Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Importing e46 from Germany

Importing e46 from Germany

Hey All:

Luckily 00-01 and 02-04 e46's are importable (on the exempt list) for importation into the United States;

http://www.regulations.gov/#!documen...2000-7964-0003

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/elig092210.pdf

However, the NHTSA doesn't speak to the eligibility of EPA requirements. Does anyone know if I were to purchase a 323/325/328/330 while over there, with all of the above engines having been sold within the United States, how easy it would be to get it to get the "okay" from the EPA?

From my research it appears all I would need is a letter of compliance from BMW, but I am unsure. Has anyone here done this before? Any tips/advice?

Ah, and before I get asked, why not sell it over there and buy one over here . . . even with the Ro/Ro, currency conversion & registration fees, it is still about 1/3rd cheaper to purchase one there than purchase on here. Used cars in the states are ridiculously overpriced.
    Last edited by ggg05a; 02-23-2012 at 05:54 PM.

My Cars
    98 M3, 03 540it M-Sport
    if they are a 1/3rd cheaper, why not get a bigger/better car? a 5 series even, or some sort of estate?
    '98 M3 5spd - '03 540it 6spd M-Sport

Because only certain cars are available to import. If I could get a 2004+ 5er into the country I gladly would.

That and I'm trying to spend as little as possible. One can pick up an 01 325 for ~3000 euros or $3900 + ro/ro from Bremerhaven -> NYC ~ $800 less than $5k gets me into a e46. In the states a comparable car goes for around $7500+.

My Cars
    2001 325Ci (R.I.P)
    Quote Originally Posted by ggg05a View Post
    Because only certain cars are available to import. If I could get a 2004+ 5er into the country I gladly would.

That and I'm trying to spend as little as possible. One can pick up an 01 325 for ~3000 euros or $3900 + ro/ro from Bremerhaven -> NYC ~ $800 less than $5k gets me into a e46. In the states a comparable car goes for around $7500+.
    plus its eurospec

My Cars
    1990 M5, 1988 535i
    ....But UK cars get so RUSTY.

2000 530i Cosmosshwarz
    1990 M5 Alpineweiss

1988 735iL Burgundrot Metallic
    1982 323i Polaris Silver
    1989 535i Cirrusblau Metallic
    1982 323i Helrot
    1992 520i Sterling Silver
    2004 330i Mystic Blue
    1990 535i Alpineweiss
    1988 535i Delphingrau
    1989 535i Royalblau

I'm not purchasing a uk car. I'm purchasing a German one. Help me out, what is the difference between a usdm e46 and a ddm e46?

My Cars
    2004 325ci

Try this number and they can assist you: Transport (800) 689-2982. Word of caution if you're getting a car that's autobaun driven for 10+ years how much life is really left. I get the TUF Law there is demanding but you have to take this into consideration. Plus the 80% of the euro's don't have upgrades (I could pick it out easily). IMO

Yeah, while it is likely this car has been Autobahn'ed for close to a decade, I'm not necessarily looking for a car to last another decade. I need it to last a year or two so I can pay down some student loans and get a job. The life of a law student isn't glamorous anymore.

Furthermore, there is a cultural difference between Germans and us. There, when a car is advertised for sale, you can generally except complete BMW maintenance records, whereas here a car that is completely dealer serviced with the records to prove it is exceptionally rare.

The decade old cars I'm looking at on Mobile.de are generally in better condition than the 5 year old e46s here. Again, it a cultural thing I believe.

TüV is tough to pass, if a car can pass it it isn't a hooptie, but a very solid piece of machinery. I figure I buy it, put a hundred thousand kilometers on it between there and here, and then turn it into the family "backup" car, as imported cars one cannot sell.

Hey I put a rely here, and it disappeared. Noting was inappropriate or profane. Could someone PM me as to where it went?

My Cars
    2001 330Ci
    Hey I put a rely here, and it disappeared. Noting was inappropriate or profane. Could someone PM me as to where it went?
    Bimmerforums is a dictatorship. Get used to the new America.

If it was OT or something similar to OT, it goes bye bye.
    ~ 18x8 CSL Wheels, LED Tails, LED Plate Lights, Clear Corners, Clear Indicators, Painted Reflectors, USASpec,
    ZHP Shifter, Painted Headlight Trim~

My Cars
    1990 M5, 1988 535i
    I'm not purchasing a uk car. I'm purchasing a German one. Help me out, what is the difference between a usdm e46 and a ddm e46?
    My mistake. Silly me. There must be a reason that no one else does it... Hmmm.

