Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: E36 CARB Legal FI

My Cars
    toooo many
    Quote Originally Posted by cky751 View Post
    yeah it's pretty bad over here, a cop was giving my buddy a hard time with his stock vr6 corrado because it had a light weight performance battery in it! I want to turbo my car, but I don't want to have to pull it off every time for smog! The only option really is to get a dinan supercharger that gets heat soaked in five minutes! is it still possible to get the mech tech carb stickers?
    Sell your car and buy my turbo m3, it passes the sniffer and i happen to have a mechtech carb sticker(nothing mechtech was on my car.. ever lol)

mechtech went out of business a year or two back, so carb stickers are next to impossible to get

My Cars
    03 M3
    weakkkk.... don't think they have any of those sniffer ma-jobs here in oakland though...

on a good note, I was talking to my mechanic today and he said obd2 cars 2001 + in about a year will not have to pass a visual inspection and around 2015 they are coming out with a new system where obd1 cars will be exempt by 2020, I already know i'm getting a 95 m3 and boosting that thing so hard its just a matter of time, I will surely boost before then and stay on the down low but once that day hits I will jump for joy
    Last edited by canisM3; 07-21-2012 at 12:50 AM.

My Cars
    '09 135i
    Quote Originally Posted by canisM3 View Post
    weakkkk.... don't think they have any of those sniffer ma-jobs here in oakland though...

on a good note, I was talking to my mechanic today and he said obd2 cars 2001 + in about a year will not have to pass a visual inspection and around 2015 they are coming out with a new system where obd1 cars will be exempt by 2020, I already know i'm getting a 95 m3 and boosting that thing so hard its just a matter of time, I will surely boost before then and stay on the down low but once that day hits I will jump for joy
    that's good news. I was looking at the trm kits and they look pretty stock.

Quote Originally Posted by .Tom. View Post
    Sell your car and buy my turbo m3, it passes the sniffer and i happen to have a mechtech carb sticker(nothing mechtech was on my car.. ever lol)

mechtech went out of business a year or two back, so carb stickers are next to impossible to get
    or hook me up with a copy of the carb sticker?

do you have a thread for your m3?
    Last edited by cky751; 07-21-2012 at 04:28 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    '95 Avus Blue M3|Dinan tune|Cosmos V1 CAI|Recaro|3.23 lsd|Magnaflow| -SOLD
    '95 Cosmos M3 |Cosmos Racing V1 3.5" CAI|Samco rep TB boot|740i HFM|Turner Tune|UUC Pulleys|CF Hood|Depo 6000k|Depo french fogs|Depo Tails|Black Wide Kidney Grill|AA exhaust|Zimmerman Drilled rotors|Sparco|B&M SSK|Koni S&S|BMP Bushings|Wahlbro 255|Stewart Thermostat| 240whp -SOLD
    '09 135i 6mt |BMS JB4 g5iso| MHD BMS Flash| BMS DCI| BMS Chargepipe | BMS Inlets| RB PCV| N54 Perf 3" DP| Wagner FMIC| Ryan Racing DV Valves| Fuel it Stage 2| e60| 480whp

My Cars
    97 M3, 85 318i
    What if I'm running a custom rms stg2 (fmic) and have a dinan sticker? The bracketry on the older rms kits don't have their logo, and I have a cf dinan intake tube I can "impliment" > I wasn't aware you can get an executive manifest for smog.

Custom Stage 3-ish RMS supercharged E36 M3/4/5
    Frankenstein e30 318i commuter

My Cars
    M-power
    Quote Originally Posted by milKt View Post
    It's a wonderful place...to visit.
    Just not to live! lol j/p I like it out here in Cali but the restrictions and cost of living can be a pain!

Quote Originally Posted by cky751 View Post
    yeah it's pretty bad over here, a cop was giving my buddy a hard time with his stock vr6 corrado because it had a light weight performance battery in it! I want to turbo my car, but I don't want to have to pull it off every time for smog! The only option really is to get a dinan supercharger that gets heat soaked in five minutes! is it still possible to get the mech tech carb stickers?
    Aftercooler will help with heat soak. Not possible to get the carb stickers anymore for mech tech.

Quote Originally Posted by canisM3 View Post

They have implemented every city yet but its coming soon. Concord, Walnut Creek and Fremont are the places Ive heard that do them periodically.

Interesting info on the visual for obd2's and smog exempt for obd1's. Never heard of that. But hell I would be all for it! Hopefully goes through but not going to keep my hopes up as Cali is known for flipping back and forth.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristo View Post
    What if I'm running a custom rms stg2 (fmic) and have a dinan sticker? The bracketry on the older rms kits don't have their logo, and I have a cf dinan intake tube I can "impliment" > I wasn't aware you can get an executive manifest for smog.
    Yea you can get pretty screwed with smog so just becareful. AS for the Dinan sticker you should be ok unless the tech wants to be a total prick. Theres a place in Pleasanton where a friend of mine took his car to get smog'd and the tech pulled up a list of parts by inputting in the carb numbers and failed him due to parts that were not listed! As stated just its hit and miss. If you have a place you go to regularly and there not giving you a hard time continue to use them!

My Cars
    95 325i, 00 Z3M, 17 540i
    Well, it’s 2020 and my E36 has been sitting for about 5 years. I now have the time to start restoring it again. Looking to see if there is any new info with CARB exemptions on OBD 1 cars or if there are any available turbo or SC kits out now.

My Cars
    M-power
    Quote Originally Posted by osuwari View Post
    Well, it’s 2020 and my E36 has been sitting for about 5 years. I now have the time to start restoring it again. Looking to see if there is any new info with CARB exemptions on OBD 1 cars or if there are any available turbo or SC kits out now.
    Welcome back. Don’t feel bad mines up and down I keep changing things around myself. Still trying to get little things done like the headliner and some panels. Still working on some engine work as well. I got to many projects though! Hard to focus. Lol

As for carb exemptions none what so ever! Your best bet is a Dinan supercharger with carb sticker for Cali. No other smog legal turbo kits other than what was mentioned previously but good luck finding the kit and sticker at that.

My Cars
    96 M3 97 M3 98 M3 99 M3

My Cars
    F90 M5; E36 M3 Turbo
    When MechTech went out of business after investing too much and selling too little, it’s leftover inventory was bought by Active Autowerk in FL. Active sold turbo kits through about 2007.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12