Thread: Let the 0\/\/n4g3 begin...

My Cars
    `11 M3 ZCP

Angry Let the 0\/\/n4g3 begin...

So, the pain has begun. I spoke to the shop manager today about the status of my M5. Looks like my wayward steering wasn't just a loose linkage but rather a worn out steering rack. The cost of replacing it: $1,650 + 3hrs labor (~$270) . I asked them to check the water pump while they were at it. Hopefully that doesn't need to be replaced : . Fortunately, there wasn't any suspension damage from the pothole I hit. I can't wait to see the bill for replacing the EDC suspension later this summer :. Oh well, at least now I'll be able to make a turn without the steering wheel trying to shake itself out of my hands. 111:
    M3 SEDAN CLUB #12
    2011 M3 ZCP
    2006 M3 CS (SOLD )
    1993 E34 M5 Euro-Spec (SOLD )

My Cars
    Boosted1
    you think that EDC is worth the money?

-Sal

My Cars
    `11 M3 ZCP
    Originally posted by Acbimmer
    you think that EDC is worth the money?

-Sal
    Well, to convert the car from EDC to a regular coilover setup would cost almost the same amount. Also, the Jekyl and Hyde nature of the EDC is really "neat-o" and really does work. It's really nice to be able to have a cushy ride around town and a firm, tight ride on the twisties.

So, yeah, I think the effectiveness and uniquness make it worth the extra coin.
    M3 SEDAN CLUB #12
    2011 M3 ZCP
    2006 M3 CS (SOLD )

My Cars
    86 325es
    well at least the engines in good shape

Later,
    Eric
    357 essw ( economy sport super widebody ) built by
    E-Fab Motorsports

My Cars
    1991 E34 M5
    The euro M5 EDC is pretty cool, but really damn expensive to replace. The US spec 3.6 w/ the much simpler SLS was a no brainer to ditch.
    GoppDogg, how many miles on your beast, so I know when to expect a rack change.

click for full size

1991 E34 M5 Dinan Stage3 Suspension, Konis, Dinan Cam Gears and Software, Kelleners Strut Bar, Staggered 8-9in Polished Throwing Stars, Header Back Custom Exhaust with Eisenmann 83mm Race Muffler, Front and Rear K-40 Radar, Passenger Canyon Puke Bags
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypancake View Post
    you're just mad cause e34 m5's will leave 100 foot strips of rubber in front of your house, while hauling a couple of dogs and some groceries, and still enough room to bang your wife in the back seat.

My Cars
    `11 M3 ZCP
    Originally posted by Mblaster
    GoppDogg, how many miles on your beast, so I know when to expect a rack change.
    It's got a shade under 96,000 miles. It's more to do with the feel than the milage, I'd suspect. If the steering starts to exhibit lots of on-center play at speed and/or it starts to shudder while taking curves at speed, chances are the rack is shot.
    M3 SEDAN CLUB #12
    2011 M3 ZCP
    2006 M3 CS (SOLD )

My Cars
    Elise, Evora, NSX,Z4
    why not just get the rack rebuilt? much cheaper