2000 530i Cosmosshwarz
    1990 M5 Alpineweiss

1988 735iL Burgundrot Metallic
    1982 323i Polaris Silver
    1989 535i Cirrusblau Metallic
    1982 323i Helrot
    1992 520i Sterling Silver
    2004 330i Mystic Blue
    1990 535i Alpineweiss
    1988 535i Delphingrau
    1989 535i Royalblau

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    You're the first person I've heard claim used cars in the states are overpriced. For the most part, it seems like European prices are 3x higher than ours. I don't think I could've gotten my car for $20k there...

Heck, a good 330 will cost maybe $15k tops. My understanding is the cost of importing ends up being about that much after all is said and done

Remember, it's not just the exhaust that's different. Headlights are different, dashboards are different (different required thickness in the US), and all the electronics are different. A new dash alone costs about $2k from BMW, headlight would cost about $1500 assuming HIDs. If you don't know how to program the car yourself, that will probably cost you a few thousand too...
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-24-2012 at 01:22 AM.

My Cars
    2001 330Ci
    Automobiles don't reflect in a worldwide market. Market will reflect value based on current market location. Although our market is upside down at the moment..

I don't think this is comparable. I believe when all is said and done it would cost more.
    Last edited by mLuMaN83; 02-24-2012 at 01:56 AM.
    ~ 18x8 CSL Wheels, LED Tails, LED Plate Lights, Clear Corners, Clear Indicators, Painted Reflectors, USASpec,

My Cars
    2001 BMW 330xi
    dont wanna sound harsh... but could someone just answer the poor guys question as to what is required for importing the car? instead of berating him about whether or not its a good idea. he already said he didnt want any of the "why not just buy one here" stuff. he just wants a simple answer to a simple question....
    STITCHES330XI

My Cars
    2005 M3 & 2004 330i
    Quote Originally Posted by mLuMaN83 View Post
    Automobiles don't reflect in a worldwide market. Market will reflect value based on current market location. Although our market is upside down at the moment..

I don't think this is comparable. I believe when all is said and done it would cost more.
    Even still, US is generally known for having very cheap cars even after taking exchange rate into account. I have a very hard time believing you can get an e46 for 1/3 the typical US price. That'd mean literally getting 03-05 ZHPs with 60k miles for $4-5k USD

At least when new, the cars in the US are roughly half the price for the equivalent German market car. I can't imagine that the market is so bad there that it depreciates 6x as much

Quote Originally Posted by Stitches330xi View Post
    dont wanna sound harsh... but could someone just answer the poor guys question as to what is required for importing the car? instead of berating him about whether or not its a good idea. he already said he didnt want any of the "why not just buy one here" stuff. he just wants a simple answer to a simple question....
    It's not a very simple question. We can give generalizations, but ultimately he'll have to contact a registered importer to get a complete answer. It's not easy importing cars into the US, and very few bother given the price situation.

As I mentioned before - he will have to convert everything to US spec. Exhaust, lights, safety equipment, electronics. Then he has to pay $x to get the Feds to sign off on it. The few cases I've read about ended up costing $10k+ on top of the car after all is said and done.
    Last edited by TerraPhantm; 02-24-2012 at 02:14 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

My Cars
    2001 330Ci
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitches330xi View Post

Thread posted by: SchizophrenicDepressedGuy99999
    "Hey, everyone. I have a question. I was planning on drinking bleach tonight when I get home from work tonight and I was wondering the best kind to use and the fastest way to get it into my system. And I dont really want anybody telling me I shouldnt drink it or drink something else. I just want to get my questions answered. Thanks."

I may have exaggerated myself pertaining to the OP a bit. But I like to be colorful.

If he wants to do it thats fine but it's not going to stop people from trying to educate and help other members. In all seriousness, I dont think it's worth the hassle and money to import. Unless of course it's a vehicle that cannot be found or found easily in the US. Such as a Nissan Silvia and R33/R34 Skyline, Alfa Romeo 8C, ect.. God would I love an Alfa 8C.
    Last edited by mLuMaN83; 02-24-2012 at 02:23 AM.

