ended up trying to restore the damn thing

My Cars
    arctiksilber e36
    It all depends on the person... Im 20 but I learned more from my e36 in the last 4 years of ownership then guys going to technical schools... Now mechanical engineering degree in progress with no sight of stopping... Once all my maintenance is done my car will practically be brand new... But for a kid who just wants a cool car like everybody is saying, this is true stay away because I planned on just changing a few things, ended up trying to restore the damn thing

My Cars
    arctiksilber e36

My Cars
    arctiksilber e36

My Cars
    1997 528i, 2002 525i
    My first e39 bought it at age 21. Taught me a very valuable lesson. Maintenance before mods. By 22 my e39 was looking amazing H&R dropped with 19" and exhaust, sound system, xenon lights, tint, Intake system... List keeps going. What does a nice looking ride do for you when u get stranded on the fwy cause of your cooling system? On my second e39 my car is relentless !! My BMW mechanic can't stop admiring the beauty I bought. A super clean car inside/outside. And even still, my car just left the shop 30 min ago having replaced all spark plugs, oil change and filters. My car will not be ready for mods till next year. Considering my car is at 90% condition, I still don't want to waste money on mods that will eventually be on my car regardless. Priority is getting my car back to 100% pure BMW ! ... That's what a second time in the rodeo does to you. You become smart ! Kids stay away from BMW if all u want to do is make it look like it can drive as fast as 150mph!

My Cars
    '88 735i, '06 RSX
    I was 16 when I bought my 2004 E46, but i did the half and half parent deal, but ive paid them back since, so now I fully own the car. No real complaints here, no big problems other than the front CAB which where PITA

My Cars
    2002 Dodge Durango

Sad, but I needed it.

I intially went onto this forum to find a used 5-series (E39 or a 95' 540i) and kept looking around on the forum and found this thread. You pretty much put a target right on my back (19, college freshman, no job, wants a 540i , 100K+ miles, about $7000 to spend but playing the odds on little repairs). I drive a 2002 Dodge Durango right now that everything is paid for except gas and little maintenance items (oil, fluids and the like). It's a large truck, it sucks gas, but it runs well for the most part. I want to sell it and get something more efficient to drive, more fun to drive and 'sexier'. Guess I'll wait instead of pulling a 'little' money out of my investment account (~$12,000). I just wish I would've bought something else initially. I know my mother would be pissed and not pay for anything if I sold it for a bimmer. I dream of a 2001+ 540i, like REAL BAD. I guess I'll just keep my Durango that has a little rust (not noticeable to most) and buy the f-ing shocks for it and keep it.

One day it'll be mine, but if I don't want to go crazy, I should probably delete my account on this forum.....

And just if anyone wanted to see my proof (so people don't think I'm just helping out the OP)

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1496004

Damn, it's like you ARE my mother!

My Cars
    e92 335i
    I've owned-
    16 yr old 98 M3
    18 yr old 02 330ci & 98 m3
    20 yr 99 m3 and 95 m3
    22 to present (23) Hummer, e92 335i... Working on a Z06 (fingers crossed)
    Of course I've bought and sold lol but never any help from parents I've busted my ass all my life. Work hard play hard

My Cars
    2003 BMW 530i
    Agree that it depends on maturity. Then again it's pretty hard to explain the concepts of things breaking and actually costing stuff to someone who still thinks they're invincible and immune from every problem in the world... and as mentioned above it's always possible to find justification for shitty decisions.

My Cars
    2000 740i Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by EpDarks View Post
    Now that I am aging, own a home and starting to build a nest egg, I would give anything to get some $ back from my youth.
    Hear, hear

I too look back on the huge waste of money as a kid and wish I'd invested it better.. or for that matter, invested it period lol. Wheels, body kits, huge stereo systems, etc etc. *sigh*

Hindsight is 20/20 after all.

My Cars
    E30 325es
    Personally I think your rude. e30's are not exspensive to maintain, update, repair, or mod. survival of the fittest. can't afford it, wont be driving it. thats why i got an e30 over an e36. cost of operation is 3-6 times higher on a slightly newer car. have spent zer0 on any kind of trim or wheels or tint or whatever. I do have a sound system. but I am a sound person sort of speak. I cannot drive or own a vehicle (until I get an additional track only e30 when i have a career etc.) that doesnt have a decent sound system.

I hear you about keeping money for repairs and essential maintenance. I just think your going about it a little too agressively telling collage students not to buy an e30 because they wont be able to afford it. people have passion for their cars. if it means skipping out on eating out to be able to afford an oil change or whatever who cares. hondas suck. I would never wish a honda on someone who wants a bmw. thats like saying "oh you want a awesome gf? nah you can't afford it man you should just hang out with us bros all the time instead." f that noise people want to get laid! lol people want an awesome car that is great to drive and for the most part very reliable! besides if something breaks on an old honda wouldn't u feel bad spending money on that pos rather than spending it to keep you pride and joy running strong? just sayin...

My Cars
    E34 M20 / Red Line
    Nice insight OP. I'm 19 and I wouldn't buy a car w/o having a steady flow of cash (don't have car or job atm) and a good bit of knowledge. I want to buy an e30 325e that is in decent shape and coming to this site always helps me understand more about the car(s). It may not be the best car but I can certainly wait until I start my career after school to begin driving what I want.

Unfortunately, I know people my age who are getting a bmw for status purposes and/or w/ Mommy and daddy helping them make the payments. They wouldn't know anything about the car themselves other than having them take it to the usual oil change. I always tell my friends to never consider a BMW unless they have the money or knowledge of owning and maintaining one. But again people my age have a "buy it now" mentality that is soon gonna hurt them in the long run.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast