Thread: DIY Window switch cleaning - center console wood removal

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3

DIY Window switch cleaning - center console wood removal

pop the switch out of the console with a flat head instead of pulling the whole rear half apart.
    The official way is the following according to the shop manual:
    wrap insulating tape around tips of round pliers. Apply round pliers on middle web of left and right sides of the window switch in center console to pull out switch and pull up left and right sides separately.
    In case you are concerned that you damage or make scratches to the console or switch, you have to remove the rear part of the center console as described on Johan's website and push the switch with your fingers from below.
    For all switches there are detailed instructions how to remove them from section 61 31 016 thru - 265.

http://www.bmwtechinfo.com/repair/main/481en/index.htm
    Remove the wire connections(one front, one rear), be careful they are brittle.
    Opening the switch
    Now to seperate the two halves. There are four clips total, do one side at a time using two small flathead screwdrivers.

Be sure not to lose any of the small springs. You should now have something like this.

I'm sure by now you've noticed there are two switches missing. Thats because it's your next step. They are held in by the pivot pins on the side. The front ones are more difficult to remove. I used my small flathead and pushed fairly hard (not on the pin but right next to it)till it popped out.
    Cleaning
    I used a small piece of scotch brite pad to remove any oxidation on the contact points of the switch. Here is a comparision photo.

Also clean all contact points on the other half.

Now would be a good time to clean the housing as well, chances are 20 years of dirt, juices, coffee etc have accumlated there. Rubbing alcohol is good for that. Apply some new grease (di-electric) to all contact points.

Your now all ready to reassemble and enjoy your perfectly working window switches.
    Pics and some of the text is from bustedbmw on the E34 Forum, I added my additional comments and links.

In case you are concerned to damage the switch when pulling out with pliers, you can also dis-assemble the rear part of the center console and then push out the switch from below with your fingers.

See here on Johan's site from dshboard removal the corresponding part
    http://bmwe32.masscom.net/johan/dash...al_v1.1-2.html

center console wood removal

I found it difficult to remove the wood console, but I found a technique where you can take a long 1/4" socket extension and poke it up from the side through a hole in the base. Then take a soft hammer and pop up the panel. The front side comes up first. Takes a little finagling...
    http://s71.photobucket.com/albums/i1...SC00119a-1.jpg
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 740i

If you break the plastic...

I pulled the wood panel that surrounds my shift handle, and I broke a couple of plastic trim pieces in the process, but I found a repair.

When removing trim, if you break plastic pieces, they are usually made of thermoset (injection molded) plastic, so you can repair with a soldering iron, just weld the pieces back together. If you need additional material, you can use pieces of scrap plastic as welding rod if needed. About 80% of common household plastic items are injection molded plastic, and these can be easily melted and reshaped to reinforce a broken section on your trim piece.

My Cars
    11/88 E32 750iL+98 E36M3
    yep, I did the same already about 10 years ago, when I did my headliner and "re-welded" the plastic clips on the C-Pillar cover. Pics on my website of the "soldering/welding"
    under fixes >>headliner, even the first pic shows how my japanese buddy was using a household plastic piece on it and it still holds after 10 years, I now use this method more often, useful waste plastic from the household can be easily melted, formed and re-used.
    Shogun tricks and tips for the E32 series are HERE!

My Cars
    1993 BMW 740i

Welding plastic

My Cars
    BMW E32 735i
    Quote Originally Posted by shogun View Post
    yep, I did the same already about 10 years ago, when I did my headliner and "re-welded" the plastic clips on the C-Pillar cover. Pics on my website of the "soldering/welding"
    under fixes >>headliner, even the first pic shows how my japanese buddy was using a household plastic piece on it and it still holds after 10 years, I now use this method more often, useful waste plastic from the household can be easily melted, formed and re-used.

LOL, just today saw that the clip is broken again, but here is what I would try tomorrow.

Thanks a lot