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    If he wants to do it thats fine but it's not going to stop people from trying to educate and help other members. In all seriousness, I dont think it's worth the hassle and money to import. Unless of course it's a vehicle that cannot be found or found easily in the US. Such as a Nissan Silvia and R33/R34 Skyline, Alfa Romeo 8C, ect.. God would I love an Alfa 8C.
    Exactly. I have heard of people importing older/more rare BMWs and it costing up to 10 grand on top of the car. Would a e46 cost the same? Nobody knows ... why? Because nobody I have ever herad of has imported one. Most euro cars did not have all the options their US counterparts did ... so I'd say if you're buying an identical car, by the time you get it over here and get it on the road it will end up costing more and you will have spent a year dealing with various agencies trying to get it legal.

Infinitely easier to just go and buy one here and call it a day (even if it costs a little more ... which I am sure it wont).

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester
    Exactly. I have heard of people importing older/more rare BMWs and it costing up to 10 grand on top of the car. Would a e46 cost the same? Nobody knows ... why? Because nobody I have ever herad of has imported one. Most euro cars did not have all the options their US counterparts did ... so I'd say if you're buying an identical car, by the time you get it over here and get it on the road it will end up costing more and you will have spent a year dealing with various agencies trying to get it legal.

Infinitely easier to just go and buy one here and call it a day (even if it costs a little more ... which I am sure it wont).

My Cars
    '03 Z4, '06 Forester

My Cars
    00 BMW 328i, 05 Jeep Lib
    With all due respect, I think importing a car(doesn't have to be BMW) into usa would be stupid! You guys are exaggerating. Used cars in USA are ridiculously cheap! Turkey, still Europe, our cars worth over $30000!!! Most European countries, the same. If it was cheap and hassle free, I would be importing cars to turkey in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using BF.com

Here is an example of what I say when I mean CHEAP

http://suchen.mobile.de/fahrzeuge/sh...RT&tabNumber=2

Moderator -- why are some of my messaged flagged for approval when others aren't? I don't understand.

dworthy is offline Wagon meister :) BMW Tech Expert
    My Cars
    16 220i 05 325it 05 M3
    Moderator -- why are some of my messaged flagged for approval when others aren't? I don't understand.
    Sound like somebody tattled on you is all.

As for importing, I imported the 535i in my sig and paid 6.5k for everything.
    As the differance between the us and euro E-46 there isn't really much, you could import a 318i and would get maybe the same for a Canadan 320i.

Sorry TerraPhatam, but alot of your info is wrong, you are correct for the older say pre 1990's but not afterwards. BMW figured that it costed more to make two different cars, American/International and Europen versions so they just make one: International. Some slight modification have to be made, like side marker lights and MPH put into the dash, but other than than, there is no differance.
    Darin
    Current:
    16 220i Active Tourer Platinsilver MET (C08)/Dakota Black (PDSW), P7ACA, P7LDA, P7LHA, P9BDA, 6sp Manual - Wife's new toy!
    05 325it Electric Red(438)/Gray(N6TT) ZCW, ZSP 5sp Manual Back set cover, trunk mat, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield, and mud flaps! Mr. Wagon My new Winter car.
    05 M3 Imolarot II(405)/Gray(N5TT) ZCW, ZPP 6sp Manual C.F. Lip, CSL diffuser, SSK, Euro Infra-Rot front windshield and a trunk liner! Mr. Go_Fast Stored for the Winter
    Past:
    95 318is Montreal Blue Met (297)/Beige(K1SN) RIP, killed by an Idiot.
    84 M535i gray market Burgandy Rot Met/Black Leather Lowered by Intrax on bilies, poly everywhere, B&B cat back system, K&N, and a hitch! Da Beast - Still running w/400k+!
    91 316i euro Tizianrot/Gray cloth - E-36 w/M-40 RIP, but great on gas! Best was 38 MPG
    82 528i euro Saphire Blue Met/Blue Leather RIP
    79 525 euro Green/Green RIP
    79 318 Silver/Black - The first one that got it all started
    M-Flight Member

My Cars
    07 328i Coupe
    OP, get a final estimate to import your car from a licensed importer, including any required modifications. No one except maybe one person who has posted on this thread knows anything about what it costs, they are just passing on what they heard, which means nothing. It may be prohibitively expensive, it may not. Find out from someone who knows what they are talking about.
    Last edited by shadow4bimmer; 02-24-2012 at 05:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast